Dragon Ball Super: What If

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Super: What If

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:40 am

Do you believe DBS would have been different if it just aired straight after the ending of DBZ in 1996?
Would they have did and approached things differently?
I thought this would be an interesting topic.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: What If

Post by Gonstead » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:44 am

Yes. It's called Dragon Ball GT.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:30 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Do you believe DBS would have been different if it just aired straight after the ending of DBZ in 1996?
Would they have did and approached things differently?
Yes,it would've been very different.

The animation,fights&tone would've been on par with DB&Z especially if it was made by the same staff.

The character&transformation designs wouldn't be recolored versions of past designs.

If they did the RF arc,Vegeta would've been the one to get the main battle with Freeza and kill him.

Gohan would've been the hero of at least one arc due to him being as strong as he was.

Goten&Trunks would've gotten a lot more character development.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 pm

If all these story idea's had existed back in the day, then "Z" would simply have covered this material and never had a "time jump" to the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai. Maybe a new OP and theme to go along with it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:30 pm

It would have been part of DBZ. Just the next arc after Buu.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:00 pm

If this was made back then by Toriyama, it'd be a radically different story with a different tone. There definitely would be quirks, given that the Buu saga would be the immediate predecessor to the new saga, but it wouldn't be anything like the new movies or Super (or GT, at that).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 pm

It if has the same staff that GT had, it's bound to get fucked up. But if it the same staff as what Super currently have, it would get cancelled quicker than GT was. I mean, there were many shifts in regards to what kind of tone in anime would be considered a hit among audiences and Dragon Ball Super's comedy oriented shtick wouldn't have gone down well with the average audience. Even it was for Dragon Ball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:07 pm

What if Super came out in 2005 and there was nothing released between 1997-2005?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:What if Super came out in 2005 and there was nothing released between 1997-2005?
Same thing as what already happened/ is happening since GT is practically long forgotten. The hype for Super would have been tremendous if the movies were not released, but ultimately, expectations would not meet reality... at all.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:57 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:What if Super came out in 2005 and there was nothing released between 1997-2005?
Same thing as what already happened/ is happening since GT is practically long forgotten. The hype for Super would have been tremendous if the movies were not released, but ultimately, expectations would not meet reality... at all.
How is GT "Practically long forgotten"? GT has a huge fan base, GT is recognized by the franchise in a number of ways: Heroes, Animanga, Dvds, DLC from Xenoverse (Which I'm sure it sold like hot bread). GT may not be as successful as Z but it is still loved.
Moreover, I don't think TOEI has completely buried GT yet, the time gap still allows for some hope for GT. I believe that in the future we may see elements of GT brought into Super.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:17 am

GT is still pretty dislike by fans today. Just because there is merchandise of it that does not mean anything. GT has forms like SSj4 which is why GT still has merchandise. A lot of fans today still dislike while some still like it. Something bad is always going to have it's share of fans. There's people who are fans of the Super Mario Bros. Movie, Star Wars prequels and Transformers 1-4.
She/Her

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:GT is still pretty dislike by fans today. Just because there is merchandise of it that does not mean anything. GT has forms like SSj4 which is why GT still has merchandise. A lot of fans today still dislike while some still like it. Something bad is always going to have it's share of fans. There's people who are fans of the Super Mario Bros. Movie, Star Wars prequels and Transformers 1-4.
But just because the other half hates the show, it does not mean that the show is forgotten. If you ask me, if people hate it or like it, it makes the show alive since people are still talking about it, no matter the reasons and motivations.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Goku would use a Nokia instead of a smartphone when waiting for Bulma's call.
Art and colors would be 100 times better.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:46 pm

It would be cool to see what Super would have looked like in the old art animation style back in 1996-1997.
She/Her

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:33 pm

It depends if it was still a movie first. Honestly the biggest fault of the series is that they are movie adaptions. The movies tell a story that takes place in 90- 120 mins so in Super we get none of the plot twist and turns provided in previous sagas, hell we barely got any explantions for the events in the movie.

If dbs aired after z and akira already wrote it out and knew where he was going then I'm sure things would be different. We probably wouldnt even started with beerus but instead with a threat that wakes up and provokes the god of destruction to resume his destroying.

Hm now that i write this i dont think the air date wouldve matter, i think the important question would be, how would dbs be if it was apart of the original manga first. Answer a LOT better.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:33 am

If it aired way it is, i can imagine some fans rage, of why we are stuck in Buu Saga period, wanting to see post Uub material.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015