What you think about DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: What you think about DBS?

Post by Cetra » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't think there's any hypocrisy involved. I haven't seen anyone say "Well, I like Super better because it has Toriyama while GT doesn't".
I have seen them and hypocrisy does not need only that sentence. There is a lot about Dragon Ball where people are hypocrites.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Just looking at my anime magazine collection. Grabbed a couple things at random. Came upon DBZ articles in several publications like Animedia and New Type. Lots of articles, how to make Dioramas (New Type), bits and pieces on other works by Toriyama, etc. Haven't come upon any interviews or anything like that. Could spend ages just looking for articles on this or that series. Too bad there seems to be few resources online like where I would need to look for old Toriyama interviews and such. Might end up doing more once I get my new scanning equipment. It's a long winter up here...

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:13 pm

It's a thing. I don't want to dislike it, or even just be ambivalent to it. So far, there hasn't been anything that's really gripped me. I don't hate it, but I don't go out of my way to sing its praises. I just take it for what it is, and hope that it'll do something that's made all the waiting be worth it.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:27 pm

I have only watched up to episode 6 or 7 so my vote might not mean much. However I'm very dissapointed with the show. I will eventually start re watching it when its dubbed and has a batch i can quickly go through but from what I've seen, its a bad show in general. BoG and RoF arent the best DB experience ever so to see that this show is a much worse retelling of them is quite frustrating. I would have thought DB had enough popularity to put a good budget into story telling and animation.

I've been preoccupied with one punch man as its a far superior show which pains me to say :(
Last edited by Shinsa on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Shinsa wrote:I've been preoccupied with one punch man as its a far superior show which pains me to say :(
I ain't ashamed to say that. One Punch Man does everything better than Super. Animation, music, story, comedy especially comedy, sound effects, you name it and One Punch Man does it better than Super does. Super is nice, and it exists. That's really all I can say about it. I had more intrigue in Path to Power which retells Dragon Ball (albeit not that well) than Super. I can say the same about the Hokuto No Ken movies that retell events too. More interesting than Super. F is looking to possibly be pretty good if it decides to truly deviate. Which it seems it just may from the original movie.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:44 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Shinsa wrote:I've been preoccupied with one punch man as its a far superior show which pains me to say :(
I ain't ashamed to say that. One Punch Man does everything better than Super. Animation, music, story, comedy especially comedy, sound effects, you name it and One Punch Man does it better than Super does. Super is nice, and it exists. That's really all I can say about it. I had more intrigue in Path to Power which retells Dragon Ball (albeit not that well) than Super. I can say the same about the Hokuto No Ken movies that retell events too. More interesting than Super. F is looking to possibly be pretty good if it decides to truly deviate. Which it seems it just may from the original movie.

It pains me to say because DB should be treated better. Imagine if super had one punch mans quality and choreography!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Shinsa wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

It pains me to say because DB should be treated better. Imagine if super had one punch mans quality and choreography!
Even if it did have that kind of animation, it'd still falter in so many places. But at least the fight scenes and choreography wouldn't be so dull.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:For me it is a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting new original stories moving the series forward, but all I got was just the TV version of the two movies and no original stories made beyond the filler episodes. But I'll stick to the hope of some payoff to come when Resurrection F's portion ends. I don't think Super will end with just 26 episodes.
Don't worry, after the Golden Freeza arc ends, the new stories will start. The manga adaptation has already gotten to the Champa arc.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

BeholdeR

Post by BeholdeR » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:29 am

Could be better could be worse.

Do I enjoy it? Yes.

Do I sometimes feel there is unnecessary stuff in there? yes.

I dislike how Buu has changed, I like the world building and how we see more of Whis and Beerus.

When we get to ''unseen'' stuff, I'll probably like it more :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:If Gohan fights, he is 100% getting knocked the **** out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 am

Shinsa wrote:I would have thought DB had enough popularity to put a good budget into story telling and animation.
Being popular is why it's getting this poor treatment cause Toie knows the fans will watch and buy it regardless of it's quality.
Shinsa wrote:Imagine if super had one punch mans quality and choreography!
It would look similar to the last 2 movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:07 am

sintzu wrote:
Shinsa wrote:I would have thought DB had enough popularity to put a good budget into story telling and animation.
Being popular is why it's getting this poor treatment cause Toie knows the fans will watch and buy it regardless of it's quality.
Shinsa wrote:Imagine if super had one punch mans quality and choreography!
It would look similar to the last 2 movies.
Thats exactly why I've stopped watching and supporting super!

About qauilty, the movies arent the best out there and definitely not the best DB animation but you'd expect super to atleast try and match it.

Problem is, if Super was good and they put a lot into it i have no doubt they would receive much more from the fans and new fans.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:09 am

Why would anyone expect a long-running series to try to match the animation of two films?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:12 am

sintzu wrote: Being popular is why it's getting this poor treatment cause Toie knows the fans will watch and buy it regardless of it's quality.
No its getting whatever treatment its getting because of Toei. I say this because give dragon ball to Madhouse and you bet its going to be the best quality.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 am

As of these past 19 episodes, I find DBS pretty mediocre. I've spent too many years with the franchise to drop it though.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31 am

Comparing first 20 episodes of DBZ, DBGT and DBS, I think DBS wins hands down (except for Ep. 5 animation). Probably DB Kai is better (I haven't seen it though, I preferred to read the manga) but anyways DBS is re-telling stories most of us already know. I'm sure it will pick up with U6's saga. The manga is already there and judging by the way things are going, it will probably be awesome.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

Doctor. wrote:Why would anyone expect a long-running series to try to match the animation of two films?
Because Z was pretty close to it's movies back in the 90's.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why would anyone expect a long-running series to try to match the animation of two films?
Because Z was pretty close to it's movies back in the 90's.
Yes, one or two episodes in 50. Most episodes looked like shit.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I'll reserve judgement until the Universe 6 arc, but so far, I like it for what it is. It's clear to see that it's not trying to be something groundbreaking, so right now I see it in the same way that I see the likes of the 2008 special. Almost all of the new material has been really fun to watch, but so far it has only been comedy and slice-of-life, so that's not a great indicator of how well they will handle the U6 vs U7 tournament when it comes around.

The animation has also been getting gradually better and more on-model recently as well, so that's promising.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm

emperior wrote:Comparing first 20 episodes of DBZ, DBGT and DBS, I think DBS wins hands down (except for Ep. 5 animation). Probably DB Kai is better (I haven't seen it though, I preferred to read the manga) but anyways DBS is re-telling stories most of us already know. I'm sure it will pick up with U6's saga. The manga is already there and judging by the way things are going, it will probably be awesome.
Goku and Piccolo vs. Raditz, Saiyan lore > Everything Super has to offer > Shit > Black Star Dragon Ball Saga
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku and Piccolo vs. Raditz, Saiyan lore > Everything Super has to offer > Shit > Black Star Dragon Ball Saga
Note that half of that "Saiyan Lore" consisted of Kaio telling Goku a story about his people that was completely untrue.