How old were you when you first started watching DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: How old were you when you first started watching DBZ?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:42 pm

The first time I really watch the series was in 1997 when I was 6. I saw the first four episodes of the Pilaf saga with the Ocean voice cast on VHS. I didn't like it as a kid because I found it weird.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm

I started watching DBZ in 2011, when it was rerun on DR Ramasjang, so I was 10 at the time. Now I'm 15. To think it's been five years. Speakong of the number five, that was my age … I think … when I was first exposed to the series through Budokai 2, but I didn't even know what Dragon Ball was at the time.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Started regularly following in late-end '92, which would've made me about 8 or 9. First exposure however was roughly '90 or '91-ish, in which I would've been maybe 6 or 7. My birthday's in a weird month, which sometimes makes it somewhat tricky to nail down my exact age when going back far enough year by year.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Summer 2001, so I was 9. It's been fourteen years, I guess.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: How old were you when you first started watching DB?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:03 pm

End of 5th grade for DB and that summer for DBZ.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:17 pm

It was right around my 12th birthday in 1996, which is probably the perfect age to get into it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:22 pm

I was 8, the first Budokai game was actually my first exposure to the franchise that a friend had, he had tons of unopened figures on his wall as well, and I soon followed in his foot steps, though I think he left the franchise as we got older. Naturally I started watching the show after seeing the game, and I believe Goku fighting Nappa is where I started the show at this age around 2003. Over the years, I came and and went a few times, but I always kept checking in on upcoming new stuff. DBZ, Yu-gi-oh!, and Naruto where my things growing up.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:59 pm

I was 6 years old and it was the year 2000 when I first watched DBZ on Cartoon Network.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Started watching in....'98, I believe. I would have been 8 or 9, depending on what time of year it was.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:54 am

MajinMan wrote:I think I was around 4-5 years old but I'm not too sure. It was before 2001 at least. Maybe.
This. I can remember watching the show at the turn of the millennium when i was still in Kindergarten.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:04 am

15, just last year. :D
I blame Naruto for this.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Must've been the year 2000 when I was 8 years old. This was around the time my parents finally got the premium channels here in the UK. I remember flipping through and watching stuff like Beast Machines then I noticed Dragonball Z was showing on Cartoon Network. I tuned in due to hearing about the show from others at school and the first thing I saw was Piccolo fighting Imperfect Cell. Needless to say I was hooked from that point on and the very next day I bought a Goku action figure. It had no poseability whatsoever but still, fond memories nonetheless.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:03 pm

I remember being 8 and playing a weird game on my friend's DS called Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2. I was 13 when just over 2 years ago I saw an advert for the Saiyan Saga of DBZ Kai on the UK channel named Kix that my younger brother watched Power Rangers on at the time. It featured the "over 9000" line which I remembered being referenced in something (though I can't remember what exactly), and I decided to start watching it. Once it reached the end of the Cell arc I was pretty well versed on the ins and outs of the franchise via the internet, so I knew that fusions, Buu, and SSJ 4 were all things, and that there was a prequel to Dragon Ball Kai (which I knew was a remaster of Z) named simply Dragon Ball. So in short, I then read/watched pretty much everything (subbed), and now I watch Dragon Ball Super with my younger brother, who is coincidentally, 8 years old!
Last edited by KameRule on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:40 pm

10 or 11, thereabouts
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:05 pm

4/5 years old maybe. With the French Dub in the end of '90s. With Dragon Ball (the first series) in French, with in simultaneously Dragon Ball Z Boo (Boubou :shh: ) Saga. And in 2000 (+-, idunno) for the rest of the series (Saiyen - Freezer - Cyborg sagas). And for DBGT, barely in the early 2000/2001, in French, always.
For the Japanese version, that was in 2005/2006 maybe...
"Sorry for my bad english."

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:27 am

I got into Dragon Ball a bit later than my peers. It was around 5 years ago, and I was a high school freshman, and I had seen that Dragon Ball Z Kai was airing on NickToons. I was already an avid fan of Naruto, but hadn't gotten into other anime yet, so I decided I might as well make Dragon Ball my next series. I began by reading the Dragon Ball manga, and the rest, as they say, is history.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

AS_Saiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AS_Saiyan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:20 pm

I believe it was 2005, I was 5 years old, the Boo arc was airing in Israel at that time. I didn't see all of it, but I did see a lot of episodes, mostly the start of the arc, from Great Saiyaman up to the Gotenks vs Boo. I didn't watch the episode after those, but after they've finished airing the whole series they've started all the series all over again (Z) I saw most of the Saiyan arc, and parts of early Freeza arc and early Cell arc. Than I was like 6-7 years old when GT started airing, and that was when I was REALLY hooked. I really loved GT at the time, and I still do to this day.
New User :) A Dragonball fan for over 10 years. My favorite character(s) are Kuririn and Goku.
And yeah, I need to find better signature.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Wow you where 5 years old a decade ago. I feel super old right now :P .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:36 am

I saw the original 1995 dub of Dragon Ball...so I was ten years old at the time.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:01 am

Summer of 1999. I was 23.

I started out with some rented VHS tapes after hearing what I might be working on. I think I had flipped by on TV before, but never really watched.

I'm so old haha. I'm 40 now. I think I win for latest start, and just plain oldness.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com