Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 84

Post by cuartas » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I tried my hand at "correcting" Yamamuro's recent art.
https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/statu ... 3991492608

I would imagine it will help speed things along in improving Super's schedule.
Can you make a side by side comparison ?
Sure;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I don't have the most stable hands and I didn't take much time to clean up my lines.
Speaking of, in dbz during boo saga there are 2 nose desings, the one you made and one with a straight line, like this one

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Which one do you like more? for me both are ok

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Not a fan of the straight line nose, but it was mainly used when the camera was looking down at the character if I remember correctly.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 pm

There was also a third way of drawing head-on noses when characters were grimicing by drawing a "v" with skin folds above it.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Toyotaro draws them like this quite often and out of all three I think it looks the best.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:33 pm

cuartas wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
kinisking wrote: Can you make a side by side comparison ?
Sure;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I don't have the most stable hands and I didn't take much time to clean up my lines.
Speaking of, in dbz during boo saga there are 2 nose desings, the one you made and one with a straight line, like this one

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Which one do you like more? for me both are ok
I feel like the straight line version makes the nose feel stilted and a little unnatural to be honest.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Not a fan of the straight line nose, but it was mainly used when the camera was looking down at the character if I remember correctly.
not necessarilly

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 pm

cuartas wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Not a fan of the straight line nose, but it was mainly used when the camera was looking down at the character if I remember correctly.
not necessarilly

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Goku's head is tilted down.

ogkftg

Post by ogkftg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:That's kind of disappointing, but it's no surprise. This is DBS after all. Anyways, welcome to the forum.
Thanks!
dhaval_dongre wrote: Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum !!
Thanks!
ArchedThunder wrote:That's straight up Gohan... I still feel like he might be practicing for Super, even if it might be a while before he works on the series.
The thing is that he's doing animation direction for a seasonal anime with fairly detailed designs so unless it has a good production schedule I doubt he would have time produce good work for another series but of course this is mostly speculation.

The director of that anime has DMed me before so maybe I should ask him lol.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh man I would absolutely love if he was on the Fairy Tail movie, UK screening for next month just got announced would love to see what he can do in a movie and on the big screen his work in the series has been good!
The doodle of Gohan does give hope though we could maybe work on DBS sometime.
Lucky! I hope Funi brings it to Canada sometime soon, waiting 6 months for Film gold wasn't fun so I hope we get it sooner than that : p He follows the twitter accounts of most series he works on so I believe it's a safe assumption we'll get some of his work on it.
Shreyas_Singh wrote:Attack on Titan manages to blend swinging 2D characters with moving 3D backgrounds quite well, why can't DBS do the same? I think having more dynamic and freely moving backgrounds will do a great service to the action,since there's a lot of flying. Hopefully the tournament ring is full time CG rather than still paintings and few awkward CG shots. This has been my big gripe with Super, very little background animation, even lesser than DBZ.
Pokemon XY/XY&Z also had tons of 3D backgrounds and it really makes the foreground action a lot more exciting, honestly I kind of want to see Higashide do something with 3d backgrounds : p. Doesn't Toei have a CG department? Maybe it's in the realm of possibility after all lol.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:48 am

ogkftg wrote: The thing is that he's doing animation direction for a seasonal anime with fairly detailed designs
What show?

ogkftg

Post by ogkftg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
ogkftg wrote: The thing is that he's doing animation direction for a seasonal anime with fairly detailed designs
What show?
Ōshitsu Kyōshi Heine.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:51 am

ogkftg wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
What show?
Ōshitsu Kyōshi Heine.
I found artwork he did that was in AniMedia, but I can't find any details on his actual work on the show. Is the show a single cour? If so it's possible he finished his work on that show already or is nearing finishing it, and the current arc of Super could go well past the current cour.
I think the Battle Royale is probably going to start in late May or early June and last a few episodes, but I also don't think it will actually end up being the end game of the arc. Shida not working on Dragon Ball right now but saying he's going to be returning makes me think this even more. I wouldn't be surprised if say Shida started work on a Super episode in a week or two and that episode aired at the end of June, Takahashi Yuya could probably start work on an episode around the same time, maybe in early May.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 am

#87 Image

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:05 am

Sodhi wrote:#87 Image
Don't recognize the artist, I don't think it's Manabe. Looks nice, though the shading on Goku's hair looks a bit odd and 17's eyes are a bit weird.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:42 am

That Goku doesn't look like Yamamuro's. I am really glad that Tsuji and Ide let others have their own take on the designs. Just hope that this encourages other animators to work on the series.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 am

Goku's mouth & nose looks like Tate for me, but seeing how the camera angle is. It might be someone else. Maybe someone new? And Goku's hair is bothering me a bit.

It looks very good though.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:05 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:
Goku's mouth & nose looks like Tate for me, but seeing how the camera angle is. It might be someone else. Maybe someone new? And the Goku's hair bother me a bit.

Definitely not Tate.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:09 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote:
Goku's mouth & nose looks like Tate for me, but seeing how the camera angle is. It might be someone else. Maybe someone new? And the Goku's hair bother me a bit.

Definitely not Tate.
I guess that looked too polished and detailed to be Tate, it really is someone else then. Maybe the same guy who did the animation on my Profile Gif?
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 am

Gashif Aldi wrote: I guess that looked too polished and detailed to be Tate, it really is someone else then. Maybe the same guy who did the animation on my Profile Gif?
Your avatar is from 86, the image is from 87, in all likelihood they are different artists.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:58 am

That's Manabe :thumbup:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:01 am

Ajay wrote:That's Manabe :thumbup:
Really? What's the tell?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:22 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote:That's Manabe :thumbup:
Really? What's the tell?
Aside from the nose, it's the neck. Not really sure how to put it into words - it's just really thick with large traps? Kinda bulged on the sides too.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Describing traits is hard! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.