Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Not to mention we still have that "big announcement" to come.
Was that not the start date of the Universe 6 storyline?
Was that the announcement? Because if so, I missed it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Not to mention we still have that "big announcement" to come.
Was that not the start date of the Universe 6 storyline?
Hardly call that "a big announcement"..

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Made some charts. After just first 6 months of Fiscal Year 2016 at both Toei and Bandai, Dragon Ball has already made as much or nearly as much as in some of the best previous Full Fiscal years. Everything points to record year in Dragon Ball licensing, merchandise, distribution and sales profits at both companies. Toei doesn't disclose their own Full-Year Forecast, but Bandai does and after 1st half this big there's little doubt about their projected numbers.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Basaku wrote:Made some charts. After just first 6 months of Fiscal Year 2016 at both Toei and Bandai, Dragon Ball has already made as much or nearly as much as in some of the best previous Full Fiscal years. Everything points to record year in Dragon Ball licensing, merchandise, distribution and sales profits at both companies. Toei doesn't disclose their own Full-Year Forecast, but Bandai does and after 1st half this big there's little doubt about their projected numbers.

Wow! That is impressive!! Really great to know. People sure love to buy Dragon Ball Toys i can see.
Thanks man.
Keep us updated if you will.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:23 am

Basaku wrote:Made some charts. After just first 6 months of Fiscal Year 2016 at both Toei and Bandai, Dragon Ball has already made as much or nearly as much as in some of the best previous Full Fiscal years. Everything points to record year in Dragon Ball licensing, merchandise, distribution and sales profits at both companies. Toei doesn't disclose their own Full-Year Forecast, but Bandai does and after 1st half this big there's little doubt about their projected numbers.
Man, that heavy decrease in merchandise sales from 2009 to 2011 perfectly coincide with when Kai was on the air in Japan. There's no shock in that. Dragon Ball fans in Japan were actively not buying merchandise with "Dragon Ball Kai" on it. I'm not surprised at all the licensing revenue hitting a recent record high. 2015 gave use Ressurection F, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Man, that heavy decrease in merchandise sales from 2009 to 2011 perfectly coincide with when Kai was on the air in Japan. There no shock in that. Dragon Ball fans in Japan were actively not buy merchandise with "Dragon Ball Kai" on it. I'm not surprised at all the licensing revenue hitting a recent record high. 2015 gave use Ressurection F, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
At least it brought in international money from selling TV rights and all. Fast forward to 2013 aka the "golden age" of DB Heroes and Toei hit record low in overall DB profits

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Basaku wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Man, that heavy decrease in merchandise sales from 2009 to 2011 perfectly coincide with when Kai was on the air in Japan. There no shock in that. Dragon Ball fans in Japan were actively not buy merchandise with "Dragon Ball Kai" on it. I'm not surprised at all the licensing revenue hitting a recent record high. 2015 gave use Ressurection F, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
At least it brought in international money from selling TV rights and all. Fast forward to 2013 aka the "golden age" of DB Heroes and Toei hit record low in overall DB profits
They also hit a record low in merchandise sales in 2011... when Kai was still on the air. The following year merchandise sales spiked in Japan, with Toys and Hobby Business sales increasing year upon year and eventually reaching new heights. No doubt thanks to the domestic success of Dragon Ball Heroes. As far as licensing revenue goes, the only reason it was that low in 2013 was because Dragon Ball Kai had finished its original TV run in most countries by that time and most international distribution companies were slow in licensing and disturbing Battle Of Gods that year. Most international companies only started to distribute Battle Of Gods in 2014 and it shows in the revenue brought in that year compared to the previous. Plus, Dragon Ball Heroes is merchandise based franchise solely based in Japan and isn't licensed anywhere outside of that country.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: They also hit a record low in merchandise sales in 2011... when Kai was still on the air. The following year merchandise sales spiked in Japan, with Toys and Hobby Business sales increasing year upon year and eventually reaching new heights. Now doubt thanks to the domestic success of Dragon Ball Heroes. As far as licensing revenue goes, the only reason it was that low in 2013 was because Dragon Ball Kai had finished its original TV run in most countries by that time and most international distribution companies were slow in licensing and disturbing Battle Of Gods that year. Most international companies only started to distribute Battle Of Gods in 2014 and it shows in the revenue brought in that year compared to the previous. Plus, Dragon Ball Heroes is merchandise based franchise solely based in Japan and isn't licensed anywhere outside of that country.
But it is not a domestic-only franchise & brand and international reveue is just as important with numbers like this, hundreds of millions or billions of yens. Small increase in domestic merch and licensing didn't change half or two-thirds overall loss in money DB used to bring for Toei. One could wonder whether being content with Heroes 'success' and focusing on that wasn't overall detrimental to the franchise with international money bottoming for 3 years

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:50 pm

2011 was not only the end of Kai 1.0 but also the tsunami year -- I imagine that had to have an effect on domestic sales.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:42 am

Strong merchandise sales shows that Super won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Toei said that toy sales come first and ratings are a after thought for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:23 am

Lord Beerus wrote:As far as licensing revenue goes, the only reason it was that low in 2013 was because Dragon Ball Kai had finished its original TV run in most countries by that time and most international distribution companies were slow in licensing and disturbing Battle Of Gods that year. Most international companies only started to distribute Battle Of Gods in 2014 and it shows in the revenue brought in that year compared to the previous.
It's worth mentioning that, in Japan, the fiscal year goes from April to March. So "Fiscal Year 2013" actually means April 2012 - March 2013. It ended at the same time Battle of Gods was opening there, that's why the movie didn't affect it.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:26 pm

It always feels good when we see the franchise we love perfom so well. Now, if Toei could surprise everyone (in a good way) with the Universe 6 arc...
30 years old and still kicking ass. That's something else! :clap:

Looking back in 1995, when I was kid and I was watching this on TV, I never realized I was seeing the birth of a legend.
20 years later and here am I, still waiting for a new episode every week. Some things never change. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:19 am

Araki wrote: It's worth mentioning that, in Japan, the fiscal year goes from April to March. So "Fiscal Year 2013" actually means April 2012 - March 2013. It ended at the same time Battle of Gods was opening there, that's why the movie didn't affect it.
Aye, should've probably emphasized it more on charts. Also worth mentioning - the exchange rates. Yen got much stronger after economic crisis which only further decreased profits from international markets for Toei and Bandai:

Fraxiel

Post by Fraxiel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:18 am

Sooo I'm not really good with these stuff, but I can tell that Dragon ball is doing well, can someone explain if this is right? and how it affects the series? would be really appreciated.. ALSO there should be a Toriyama interview at 21 January, Maybe a new arc announce?????

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:56 am

Fraxiel wrote:Sooo I'm not really good with these stuff, but I can tell that Dragon ball is doing well, can someone explain if this is right? and how it affects the series? would be really appreciated.. ALSO there should be a Toriyama interview at 21 January, Maybe a new arc announce?????
Yes, to make a long story short, Dragon Ball has been doing very well in terms of merchandise sales and licensing revenue since 2013. This is due the fact that since 2013, Dragon Ball has produced Battle Of Gods, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Resurrection F and Dragon Ball Super, which have all been successes domestically in Japan and internationally. Not mention the domestic success of Dragon Ball Heroes.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:16 am

This is exactly how you start a new year. More Merchandise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0t11f ... e=youtu.be

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 am

Sodhi wrote:This is exactly how you start a new year. More Merchandise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0t11f ... e=youtu.be
That is super cute. :)

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 am

Not to take credit from Super and F, but I'm sure Xenoverse also had an awful lot to with this. It's easily the best and most successful Dragon Ball game since 2008 (when Burst Limit was released)
Draconic wrote:Toriyama does seem to have a pull to his name, after all and since it was his idea to have 12 universes
GodVegetto91 wrote: And let's not forget that Akira Toriyama himself was the one who originally came up with the concept of 12 universes..(out of his own free will)
Was this ever confirmed? For all we know, it might have been Watanabe's idea.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:42 am

Kakarotto92 wrote:Not to take credit from Super and F, but I'm sure Xenoverse also had an awful lot to with this. It's easily the best and most successful Dragon Ball game since 2008 (when Burst Limit was released)
Nah, games have a very limited impact on merchandise sales compared to a movie or tv series. Heroes is a living example of this.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 am

Araki wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:Not to take credit from Super and F, but I'm sure Xenoverse also had an awful lot to with this. It's easily the best and most successful Dragon Ball game since 2008 (when Burst Limit was released)
Nah, games have a very limited impact on merchandise sales compared to a movie or tv series. Heroes is a living example of this.
They should have made a game like Disney infinity or Skylanders, where you need to buy the figures to use the characters in-game. I have no idea, if the companies behind those games have seen an increase in merchandise, because of that special game-mechanic, but it seems like a logical way to have the toys play an important in the games and thus likely to increase their sales.