FUNimation to Launch New Cable Channel in 2016

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

FUNimation to Launch New Cable Channel in 2016

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Looks like Funimation plan to launch their own cable channel in Q1 of next year.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 92374.html

Anyone think this is where Dragon Ball Super will air when it finally gets dubbed? Perhaps Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z will be shown regularly on the channel as well?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: FUNimation to Launch New Cable Channel in 2016

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:27 pm

I watched their old channel on TV back when they had it. If my carrier carries it, I'll check out their new channel.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:05 pm

It's possible, but they might also just release them directly to their website for streaming. Come to think of it, they might even take Super to Toonami. We'll just have to wait and see.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Hopefully they'll air Kai's Buu arc so we can get it on Blu-ray as soon as possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Dragon Ball Super would be one hell of a show to launch a channel with. Given Toei were (all but confirmed to be) after a TV deal, this seems like a lovely little loophole.

But knowing how these things play out, it won't happen.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:23 pm

This is cool news, but Toonami is still popular and anime on Toonami still does very well. I do not want Toonami to die again if this over shadows it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Did Dragon Ball Kai ever air on the existing Funimation Channel?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:06 pm

IIRC, Dragon Ball/Z/GT never aired on the original FUNimation channel...or if they did it wasn't until right before it went off TV. Didn't that have something to do with CN/Nickelodeon owning broadcast rights? If so, that might not be the case for Super.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Kai was originally on Nick Toons first. From what I've hear that Funimation offer to air Kai to Adult Swim and Adult Swim said no. So they give it to Nick Toons since there was not much opinions. Toei always wants to have TV deals for Dragon Ball from the looks of it.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Kai was originally on Nick Toons first. From what I've hear that Funimation offer to air Kai to Adult Swim and Adult Swim said no. So they give it to Nick Toons since there was not much opinions. Toei always wants to have TV deals for Dragon Ball from the looks of it.
Oh, the irony of that is just astonishing given that Kai became a big ratings hit on Nicktoons and Adult Swim would end up picking up the show a few years later anyway.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Big Momma wrote:IIRC, Dragon Ball/Z/GT never aired on the original FUNimation channel...
Dragon Ball definitely aired on their channel.

I kind of don't see them burning off Super on a new, unknown cable channel, but I guess if they stream it as well, then it doesn't really matter what TV block or channel it airs. Toonami would have more eyes.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:13 pm

Big Momma wrote:IIRC, Dragon Ball/Z/GT never aired on the original FUNimation channel...or if they did it wasn't until right before it went off TV. Didn't that have something to do with CN/Nickelodeon owning broadcast rights? If so, that might not be the case for Super.
The original Funimation Channel ends on on December 31st. Right now it doesn't look like they air anything Dragon Ball.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:29 pm

It would make more sense to air Super on Toonami since they would get more viewers. Jason DeMarco said it's up to Toei on what happens to Super in the US. Since a TV deal is probably made then we may not see Super for a while in the US. For Kai to be 100% compete on Toonami then it may not happen until 2017. I think most fans in the US can wait since most US fans watch the series dubbed over subbed.
She/Her