Mental Ki Abilities

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Mental Ki Abilities

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:22 pm

We've seen several time that Ki isn't just about making you fly or shoot lasers or punch really hard, it also has several telepathic and telekinetic abilities. My question is, how far do these go? We've had being capable of mentally linking up multiple people across different planets and even the ability to read minds.

But what about invading peoples dreams? Or to tampering with their memories, placing mental suggestions in them while they sleep or even waking someone out of things like comas?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Mental Ki Abilities

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:25 pm

We've seen mind control though Demigra and Babidi's magic, I'm not sure if it qualifies as Ki though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:We've seen mind control though Demigra and Babidi's magic, I'm not sure if it qualifies as Ki though.
I don't think it does. Magic and Ki are treated as distinctly different things from what I recall.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:14 pm

didnt kid gohan and krillin fight mentally and actualy got exhausted?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Babidi had some great mental Ki abilities. He was able to read minds. Same with the Supreme Kai.

Piccolo was also able to talk to Goten and Trunks telepathically even though they were in another dimension (RoSaT). Maybe Kami had something to do with that ability, because I understand being able to talk to someone telepathically even though they are in different parts of the universe, but telepathically communicating through different dimensions is another animal.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:52 pm

It seems you can do some of these types of things with normal ki, but to do the more advanced techniques you need to be a Kami/Kaioh/Kaioshin/Wizard
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:52 pm

I remember Goku, upon arriving on Namek reading Kuririn's mind. The way he said it, seems the ability was learned naturally and he instinctively used it. Since Goku didn't any special training, only zenkais abuse and gravity training, he must have gained the ability simply by getting stronger.

It's quite plausible it could be used the way you describe it. However, it would probably be incredibly difficult to utilize during combat.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:19 am

Didn't Master Roshi read someone's mind in Dragon Ball, also?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Muffin Man wrote:Didn't Master Roshi read someone's mind in Dragon Ball, also?
He did, in fact he's the first person to do it in the manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Korin also read Goku's mind when he climbed to the top of Korin Tower in the manga, too.