Rock the Dragon boxset

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Rock the Dragon boxset

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:33 pm

I would like to know is it worth getting this set for over $150. I want this for collecting purposes but is it worth it, will they release something like this again?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Rock the Dragon boxset

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Only you can answer that for yourself. Basically, it amounts to either: (1) did you originally watch that version and want to watch it again? and/or (2) do you take a deep interest in the multiple levels of production the series has seen internationally, and specifically in North America?

It's somewhat of a miracle they released it in the first place, considering how small the potential market for it is. I wouldn't expect it to ever resurface again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, since it will be the only way to get those episodes in good quality and with no other release in sight I guess I'll get it. The cheapest I've seen so far is 150.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:13 pm

If you want those early original American broadcast episodes the Rock the Dragon edition may be a better cost-effective option than collecting the old singles. I'd love to see sets like that for the rest of the series to be released, but I don't think it will ever happen unless this version of the series airs on TV again and increases demand.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Wow, I'm glad I got it when I did. If you want a collectors set I'd say get these. If you just want the episodes I'd get the singles.

Rock the Dragon:
Complete set in collectible box and book w/ all 3 movies edited (Only place to get the first tree of might dub)
Video is zoomed in a bit and the colors are not as vibrant as other releases
Contains next epsiode previews and all eye catches

DVD singles
Cheaper
Richer colors
poorer encoding
no NEP (Madman DVDs do have them)
Multable boxes (Saiyan, Namek and Movies)

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:I would like to know is it worth getting this set for over $150. I want this for collecting purposes but is it worth it, will they release something like this again?
I waffled on buying these when they were on pre-order, I think they originally retailed for $60? I'm regretting it now. Bottom line, don't be like me and decide whether or not it's something you "must" own at $150, it's probably only getting more expensive from here on out.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:47 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Wow, I'm glad I got it when I did. If you want a collectors set I'd say get these. If you just want the episodes I'd get the singles.

Rock the Dragon:
Complete set in collectible box and book w/ all 3 movies edited (Only place to get the first tree of might dub)

DVD singles
Cheaper
Richer colors
poorer encoding
Also I believe the Rock the Dragon has a couple/few lines that are not on the original Singles.. such as the "I smell death in the air" line from Master Roshi.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 am

LordCrumb wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Wow, I'm glad I got it when I did. If you want a collectors set I'd say get these. If you just want the episodes I'd get the singles.

Rock the Dragon:

DVD singles
Cheaper
Richer colors
poorer encoding
Also I believe the Rock the Dragon has a couple/few lines that are not on the original Singles.. such as the "I smell death in the air" line from Master Roshi.
Were those lines in the original episode airings?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 am

Naruto6583 wrote:Were those lines in the original episode airings?
Indeed they were, and never used again.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 am

TheatreStyleKai wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:Were those lines in the original episode airings?
Indeed they were, and never used again.
Why because they referenced things that wouldn't be approved of or were they just tossed out for the heck of it?
PSN SonGoku325

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:43 am

Naruto6583 wrote:Why because they referenced things that wouldn't be approved of or were they just tossed out for the heck of it?
Presumably because of the censorship that was required to air these episodes in the after-school time block. I'm not sure how the original episode with Roshi mentioning "death in the air" slipped past them, but as far as I know it was the first and only time.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 am

TheatreStyleKai wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:Why because they referenced things that wouldn't be approved of or were they just tossed out for the heck of it?
Presumably because of the censorship that was required to air these episodes in the after-school time block. I'm not sure how the original episode with Roshi mentioning "death in the air" slipped past them, but as far as I know it was the first and only time.
Seems like bad quality control you figured they would've caught that during the editing
PSN SonGoku325

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 am

Presumably, it seems like more of a case of Saban getting cold feet and cracking down on FUNimation.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:17 pm

What kills me is that they all seemed to vanish. They're a few on ebay (with Dbox pricing) and none on Amazon! That seems really strange.

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:18 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:What kills me is that they all seemed to vanish. They're a few on ebay (with Dbox pricing) and none on Amazon! That seems really strange.
Speculators.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:What kills me is that they all seemed to vanish. They're a few on ebay (with Dbox pricing) and none on Amazon! That seems really strange.
Well, it was collector's edition. And for those Dragon Ball fans who were engrossed in the nostalgia of watching Dragon Ball Z for the first time back in the mid to late 90s, and there are many fans like that, this was a quintessential purchase for them. I'm not surprised they sold as quick as they did.

For the record, I managed to bag one of the last two brand new factory sealed copies on Amazon UK. For £130. :P

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Well, it was collector's edition. And for those Dragon Ball fans who were engrossed in the nostalgia of watching Dragon Ball Z for the first time back in the mid to late 90s, and there are many fans like that, this was a quintessential purchase for them. I'm not surprised they sold as quick as they did.

For the record, I managed to bag one of the last two brand new factory sealed copies on Amazon UK. For £130. :P
It's been out for a bit now with a more on ebay before than now. It just seems like a sudden vanish. I'm suprised because their are more Dragon Boxes than rock the dragon boxes

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:46 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

It's been out for a bit now with a more on ebay before than now. It just seems like a sudden vanish. I'm suprised because their are more Dragon Boxes than rock the dragon boxes
Well, Dragon Ball Box sets are a collectors item in their own regard, too. But let's be honest, is a release like the Rock The Dragon set ever gonna happen again?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Well, Dragon Ball Box sets are a collectors item in their own regard, too. But let's be honest, is a release like the Rock The Dragon set ever gonna happen again?[/quote]

Fair point. It sorta brings a tear to my eye :') That's why I'll never sell mine.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm

I guess the fact that it's sold out basically answers my question of "was this release a success or not?" Of course we'll never know how many Funimation produced in the first place but it's nice to know that every copy was sold at least.

I still think the timing of the release was very strange, the anniversary of this dub is this year but they decided to rush it out the door in 2013 with a half assed booklet and no extras. In a way it's kind of a slap in the face but I guess it was better than nothing. Too bad they won't/can't release the rest of the Ocean dub... or their dub of Kai.