Do we expect too much from Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateSSJG

Re: Do we expect too much from Super?

Post by UltimateSSJG » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:17 pm

10 years down the line we may just get a Dragon ball Super Kai; where all animations is redone and useless filler is cut out. I'm kidding but our expectations is hampering the enjoyment of Super. We have our potentially first credible arc so let it play out and enjoy the ride.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:03 pm

UltimateSSJG wrote: Our expectations is hampering the enjoyment of Super.

We have our potentially first credible arc.
A good amount of fans and even top Mangaka hold the franchise and Toriyama to a high slandered so of course we're going to have high expectations for it.

If we have to lower our expectations to enjoy something then that means it isn't very good or we wouldn't have to do that.

Wasn't the Champa arc supposed to be that ?
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:06 pm

sintzu wrote:
Geez sintzu, stop being such a buzz kill with all your logic and stuff ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:11 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Sorry, it won't happen again. :cry:

I want it to be great and I think it will be but at the same time I have a feeling they're going to mess it up somehow (they've already started with the character designs) and we'll be waiting for the next arc to be what saves Super which will be it's 5th arc.

There's so much hype and expectations for this arc that Super might not get a chance to prove itself if it messes it up.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Sorry, it won't happen again. :cry:

I want it to be great and I think it will be but at the same time I have a feeling they're going to mess it up somehow (they've already started with the character designs) and we'll be waiting for the next arc to be what saves Super which will be it's 5th arc.

There's so much hype and expectations for this arc that Super might not get a chance to prove itself if it messes it up.
The Super hype is much like Goku in episode 5 of Super: every next form (arc) is one the Goku (the fandom) think will be the one to defeat Beerus (hit a home run in terms of quality) only to fail quite miserably (that last one's pretty self-explanatory for this whole thing I'm going for).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:19 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The Super hype is much like Goku in episode 5 of Super: every next form (arc) is one the Goku (the fandom) think will be the one to defeat Beerus (hit a home run in terms of quality) only to fail quite miserably (that last one's pretty self-explanatory for this whole thing I'm going for).
If BoG is Super Saiyan, F is Super Saiyan 2, U6 is Super Saiyan 3.

Then is future Trunks Super Saiyan God? Will we finally get a decent match? ;)

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:25 pm

pacz360 wrote:Of course both series are terrible but super has a chance to a least change to somewhat good instead of forever being dogshit.
Up until now, it really hasn't. They at least tried to hold some plot continuity with GT. Super has just been all over the place, and nothing in it really continues off of anything Post-Buu saga. If Super was deemed non-canon or didn't exist tomorrow, the series continuity would literally be the same.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
If BoG is Super Saiyan, F is Super Saiyan 2, U6 is Super Saiyan 3.

Then is future Trunks Super Saiyan God? Will we finally get a decent match? ;)
Ssj1 & 2 were basically the same which also applies to the 1st 2 arcs both being retellings.

Ssj3 was a step up like the Champa arc being original but still didn't get the job done.

SsjG was the last chance Beerus was going to give Goku to prove himself like how fans are giving Super this (Maybe last) chance to prove itself.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Doctor, sintzu

Damn guys! Way to make something of that whole analogy lol.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:33 pm

UltimateSSJG wrote:10 years down the line we may just get a Dragon ball Super Kai; where all animations is redone and useless filler is cut out. I'm kidding but our expectations is hampering the enjoyment of Super. We have our potentially first credible arc so let it play out and enjoy the ride.
Champa arc was suppose to be super first credible Arc yet was average at best.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:34 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Up until now, it really hasn't. They at least tried to hold some plot continuity with GT.
GT also used its supporting characters a lot better than Super has so far.
ekrolo2 wrote:Doctor, sintzu

It was a great analogy and really describes Super and what the fans are going through. :mrgreen:
pacz360 wrote:Champa arc was suppose to be super first credible Arc yet was average at best.
Average arcs wouldn't be a problem if this wasn't from Toriyama.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Don't forget gt treated gohan much better than in super.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Up until now, it really hasn't. They at least tried to hold some plot continuity with GT.
ekrolo2 wrote:Doctor, sintzu

It was a great analogy and really describes Super and what the fans are going through. :mrgreen:
pacz360 wrote:Champa arc was suppose to be super first credible Arc yet was average at best.
Average arcs wouldn't be a problem if this wasn't from Toriyama.
Not mention how fans were hoping that piccolo and buu would do something instead it was the goku and vegeta show. one didn't particpate and the other got treated like shit by his teammates also

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
I'd go so far as to say GT made the best use of Piccolo's fusion with Kami. Before it was just there for a power boost and little else, in GT? It meant something with him dying to make sure the Black Star Balls could remain inert and not threaten the Earth anymore. Plus Goku would've been totally screwed had he not gone to Hell for him.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:46 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'd go so far as to say GT made the best use of Piccolo's fusion with Kami. Before it was just there for a power boost and little else, in GT? It meant something with him dying to make sure the Black Star Balls could remain inert and not threaten the Earth anymore. Plus Goku would've been totally screwed had he not gone to Hell for him.
Didn't think of that good point also nice sig :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:49 pm

pacz360 wrote:Don't forget gt treated gohan much better than in super.
Gohan, Goten, Uub & Trunks all got to fight the main villains and were overall very active.

Sure they didn't do much but at least they tried unlike in Super where they don't do anything but wait for Goku & Vegeta to get things done.

Piccolo was also handled a lot better like ekrolo2 said.

Vegeta wasn't a main character in GT so I'll give this to Super but as a side one he wasn't handled that bad.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Don't forget gt treated gohan much better than in super.
Gohan, Goten, Uub & Trunks all got to fight the main villains and were overall very active.

Sure they didn't do much but at least they tried unlike in Super where they don't do anything but wait for Goku & Vegeta to get things done.

Piccolo was also handled a lot better like ekrolo2 said.

Vegeta wasn't a main character in GT so I'll give this to Super but as a side one he wasn't handled that bad.
In all fairness, nearly every character under the sun took on Beerus, who for intents and puporoses, was the central antagonist in the first arc of Super. And Roshi, Tien, Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo easily decimated Freeza's soldiers in the very next arc, the Resurrection F arc. Hell, Gotenks even appeared in that arc to take on Tagoma. Gotenks never made an appearance in GT for some weird reason.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:32 pm

The Blackstar DBs were bullshit and Piccolo's death was an insult.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Saturnine wrote:The Blackstar DBs were bullshit and Piccolo's death was an insult.
Not like his death in super was any better at least gt it meant something.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Saturnine wrote:The Blackstar DBs were bullshit and Piccolo's death was an insult.
An insult because....? His death meant something, made use of a fusion with him and Kami that did nothing but give him a quickly outclassed power boost and later served a purpose to help Goku escape Hell. In Super, Piccolo's death means so little the most Goku says about it is. "Meh, we'll revive him with the Dragon Balls anyhow."

At least in GT felt lasting as he had to stay dead for the Black Star Dragon Balls to remain inert. And no, before you tell me "Well why didn't Piccolo ever mention them before?!" you can handwave it with they cause the fucking planet to blow up if you use them and require an absurd galaxy-spanning journey to return to from which, as we can see in GT, can lead to a whole other can of worms if they attract the attention of the wrong people