Do we expect too much from Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do we expect too much from Super?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The age thing is a slight disappointment for me but not a big problem. I liked that there was at least one high-profile anime/manga series that wasn't afraid to make its cast older. I always used it as an example for why you can make a protagonist who's age can go into the 30s, 40s, and even 50s and have it work. The ages are still there but I'd like it if they were more of a factor in Super to maybe push some characters into interesting directions. God knows anime/manga could use more battle-centric series with casts who's age ranges from 14-18.
You should probably use JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as a better example of that. I don't read the series (well, not after part 1 at least), but I know that every one or two arcs, the next generation takes over and the story focuses on them instead.
It's every part. Every part has a new generation take over, and the old one usually is attached somehow. Part 1 was Jonathon. Part 2 was Joseph. Part 3 was Jotaro. Part 4 was Josuke. Part 5 was Giorno. Part 6 was Jolyne. Part 7 was Johnny. Part 8 is new universe Josuke. Digimon also does the same thing where every new season has a new generation. Power Rangers/Super Sentai also do this as well as most Tokusentai I think.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah, Digimon does that too but they kinda backtracked a bit now with Tri, going back to the old generation.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yeah, Digimon does that too but they kinda backtracked a bit now with Tri, going back to the old generation.
Yes but it's been so long that I don't see why not. The way they did it was kinda shaky, but it's still nice to go back after their generation was over for some time. I don't mind it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Digimon probably needed a boost of nostalgia to get people interested too. I don't know how the franchise has done after Tamers but I seem to recall it falling on somewhat hard times.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I've completely lost track of the timeline in this series. How many months/years after the Buu saga are we now?
About five years. We're either in Age 779 or Age 780. The wish to Shenron Bulma made in the beginning of the inter-universal tournament arc implies Age 780, but Pan's pacifier business in Episode 46 and the lack of Bulla imply Age 779. Plus, that wish wasn't made in the manga. At this point, Age 779 causes the least inconsistencies, but Age 780 makes sense in relation to the show itself. It's kinda weird.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:48 pm

We're very likely to get confirmation of the current age in Future Trunks anyway, with all the time travel stuff. Just as it happened in Android/Cell sagas

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Y'all are lucky I wasn't online to see all that name-calling and flaming as it happened. Please don't let that happen again.
Doctor. wrote:It's not basic criticism. Basic criticism is saying "Super has ignored a large amount of small details, such as character ages, which shows the lack of effort and attention put into the series". That's not what he said, regardless of how hard you're trying to make it seem like it is. What he said is "Super has fucked up something as basic as character ages and, as such, I can't expect the series to do anything else properly". They're two different arguments.
...And what I think and meant by my comment is a mix of all these things. The horde of "small" problems like screwed-up character ages that keep piling up are themselves reasons why I consider Super so crappy, and they reflect the larger lack of care and effort put into Super as a whole, AND they're why I no longer expect anything good from Super. It's like Toei just keeps adding more links to a big chain of carelessness and ineptitude.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:18 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I've completely lost track of the timeline in this series. How many months/years after the Buu saga are we now?
I'm pretty sure the BOG saga happens four years after Buu. While ROF and Champa saga happen a year aftwards, so five years after Buu and 5 years before the end of DBZ. Toriyama mention the Future Trunks saga happens sometime after the Tournament. So it could happen one year later.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:25 pm

pacz360 wrote:Future trunks arc has the potential to be one of the best arcs of the franchises.

if it doesn't and drops the ball you better believe the super Vs gt debate on whether or not it was a worthy sequel/which was worse etc to escalate even further than it is.
I personally think it'll be great but I'm going to keep my expectations a bit low cause the last 3 arcs also had the potential to be great but they weren't so don't be surprised if they drop the ball with this one as well.

The longer Super goes without a standout arc the more fans you'll see siding with GT against it and thanks to Super I've come to appreciate it for what it is and I'm always seeing more people say that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Future trunks arc has the potential to be one of the best arcs of the franchises.

if it doesn't and drops the ball you better believe the super Vs gt debate on whether or not it was a worthy sequel/which was worse etc to escalate even further than it is.
I personally think it'll be great but I'm going to keep my expectations a bit low cause the last 3 arcs also had the potential to be great but they weren't so don't be surprised if they drop the ball with this one as well.

The longer Super goes without a standout arc the more fans you'll see siding with GT against it and thanks to Super I've come to appreciate it for what it is and I'm always seeing more people say that.
I won't be suprised if it does suck cause my expectations are already low but yeah super seriously in need of of a standout arc even its only good arc is practically average at best. Gt was something i hated but overtime i grew to apperciate it and like some stuff for instance baby vegeta and nova shenron also how many people been lately saying that outside this forum.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:55 pm

pacz360 wrote:Super seriously in need of of a standout arc even its only good arc is practically average at best.
Average at best is what we've been getting.

We're nearly 50 episodes in so average isn't good enough anymore, it needs something great, something that'll be able to stand next to the best of what the original had to offer.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:56 pm

I really have grown to appreciate GT (sub, anyways) a lot more thanks to Super. It's still crap, but man... it actually delivers some of what I expect from Dragon Ball.

For example, this small scene right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GrjdTwyJY

Goku's demeanor, his stance, the music, the animation. A scene that actually takes itself seriously and can be taken seriously. *gasp*
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Goku's demeanor, his stance, the music, the animation. A scene that actually takes itself seriously and can be taken seriously. *gasp*
Everything I love about Goku was in that scene.

Yeah he's a fun character but when he gets serious he's the most bad ass character of the group which is something Super completely left behind in favor of a childish retard.

GT messed up in a lot of ways but Goku as an adult wasn't one of them.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Goku's demeanor, his stance, the music, the animation. A scene that actually takes itself seriously and can be taken seriously. *gasp*
Everything I love about Goku was in that scene.

Yeah he's a fun character but when he gets serious he's the most bad ass character of the group which is something Super completely left behind in favor of a childish retard.

GT messed up in a lot of ways but Goku as an adult wasn't one of them.
Exactly gt goku was still goku but still kept his maturity while super goku is nothing but childish retard that seem to regress back to part 1 db as a kid.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:26 pm

I'd say GT did a good job of having Goku grow the hell up. The Goku of Z would never feel bad about failing to protect the planet against Baby like GT Goku does. Some might use this as an example of Goku being OOC but as a nearly 50-year-old man, I think Goku realizing some things isn't too far fetched. Hell, I'd like for current Goku to do such a growing up but I don't think it'll happen.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:32 pm

pacz360 wrote:Super goku is nothing but childish retard that seem to regress back to part 1 db as a kid.
Kid Goku never acted like that.

Look how he reacted to Krillin's death and look how Super's Goku reacted to Piccolo's death.

Kid Goku wanted revenge at any cost while Super's Goku acted like it was nothing and went as far as to say that they'll just bring him back.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:46 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
For example, this small scene right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GrjdTwyJY

Goku's demeanor, his stance, the music, the animation. A scene that actually takes itself seriously and can be taken seriously. *gasp*
Everything, but the music in that scene is top quality.
The music is just horrible and sounds old and boring to me.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:52 pm

What?!
The music is amazing.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm

sintzu wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Super goku is nothing but childish retard that seem to regress back to part 1 db as a kid.
Kid Goku never acted like that.

Look how he reacted to Krillin's death and look how Super's Goku reacted to Piccolo's death.

Kid Goku wanted revenge at any cost while Super's Goku acted like it was nothing and went as far as to say that they'll just bring him back.
Also not to mention willing to let freeza go again despite what he did when he was on earth in rof.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:05 pm

pacz360 wrote:Also not to mention willing to let freeza go again despite what he did when he was on earth in rof.
And what he did when he let him go after hsi battle on Namek and after what he did on Namek and to the Saiyans.

Another thing I liked about that clip was Goku's tone and the way he was talking, you could tell he had enough.