Is this the reason why Broly hates Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Is this the reason why Broly hates Goku?

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 am

There has been an ongoing debate as to why Broly might hate Goku. Most fans say it doesn't make any sense at all and it would make more sense for him to hate Vegeta (like Paragus does). Broly hating Goku because of his crying has always been something fans have facepalmed at, but then I got to thinking. Maybe Broly hates Goku because wait for it: GOKU'S CRYING TRAUMATIZED HIM. Now, stay with me. I know this is theory is old news, but maybe Goku's crying gave Broly some form of PTSD because it occurred RIGHT before he was stabbed. Maybe Broly links Goku's crying to getting stabbed and because he's mentally unstable, sees Goku as the one to blame and get retaliation on (especially since the ones who killed him are no longer alive and Goku is probably the only survivor who was in that incubator room?).

This theory is most likely head canon and nothing intended by Toei, but I felt more contempt with it than what I had previously thought. But there's more. I watched the Broly movie again and found something that fascinated me. Look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2HNI-Y21Fs#t=1m03s AND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usm0Fl6OUf0#t=2m41s Is it just me or does it look like Broly was stabbed at the same area where Goku punched him? And notice how in the second clip, Broly seems physically paralyzed and mentally affected by Goku's punch. This causes him to remember the day when he was stabbed and left to die. To me, it kind of comes off as THIS being the reason he hates Goku. Because Goku is the physical embodiment of his trauma and by killing Goku, he might finally be able to get rid of it once and for all. Another thing is that maybe this kind of justifies (from a poetic point of view only) why Goku's punch defeated Broly, because it calls back to his possible trauma.

Perhaps Toei actually intended this when crafting Broly's backstory? Or I'm just looking too much into the villain many fans hate the most? Nonetheless, it's still an interesting theory when you think about it. Maybe it will get a few people to hate Broly a little less? Also, I'm ready for comments telling me I'm late to uncovering this theory and I understand.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is this the reason why Broly hates Goku?

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 am

Like you said that theory is old and doesn't make sense, imo.

In my opinion, it was clear from the way they told the story that Broly was moved by and was basically a slave of his primal saiyan instincts, especially while in full LSSJ mode.

That's why he reacts to Goku that way. Because his instincts told him that Goku was going to be a threat so he needed to crush him. And they were right.

Furthermore, the movie further expands this point of Goku managing to be a threat even though he lacked power by symbolizing that notion in the scene where Goku makes Broly cry as a baby even though even then Broly was much more powerful.

That's why the movie goes out of its way to repeat that scene while Goku is defeating Broly, to further drive that point across.

In other words, that theory missunderstands the intention behind the Goku crying scene and instead of understanding that the scene is there to symbolize, to be a methaphor, for the Goku-Broly relationship, it illogically argues that Goku's crying would somehow traumatize Broly.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the stabbing.
Broly was crying, because of Goku's will overpowering him despite the obvious gap in battle power. The doctors point this out too. Broly basically suffers from inferiority complex in regards to Goku and that's why he wants to kill him so much to prove that he is the superior of the two. Unfortunately for him Goku once again finds a way to defeat him, despite the yet again obvious gap in power thanks to a little help from his friends.

Basically what Rereboy posted. I agree with that, as always.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 am

dbgtFO wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with the stabbing.
Broly was crying, because of Goku's will overpowering him despite the obvious gap in battle power. The doctors point this out too. Broly basically suffers from inferiority complex in regards to Goku and that's why he wants to kill him so much to prove that he is the superior of the two. Unfortunately for him Goku once again finds a way to defeat him, despite the yet again obvious gap in power thanks to a little help from his friends.

Basically what Rereboy posted. I agree with that, as always.
I figured the theory wouldn't make sense and in hindsight, what you guys are saying probably makes more sense. However, since nothing has been confirmed to my knowledge, I'll still think of my theory as a possible alternate motivation I suppose.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:48 am

Broly's a physcho so I always looked at it from his point of view. Goku's crying probably annoyed the hell out of him and if he cried for hours that'd get annoying real fast. He was stabbed and In my opinion he linked Goku's crying (which already had him tore all to hell) to him feeling the pain of being stabbed on the same day. It's one bad day if you ask me. That day will follow him for the rest of his life and every time he looks back on it he gets angered which seems to be what triggers something in him that drives him insane. (Sort of like the Hulk with his anger problem) I don't think the LSSJ form itself drives him insane, as he is obviously a nut job in his regular SSJ form. I think he has a "LSSJ" gene/trait sort of speak that is triggered by anger when he thinks back on that day and causes him to revert to his Saiyan Primal Instincts which turns him into a seek and destroy type of thing. In other words that gene is triggered by his anger when he thinks of that day, it drives him insane, and he wants to kill what made him mad which where the events that happened on that day. (I think the LSSJ form itself is just another side effect of the gene that he can only reach when it is activated and he is extremely mad) I think he heard Goku's name and he only remembered Goku's name because of the crying before he was stabbed. It's sort of like a plane crashes and right after your friend is shot right next to you on the same day. When someone mentions one of those you remember both. Broly didn't know the names of the ones who stabbed him, and they where long gone anyways. He probably wanted to erase that day from his life by destroying everyone that was involved in it. That ended up being Goku since he was the only person left from that day. I don't think it was the crying in general that was the sole purpose of him wanting to kill Goku, it was just that hearing Goku's name made him remember the crying before he got stabbed on that day. (Which he wants to forget and erase and he thinks he can do that by killing Goku, the last one left from that day) I'm also pretty sure the same place Goku punched him is the same place he was stabbed (weak point). It all comes down to he wants to make Goku and everyone involved "feel his pain" sort of speak that he felt. This was all just my big opinion though. Also if he didn't have that LSSJ gene, he'd probably still want revenge on everyone involved that day, he'd just be err... less crazy?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 am

Broly was all brawn, and no brain. He's a lunatic that just likes to destroy, and he killed his own father for no good reason at all.

The reasons behind a brainless monster's actions can't fully be justified. He's a sociopath.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:37 pm

omaro34 wrote: He's a sociopath.
Boom! Right on the $. Btw where is that quote from in your signature area? About 'Kami is the Morgan Freeman of DBZ'.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:45 am

When I watched the Japanese version, it was made clear that Goku brought out or reawakened Broly's Saiyajin instincts.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
omaro34 wrote: He's a sociopath.
Boom! Right on the $. Btw where is that quote from in your signature area? About 'Kami is the Morgan Freeman of DBZ'.
I made that quote myself when I thought of memes to post on my Piccolo page on Facebook. The link for my page is below. Freeman plays "God" in the film 'Bruce Almighty". Kami is a title for "God". Freeman also always plays the old wise man in many movies.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl