Piccolo's Survival Rate

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Piccolo's Survival Rate

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Yamcha and Krillin cop a lot of jokes at their expense about them dying.

Sure, Yamcha died twice and Krillin died four times, but here's a fact for you:

Piccolo dies when saving Gohan from Nappa in Z. He dies when Earth explodes because of the Black Star Dragon Balls in GT. He dies saving Gohan again from a Death Beam in Super.

But then you take into account that Piccolo is a "reincarnation" of Piccolo Daimao, after he died fighting Goku in Dragon Ball.

So in a way, Piccolo is the only character to die in every Dragon Ball series, which is both impressive and sad at the same time.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Piccolo's Survival Rate

Post by Vijay » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:57 pm

You forgot to include Piccolo being killed by Kid Buu when the latter blew-up Earth (along with Gohan, Goten & Trunks ofc)

Count me as one of those rare, insignifant Piccolo hater

From his green-algae color, weird turban design, obnoxious attitude (Toshio Furukawa gave extra-edge to his raw, alien-like tone) & unremarkable feats (Saiyan-Frieza Arc) makes him as one of the most forgettable, unlikable character in DBZ

Visited many forums. Was suprised at the kind of reception he got. Some members in DBZF (3-4 years back) lapped Piccolo & Vegeta (both are voiced by Sabat), going to great extents in heaping praises for Piccolo's smartness, intelligence & lines given by Funi

I was shell-shocked & wondered if I watched a different show all along.

But Piccolo-san grow on me after 2-3 years. His intricate relationship with Gohan, funny moments with Goku (driving episode), de facto leader role in Cell Saga as Super Namekian & his evolved role as tutor to Next-Gen fighters in Buu Arc was honestly interesting. Not even Goku (main protagonist of the show) received such numerous growth, but a secondary character as Piccolo-san did.

Now, he ranks on par with Goku & Vegeta as my top character characters in DBZ. Which is a giant leap frm bein a hater-to-neutral-to-fan of a character :D

My 2 cents

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Silver Sinspawn wrote:So in a way, Piccolo is the only character to die in every Dragon Ball series, which is both impressive and sad at the same time.
Wow. I never thought about that until you brought it up. That really is sad. Ironically, death in Dragon Ball really has no consequence since they have three sets Macguffins that can bail them out anytime.

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Silver Sinspawn wrote:So in a way, Piccolo is the only character to die in every Dragon Ball series, which is both impressive and sad at the same time.
Wow. I never thought about that until you brought it up. That really is sad. Ironically, death in Dragon Ball really has no consequence since they have three sets Macguffins that can bail them out anytime.
Well 4 if you count GT. But yeah its pretty ridiculous.
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

generalred3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by generalred3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Krillin died in every Dragonball series also...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:36 pm

generalred3 wrote:Krillin died in every Dragonball series also...
Did he die in Super?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:37 pm

generalred3 wrote:Krillin died in every Dragonball series also...
He didn't die in Super yet.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

generalred3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by generalred3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Ahhhhh, I stand corrected. Funny enough I actually completely forgot Super and only thought of Dragonball, Z, and GT. My mistake!

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Krillin died once in DB, and twice in Z. Apparently he also died once in GT even though i hardly remember it if at all really. And he hasnt died yet in Super.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 pm

What do you guys mean "yet"? 5th time would be fucking ridiculous and absoulety pointless :thumbdown:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Krillin died once in DB, and twice in Z. Apparently he also died once in GT even though i hardly remember it if at all really. And he hasnt died yet in Super.
GT's death was when 17 killed him as Krillin interupted his hypnosis over 18

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:What do you guys mean "yet"? 5th time would be fucking ridiculous and absoulety pointless :thumbdown:
Well as far as my train of thought was going I wasnt particularly thinking of Krillin being singled out for a 5th death as much as the possibility of him dying in some cataclysmic event with most everyone else. Kinda like with Golden Freeza. Except he be unfortunate enough to be not covered by Whis or something. Super certainly hasnt held back on having large scale destruction happening regularly. Also Piccolo died semi pointlessly already too. I mean it got Gohan to want to train but I think he could have wanted to do so simply to be able to protect his family anyway. I dont think having Piccolo die was absolutely necessary but whatever i guess.