Timeline for Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Timeline for Super?

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
ellis-bas wrote: Right - I knew it must have been somewhere.
While I understand the logic of your statement, part of me figures that, having "revised" both movies for the series, any and all information from said films has been reneged and anything that is common to both has, in fact, just been assimilated into a new Super timeline.
As a matter of fact the movies themselves don't state when they are supposed to take place. Only in BoG we know it's after they met Tarble, which was back in the Yo Son Goku special, which specifically stated it took place 2 years after Majin Buu's defeat.
Guidebooks and official websites filled in the blanks.
Pan is the key.
Well obviously, but that wasn't the point.

immakillya

Post by immakillya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:There's no official timeline for Super and there's nothing about when the arcs or films take place beyond the years.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This has been my rough timeline for Super's new version of events, based on the film's general placements and supplemental info.
**The manga adaptation doesn't include the Shenlong summoning to find the Super Dragon Ball, so it could still be in AGE 779 the next day after Golden Freeza's defeat without a problem.
The 5 year line is pretty much null for the anime at this point (it can still possibly work for the Super manga adaptation though). Not that it really matters. The line isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. We should be worrying more about whether they'll remember Bra in time to have her born in the little time left for AGE 780. If she isn't already conceived between Episodes 27 and 28, that's a bigger hiccup (unless they don't want to follow the bigger supplemental material elements...though they still did with Pan's birth).

Shenlong has been summoned early three times, two of which were special circumstances.
--The first was at the very beginning of the series, when Toriyama's math only added up to 8 months passing between the Pilaf and Red Ribbon Arcs instead of a year.
--The second was after Piccolo Daimao's defeat, when Kami made a special exception to restore Shenlong after Daimao killed him and allow him to grant a wish.
--The third was during the Freeza Arc, when Kami and Piccolo were revived from death. It either allowed Shenlong to recharge early for some reason (or Kami reenergized him again).
What five year line? i dont remember any line from the movies or anime that said anything about 5 years...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:08 pm

immakillya wrote:What five year line? i dont remember any line from the movies or anime that said anything about 5 years...
You didn't need to quote the whole post for that...

Anyway, at the end of the series (manga/Z anime) when Vegeta and Bluma go visit Goku and Goten as they train for the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai, she mentions not having see Goku for 5 years. Everyone else got together for whatever the event was originally supposed to be, but Goku was too busy training.

It's a pretty throwaway line of very little significance. Even as much as I like timelines and continuity, it doesn't bug me, but it's apparently a big deal for some.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I still wouldn't worry just yet. The way they've been teasing at Bulma and Vegeta lately makes me think Bra will be born pretty soon. And about the five yer line, they've showed how Goku and Vegeta were spending a lot of time on Beerus' planet training, so it's possible that once this Champa arc is over, they'll go back to training for a long time, and won't see each other. Either way it was still a throwaway line, really wouldn't matter if they retcon'd it or not.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Yeah like why do people act like that line is extremely important or something? Or it can't be removed or retcon? people are acting like that line was important as the ssj transformations or something.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Ok I watched again episode 3 with the most reliable fan subs I know. Perhaps Herms can confirm- I can't seem to find episode 3 fact checker anymore – apparently alongside episode summaries everything related was moved to dedicated pages but without the fact checker notes. Anyhow this is what the subtitles say:
Beerus: Super Saiyan God…since he’s called God, I suppose he must be a deity. Man, what a bother…
Whis: But Beerus-sama…There does not exist anyone called “Super Saiyan God” or anything along those lines.
Beerus: The Saiyans might know something. Hmm? But didn't Freeza destroy Planet Vegeta, where the Saiyans were?
Whis: Yes, it was you who asked him to do that while you were sleeping, wasn’t it?
Beerus: Well, they pissed me off.
Now hang on for a second. Beerus slumber was 39 years long. And the destruction of planet Vegeta took place during his sleep. So the earliest the destruction of Planet Vegeta can be placed is immediately after Beerus went to sleep. If BoGs indeed takes place in Age778 as this BoG's movie related website says it means that the earliest possible destruction for Planet Vegeta is Age 739. But we know this can't be true as according to the anime lore (and that very same website) this happened in Age 737. So if you add 39 years to 737 it means that the latest BoGs can take place is in Age 776.

Of course if you take Dragonball Minus into the equation Goku was 3 years old when he was sent to Earth and given Goku was born in Age 737 the Destruction of Planet Vegeta could have happened in Age 740 i.e. a year after Beerus went to sleep if you assume that Age 778 is when indeed BoGs takes place.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:08 am

It seems very illogical to me that Super takes place around 5 years after Boo.I mean why would it take around 5 years for the Grand Prize of defeating Boo ? Or Vegeta granting Trunks's wish of them going to the amusement part takes around 5 years ? Timeline is quite messy.But i'm starting to believe the 6 months thing.That way,it also makes sense why Maron,Goten and Trunks are still kids.Though it will also contradict many things especially in EOZ.' :problem: :?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 am

It can't be 6 months because of Pan's birth. There's no reason for Super not to be set in the same time frame as movies - 4/5 years after Boo.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Had to bump this thread to try make some more sense of the timeline and time traveling.
So, F. Trunks travels back in time 17 years right?
Meaning he came from Age 797? (Assuming Super is taking place in Age 780 currently.)
Then, for F. Trunks, its only been 9 years since he killed F. Cell (Age 788), so the folks in the Super timeline have experienced more passage of time (13 years, give or take) than him, right?

It beckons the question of why he chose that specific year (again assuming it is 780) to travel to. In the future timeline, Age 780 also happens to be the year F. Gohan was killed. I could be reading way to deep into it but it would make an interesting parallel between the timelines if Gohan is also killed in the Super timeline.

On an unrelated side note, it would be cool to see if Tarble came to Earth in the future timeline and found his nephew instead of Vegeta.
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Yeah, I had already thought about Tarble appearing in Future Trunks' timeline, that would be awesome and a relief for Trunks to know that he has a relative alive out there.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Power Metal wrote:Had to bump this thread to try make some more sense of the timeline and time traveling.
So, F. Trunks travels back in time 17 years right?
Meaning he came from Age 797? (Assuming Super is taking place in Age 780 currently.)
Then, for F. Trunks, its only been 9 years since he killed F. Cell (Age 788), so the folks in the Super timeline have experienced more passage of time (13 years, give or take) than him, right?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes and no. It has indeed been 9 years since Trunks killed Cell, but the folks in the Super timeline have not experienced more passage of time, as you left out the 3 years(narrator specifically states over 3 years) between Trunks' final return to his timeline, where he killed off #17 and #18 and his fight with Cell.
So round some years up or down and you should end on pretty much the same passage of time(12 or 13 years).

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:20 pm

dbgtFO wrote:3. Yes and no. It has indeed been 9 years since Trunks killed Cell, but the folks in the Super timeline have not experienced more passage of time, as you left out the 3 years(narrator specifically states over 3 years) between Trunks' final return to his timeline, where he killed off #17 and #18 and his fight with Cell.
So round some years up or down and you should end on pretty much the same passage of time(12 or 13 years).
Damn, you're right, I did forget that.
Now I'm just wondering why he waited for Cell to be released from his incubator instead of just killing him along with the rest of Gero's lab haha.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Power Metal wrote:Now I'm just wondering why he waited for Cell to be released from his incubator instead of just killing him along with the rest of Gero's lab haha.
Rule of cool, I guess. Maybe Cell is supposed to complete his transformation into his first form outside the lab or something, so he had already broken out a year before Trunks arrived back to his timeline.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:40 pm

ehh, I'll go with the "rule of cool" on this one :lol:
Grimlock wrote:Yeah, I had already thought about Tarble appearing in Future Trunks' timeline, that would be awesome and a relief for Trunks to know that he has a relative alive out there.
yeah, I'd like to see that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Well Trunks went back 17 years into the past in Goku's timeline. So I'm pretty sure Super is now set in Age: 780 meaning that we have four years left until Goku meets Uub.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Future Trunks' own timeline is kind of crazy in Super. Babidi is supposed to arrive on Earth in age 774. Trunks, being born in age 766 should be 8 years old.

However, Super implies that Babidi arrived after the defeat of Cell of Future Trunks' timeline in age 785. So why did Babidi appear at a different time in Trunks' timeline?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 pm

LuckyCat wrote: So why did Babidi appear at a different time in Trunks' timeline?
Timelines are different now due to time travel. I think Babidi show up earlier in Goku's timeline due to the Cell games may have help Babidi and Dabra come to Earth looking for ki to help restore Buu. In Trunks timeline, #17 and #18 mainly went around killing people and they probably have no idea about them. Not to mention, Dabra originally came to Earth in Age 474 and could not find any major ki to help restore Buu (The only powerful fighters on Earth at the time would be Kami, Crane Hermit, Korin and Master Roshi).
She/Her

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote: So why did Babidi appear at a different time in Trunks' timeline?
Timelines are different now due to time travel. I think Babidi show up earlier in Goku's timeline due to the Cell games may have help Babidi and Dabra come to Earth looking for ki to help restore Buu. In Trunks timeline, #17 and #18 mainly went around killing people and they probably have no idea about them. Not to mention, Dabra originally came to Earth in Age 474 and could not find any major ki to help restore Buu (The only powerful fighters on Earth at the time would be Kami, Crane Hermit, Korin and Master Roshi).
Yeah all the time travel screwed things up. The lack of power in future trunks' timeline on Earth post Cell defeat may be why? Only Trunks with a noteworthy power, be it strong and all.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:59 pm

They probably did came to Earth in the past and decided to go back when they sense Trunks ki. They probably believe it was enough to bring back Buu. Not to mention that time travel cause a butterfly effect to happen and that Babidi was most likely never plan to travel to Earth until years later.
She/Her