Could Dragon Ball SD become an anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Could Dragon Ball SD become an anime?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:47 pm

After checking Kanzenshuu and finding out Dragon Ball SD has a new volume coming out in Japan, it got me thinking about something I wondered about when SD was first announced. I know it's kind of a gag manga retelling of the Dragon Ball mythos, but could it work as an anime? Naruto already took this route with Naruto SD: Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals. Also, I've always dreamed of an eventual reanimated original Dragon Ball series or at the very least, redubbed (Looking back, I really don't like Tiffany Volmer's Bulma because it doesn't fit a teen like Monica Rial does (and comes off as annoying) and I feel Goku would be better off voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard as a kid). Curse of the Blood Rubies made me want more Rial Bulma and Colleen Goku.

Since I'm not sure if Toei would ever bring me a sort of "original/first Dragon Ball series" Kai, a Dragon Ball SD series anime adaptation might be the next best thing. It'd also be funny just to see the Z bits added in such as: Kid Goku meeting Kid Radtiz and Kid Vegeta during his traning and Kid Krillin meeting Kid 18. With the Z elements included, it would also work as a way to get fans of DB and DBZ into the SD series. DB fans would see it as a cute retelling and DBZ fans would see it as a series with kid versions of all their favorite characters. Thoughts?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Could Dragon Ball SD become an anime?

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes, it could easily work as something you could see on Japan's equivalent of Disney Junior(if they have channels like that) with a light hearted and more kid-friendly take on DB akin to how SD is published in Saikyo Jump, the magazine for kids younger than the shonen demographic.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I don't see why it couldn't happen. There have been other popular shonen that have gotten their SD spin-off series get an official TV anime adaption. Naruto and Attack On Titan, for example.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 pm

It could work. I feel like it will be like the Teen Titans Go of the series where they make a show market to very little kids. One of the reasons why Teen Titans Go is hated because they made the show for younger kids in mind. Like 4-7 years old.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm

That would suck so hard. The manga is pointless already. I don't see what's the appeal of original manga being remixed in chibified form with the same story.
At least from what I remember, the Naruto spin-off was actually a new material.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:20 am

If it was going to happen it would have already. At this rate I think we'll be doing without, unless Fuji TV opens up a new slot out of nowhere.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am

I was thinking a series of web shorts, but that's just me.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:58 am

There is absolutely no need for that anime adaptation and most likely will never happen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Meh, wouldn't be interested in it personally.

If there's one thing the original Dragon Ball series deserves its a Blu-Ray release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:29 pm

I think it would work very well but it's just another retelling right? I'm sure a lot of people would watch it, but since I've recently completed Kai I don't think I'll be watching another take on Z for a while anyways.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 am

Xeztin wrote:I think it would work very well but it's just another retelling right? I'm sure a lot of people would watch it, but since I've recently completed Kai I don't think I'll be watching another take on Z for a while anyways.
SD covers a lot of material that Kai didn't. Namely the first half of the series ...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 am

Why make it an anime? It would be pointless, if anything, Dragon Ball Kai should completely get remastered with new animation. The dubbing is already there, they would just have to re-make the episodes frame by frame but with updated graphics. That would be a huge success worldwide.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 am

It could definitely work, but I really don't see it happening. Super's probably going to be running for quite a while, and I don't see Toei investing in another Dragon Ball anime until long after it ends. I could certainly be wrong, though.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:17 pm

emperior wrote:Why make it an anime? It would be pointless, if anything, Dragon Ball Kai should completely get remastered with new animation. The dubbing is already there, they would just have to re-make the episodes frame by frame but with updated graphics. That would be a huge success worldwide.
I think if anything Kai has taught TOEI retreading over classic content is not a good idea. Give them 10 years or so and they might reboot the series with modern animation, but as of now I think Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Heroes and Super have shown new content sells the merchandise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Xeztin wrote:I think it would work very well but it's just another retelling right? I'm sure a lot of people would watch it, but since I've recently completed Kai I don't think I'll be watching another take on Z for a while anyways.
SD covers a lot of material that Kai didn't. Namely the first half of the series ...
I'm not sure how it is in Japan but a large chunk of the US casual fan-base doesn't even know about the first half of the series. I'm not sure how it'd do ratings wise and isn't the designs Chibi'ish? I'm not speaking for everyone but I think that'd be a turn off for a lot of fans of Z action like when Teen Titans went that direction. A lot of the original fans of the original series was disappointed that it was a comedy show. If it did happen, I wouldn't be against it but i don't ever want it to be the main series after Super ends. If possible it'd be cool to air alongside Super or something. I believe Super will run for a very long time and even after its ending we'll probably get another series with new material or at least a spin-off with a new cast. DB is biggest milking cow in the anime industry worldwide and I don't think they'll let it slip through their fingers again but I hope we won't get any more retellings for a while. I'd rather have new material even if its not by Toriyama like those 12 DBZ movies as I agree that new material sells better than retellings because it's something we've never seen. Plus excitement sells :lol: