Worst point in the series ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Worst point in the series ?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Now this isn't a worst saga list just the lowest of the lows for Dragon Ball. For me it's the islands in the Cell saga, it was boring and full of dumb decisions, and a lot of stuff happens so you can't just skip it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

coola
I Live Here

Re: Worst point in the series ?

Post by coola » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:16 pm

In anime. any filler, where character act OOC, or have their annoying traits multiplied.
In manga: Buu Saga, mostly because of art, who for me, got much worse.
Last edited by coola on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I guess for me it would be the "pirate cave" portion of the Red Ribbon Army arc. I generally like that arc, but that part just felt like such a slog (at least in my memories of the anime - should probably re-watch it/read the manga version).
Last edited by Theophrastus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Everything from Cell absorbing #17 to the beginning of the Cell Games. Just stupid decision, after stupid decision, after stupid decision. It's just so irritating to see the heroes and villains acting so dumb for the sake of keeping the plot going. Because who can you root for in that situation?
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Android and Cell Arc, from Cell absorbing 17 to begining of Cell Games.
Majin Bu Arc, the tournament, the only good portion from that part of the story is Videl getting her ass kicked.

There're no lows in the pre-Zee era.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 pm

I know it's a fan-favorite thing, but for me it would be the stretch of episodes where Gohan fights with Cell. Dumb, boring, reptitive, no actual plot etc
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 pm

I've spoken about this before, but it's without a doubt a portion of those islands in the Cell arc. Here's what I wrote the last time this was brought up:
In particular, Trunks and Vegeta's stand-off with Cell. It reminds me of the Saiyan arc, where we have side characters fighting against the main antagonists as we anxiously await the arrival of our hero. It's a concept that I don't mind, but I never felt the fight was interesting enough to really warrant its length. You have some great moments, but I always felt it was the point in the series where it began to verge on parody. Vegeta fights Cell, Cell transforms, Vegeta fights Cell again, performs an incredible Final Flash, Cell doesn't die, Vegeta loses, Trunks fights, struggles, puffs himself up to the point of absurdity, and then... loses. This whole segment lasts an entire volume! It's insanely drawn out, and I really hate reading through it over and over.
It's even worse in the anime. Episode upon episode upon episode of dragged out, mindnumblingly dull fight scenes. It's one of those sections that I'm surprised isn't used more often to discredit Dragon Ball as a series. Far too often people bring up the five minutes on Namek, but man, at least that part was entertaining! This is the worst of the worst. I cannot think of anything that tops it (at least excluding filler... that's a whole different beast).
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Babidi's Spaceship is pure bullshit.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Gotta go with SSJ Goku vs 100% Frieza (5 min explosion) part

Anime destroyed whatever iconic, epic moments it created with ugly art, outdated animation (Frieza at times looked like BullXDuck hybrid with his disporpotionate Super Buff design, thx to Uchiyama & Ebisawa).

Plot, fight, drama. Nothin worked as good as pre-SSJ.

Also, some parts of Majin Boo Arc. Like the "empty" episodes/chapters where Fat Boo keeps turning people into candy so many freakin times, its cringe-worthy. Also, the infamous worm episode inside Super Boo's body. While it was dark & gave an adventurous feel, the Worm part was completely....ugh!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:49 pm

RRA arc for DB. Ginyu force mini-arc, 95% of the Android saga and both incarnations of Resurrection F.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:45 pm

The section I've been most bored with was the whole General Blue pirate cave and Super Vegeta stuff. Muscle tower is also kind of a drag in the anime. I guess you can include some dumb filler in there like the Garlic Jr. Arc. Super's "F" arc was also pretty annoying from the time Freeza arrived until his death.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

NintendoFan28

Post by NintendoFan28 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:34 am

-The whole Android Arc for me. The only thing I liked about this arc was, SSJ Goku vs Android 19.

-The moment Imperfect Cell Absorbed Android 17, all the way to the start of the Cell Games, then when Gohan fought Cell. The only thing I enjoyed about the entirety of the Cell Arc was the Imperfect Cell Arc, and Imperfect Cell himself, Goku vs Cell, Gohan's transformation, Cell's death, and Trunks freeing the future of both Future Androids and Imperfect Cell.

-The moment when, Gotenks first fought Super Boo, all the way to when Vegetto defused inside of Boo. I felt like the majority of the Fusion Arc, hurt the quality of the Boo Arc, and brought it down.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:37 am

I am going on this based on the anime, since I haven't read the manga yet.

In Dragon Ball, the Pirate Cave and the Wedding Dress portions are a chore to get trough. Especially the Wedding Dress, as it happens between a great arc and nothing, as the series ends there, leading it to fall flat on it's face.
In Dragon Ball Z, the Fake Namek filler is horrible. If there is a low point in every series, that is the one. However, very hard portions to sit trough are almost all the Cell Arc between the activation of #17 and #18 and the Cell Games (though there are cool moments in it, like everything with Imperfect Cell) and everything in the Buu saga after Vegetto defuses. I love the Kid Buu fight in itself, but when you are watching it from episode to episode it's really unexciting to watch.
In Dragon Ball GT, everything before Goku turns SSJ4 for the first time and everything between the end of the Baby Saga till the appearance of Nova Shenron are plain boring and uninteresting.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ash57
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash57 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:38 am

Definitively Buu Saga. I mean, 30% of the saga is a gag. Heck, the entire ROSAT Arc was a gag in my opinion
"No matter how many times you spend on these forums. No matter how arrogant you are, you'll eventually lose a debate. So stop and admit that you're not omniscient"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am

Dragon Ball Gt's 1st 15 episodes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 am

Everything right now.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:47 pm

sintzu wrote:Dragon Ball Gt's 1st 15 episodes.
I can't believe I forgot about this.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 pm

The Resurrection 'F' film and GT's Super 17 arc.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Probably not the worst but definitely one of the worst.The main fight of the ROF Arc,i actually reached to the point where i didn't give a shit anymore and will just wait for the new arc.Animation and fight choreography is very bad that it hurts,at least episode 27 gives me hope.The same goes for the main fight in the Freeza Arc in Z.A damn 19 episodes of fighting ain't gonna be good if most of it is just talking and powering up.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Most of the Cell Arc.