Super vs GT - so far

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super vs GT - so far

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:58 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:It was never confirmed if Toriyama had involvement or not in the retellings.But i doubt he had nothing to do with it,those major changes like Goku and Beerus' clash [which was also present in the manga],Champa and Vados' appearance etc was probably his idea.
I don't know how involved he was, but it was his idea for Super to retell the movies.
Do you have a source for that statement or is it just something else you heard? Or are you referring to Toriyama's opening comments on Super, where he just tells us there'll be retold arcs?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:19 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:It was never confirmed if Toriyama had involvement or not in the retellings.But i doubt he had nothing to do with it,those major changes like Goku and Beerus' clash [which was also present in the manga],Champa and Vados' appearance etc was probably his idea.
I don't know how involved he was, but it was his idea for Super to retell the movies.
Do you have a source for that statement or is it just something else you heard? Or are you referring to Toriyama's opening comments on Super, where he just tells us there'll be retold arcs?
Geekdom said that Hujio said that. I dont know for sure, i have to check out the interview he did with Hujio.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 am

C'mon, when Super raise the intensity up to this scale, then we can have a fair debate about what's better lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKQKf6of7Q

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:47 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:C'mon, when Super raise the intensity up to this scale, then we can have a fair debate about what's better lol.

God that's so bad ass

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 am

"And i never want to see you again" Says Goku right before he got blinded :P I forgot how corny DBZ/DBGT English dub can sound
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:48 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:C'mon, when Super raise the intensity up to this scale, then we can have a fair debate about what's better lol.

https://youtu.be/lkiv6F-vz80?t=139
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm

sintzu wrote:

I don't know what's being said here...are we saying Vegeta slapping an exhausted person around is intense? Cause I found both versions of that 'fight' really boring.

Meanwhile on the other end we have ice claws blinding Goku and slashing his cheek (OMG BLOOD!) while he puts an arm through Eis Shenron's gut and ends things with some good ol' overkill. I mean yeah personal tastes I guess, but Vegeta slapping around G Freeza really isn't that intense...its just him wailing on a defenseless fighter.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Cetra wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:At least the power inconsistencies in Super feels better then they where in GT in my opinion. We haven't had Goku got scared of a metal fan yet or have his eyes be hurt by glass :roll: . Not to mention Base Goku took no damage from Super Yi Xing Long while SSj4 Goku was getting his ass kicked.
Only because almighty Sorbet's ring gets defended through the power of double standards and Goku in GT gets not. Probably for the same reason Gero's steel door gets defended and GT Goku gets not.

Really, if someone does not like GT that is fine but at least some fairness should be included.
Well with Dr. Gero, you could say that he was able to make a powerful enough metal door to powerful enough that it can't be broken through. I still take Sorbet's ring hurting Goku over Goku being scared of a metal fan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:24 pm

I like super way better then GT, Super seems to be getting better with every episode, while GT Floundered most of the time.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:31 pm

I'd like to put up that the Phantom Menace was looked on positively until it's hype died down. GT has ended for a long time, and people have had plenty of time to form an opinion. Heck during back my early days of the internet. People voted GT over the original Dragon Ball while it was still running.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:48 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I'd like to put up that the Phantom Menace was looked on positively until it's hype died down. GT has ended for a long time, and people have had plenty of time to form an opinion. Heck during back my early days of the internet. People voted GT over the original Dragon Ball while it was still running.
Really? That happened? :o :shock: :?

The internet really can be a crazy place. :crazy:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I'd like to put up that the Phantom Menace was looked on positively until it's hype died down. GT has ended for a long time, and people have had plenty of time to form an opinion. Heck during back my early days of the internet. People voted GT over the original Dragon Ball while it was still running.
Really? That happened? :o :shock: :?

The internet really can be a crazy place. :crazy:
That is what hype and fan love does to people. I can't say Super will be as fondly loved or hated years down the line as who knows. It's not over yet, and the hype is still around. Like the Phantom Menace it was actually well liked until the grim reality hit. Same can potentially be said about Super in the future. I can easily see it being the next GT as another product which will continue on in game form and marketing, but won't be remembered for much beyond new characters and forms. No way to know. Something big could catapult it, or something bad could bury it. We'll see.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:58 pm

^ id say brings back Kaioken and future trunks after decades or absence could potentially trivialize everything that happened in Z. Now we know that Goku would have always had the option the use Kaioken and Trunks could have gone back and changed any earth destroying event. In my opinion that should bury it to fan fiction levels.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:07 pm

I think the Kaioken could still be useful...if it was taught to non Saiyan characters, especially the humans.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:55 pm

voltlunok wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I don't know what's being said here...are we saying Vegeta slapping an exhausted person around is intense? Cause I found both versions of that 'fight' really boring.

Meanwhile on the other end we have ice claws blinding Goku and slashing his cheek (OMG BLOOD!) while he puts an arm through Eis Shenron's gut and ends things with some good ol' overkill. I mean yeah personal tastes I guess, but Vegeta slapping around G Freeza really isn't that intense...its just him wailing on a defenseless fighter.
Yeah, I can relate. The movie version of Vegeta kicking Frieza's ass was handled much better anyways. I mean, think of all the times Goku and Vegeta got destroyed in GT. There has been lots of occasions when characters have been getting beat up badly. Almost every villain gave Goku and the Z-fighters a run for their money.

The whole Baby arc was GT's strongest point I believe with having the Z-fighters turn evil. I loved that idea! it made things really tense and emotional.
We have Kid Goku going SSJ3 and getting his ass torn apart by Baby Vegeta.

Honestly speaking, GT had some amazing moments to reflect upon when you think about it. Bringing back the Dragon Fist, Spirit Bomb and really gave Dragon Ball a solid ending.

Does anyone else get irritated when fans beg developers to put in GT characters in games but they actually hate GT? it really makes me mad. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJDSykHc-Wg < - - - This fight had all sorts of skin chilling moments.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I think the Kaioken could still be useful...if it was taught to non Saiyan characters, especially the humans.
I completely agree, but we have most of the Z warriors and even Piccolo train with King Kai and NOT learn the technique which could have been used to keep them relevant.
Like a Tien with Kaioken X100 would actually be thrilling because you know he just got real serious, real powerful, and there's a very real chance he could totally destroy himself in the process, but would put him up close to SPC levels with a plot device that already exists. You could even have him do an X500 kaioken attack against Buu and basically nearly kill himself in the process. And don't even get me started on how much wasted potential it is for Piccolo or Krillin not to have the ability.

Instead we get the Kaioken stacked on top of the already overpower God and SSJ forms with a kaioken SSB form just to further widen the gap for no reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:23 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I'd like to put up that the Phantom Menace was looked on positively until it's hype died down
I remember Episode I was dislike when the movie came out. I remember Star Wars chat rooms on AOL in 1999 had a lot of fans disliking the movie and I remember reviews at the time was mixed or negative.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I'd like to put up that the Phantom Menace was looked on positively until it's hype died down
I remember Episode I was dislike when the movie came out. I remember Star Wars chat rooms on AOL in 1999 had a lot of fans disliking the movie and I remember reviews at the time was mixed or negative.
Episode II is still worse.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
No it wasn't. It was well liked. Tons of people went on about how it was awesome and they were gonna see it again. There's even articles about how it was actually well received back then. Reviews also were good. Not original trilogy good, but still good. Years later, there's no telling if Super is gonna be fondly remembered. Just like how back then, GT was actually put over the original Dragon Ball. People voted that back in my early internet days.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:28 am

Man, sometimes I get the feeling that GT fans want Super to fail.
Anyway, other than GT's first 15 episodes or so, I enjoy both shows, even Super 17 and ROF arcs, which definetly have problems. I enjoy Super more, especially the newer stuff, but both are good, flawed shows IMO (still worse than DB/Z). Then again, I don't really care about power levels or small inconcistencies that much, which seems to be what most people complain about. And I totally don't give a damn about certain characters deserving more screen time or winning more fights.