Super is not so bad like someone says

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gaberparadiso
Beyond Newbie

Super is not so bad like someone says

Post by gaberparadiso » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Am I the only one who thinks DBS is getting better and better? It started very weakly, with the first episode being... useless (just like episode 16 of DBZ), but the following episodes show some big improvement.
First, I really like characters' development, especially Vegeta (he's my favorite character along with Piccolo), whose personality evolved most among other characters: he's still very proud and arrogant, but in the last episode showed some kind of respect towards Cabba, he wanted him to become stronger, not only becoming a SSJ, but also psychologically, by teaching him not to give up. Besides, showing his relationship with Bulma, Trunks and, why not, even Goku was a really nice touch. At least he's getting more time screen with Goku (he's the main character, inevitably), unlike DBGT, which I don't hate, but I didn't like at all the fact that Pan got more time screen than him.
Second, I really enjoyed the last two episodes: the first one had screaming, powering up and Vegeta's signature techniques (DBZ stuff) and the second one showed Vegeta literally training Cabba, just like Goku did for Uub, but this made much more sense, since they're both Saiyans and Vegeta taught Cabba to be proud, whereas Goku did that for his egoism, because he wanted to test his strength even further.
Overall, I'm quite enjoying this Champa saga, and I think next episode will be pretty good, it even showed BLOOD.
Third, the animation is slowly reaching his levels, which is a nice thing, of course. Maybe a lot of fans will disagree with me, but I'd prefer episode 26, with all its mistakes, rather than any of Ebisawa's key animation (except Kanno's). Episode 36 was really not bad, good old Final Flash was back.

However, DBS has two big flaws:
1) Despite being Toriyama's favorite character, Piccolo isn't getting much screen time (he just comments on other Z-Fighters' matches, staying aside), apart from him being killed by Frieza's Death Beam. DBS creators should have given him more important roles.
2) Goku is stupider than he was in the original series. I mean, he's never been the brightest mind, especially comparing him with Vegeta, but here is just... so naive: watching him being demanding towards Bulma in episode 17 was completely out of character, in my opinion. Also, he does lower his guard down much more often than before (I thought Mr. Popo taught him not to do it during his training in Kami's Temple). I'm not saying he hasn't had any cool moment so far (his fight against Beerus was awesome), but he's not THIS naive. In DBGT, at least there was a reason for it: Goku became a child so, along with his Instant Transmission and SSJ3, he also lost some of the basics, for example how to count (silly, but still).

sintzu
Banned

Re: Super is not so bad like someone says

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:20 pm

It's production is definitely getting better and the story has been great so far.

Vegeta has really gotten to shine in this, a lot more than I thought he would so I'm more than happy about it.
gaberparadiso wrote:Despite being Toriyama's favorite character, Piccolo isn't getting much screen time.
I think he picks the characters who work best for the story rather than who he prefers.

Back in the 90's, hee said he didn't like Vegeta that much but he used him a lot more than Piccolo who was his favorite because he helped move the plot foreword.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Super has gotten better after the ROF arc ended. I do I have high hopes for the rest of the show with Toriyama being apart of future stories. The Champa arc has been better than GT and the Buu saga in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm enjoying Super. I'm probably in the minority, but I like Super's Gokû; he's really cute in that "slice of life character" way even though he probably isn't supposed to be since this is an action show. I'm impressed with Vegeta's increase in good luck, but I miss his fiery temperament from the Buu arc. I'm so hungry to find out Cabba's back-story. Planet Sadla's the biggest thing I want to see them visit now. I'm excited kaio-ken is coming back; always liked kaio-ken.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Up until the end of the ROF arc, Super had been quite uneven. But the show has been really hitting its stride since the Champa arc began. The slice of life episodes have been fantastic, there's not denying it. They have provided some of the best content in Dragon Ball in many years.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Super definitely had an uphill battle with its rushed production, particularly for the first two sagas, but with the exception of some bad animation here and there it's been very good since the Champa arc began. The writing is good, the action is good, the comedy is good, the music is nothing spectacular but perfectly serviceable. It's a worthy addition to the series, and hopefully it keeps up from here on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:35 pm

The BoG arc had some hiccups but it was very good. The slice of life episodes were excellent. The RoF arc... the less said the better, though it did correct some of the movie's inconsistencies. The tournament is great however and the world building was phenomenal. It still has huge animation issues, but that's beating a dead horse, since it's clear they are trying to fix them and if Super will go on for a while it should get to a more acceptable week-to-week level eventually, as opposed to the good episode, 2-3 mediocre ones, 1-2 bad ones and another good one pattern we've been getting. My big problems with it are Goku's portrayal most of the times and the lack of blood. Next episode seems to have some blood so they are not afraid to show it, so why not do it everytime it's needed? I'm not talking Raditz's death level of blood, since Japan has changed it's standards, but some here and there when holes are getting put in people or arms getting torn off should be there.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Well, now it feels like the production knows what they're trying to do. The BoG and RF arcs felt like them just throwing random things at the wall and hoping some of them would stick. The Goku/Beerus fight reeked of this, with every episode of the fight introducing some new idea that probably wasn't going to be brought up ever again. The RF arc had a whole bunch of strange deviations (Ginyu, Piccolo's death) which felt more like fanservice, especially because they weren't in the movie.

I mean, this arc is a tournament. It's pretty clear to everyone what has to happen. Toei is less likely to add random material for no reason other than because they feel like it.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:48 pm

It's because the show is finally getting better. :wink: You came at a time when Super's becoming a really good series but had it been during the 1st and 2nd seasons you'd be pretty disappointed with it.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:05 pm

The production is getting better and to be honest I never really had a major issue with that outside of it being poor craftsmanship. My issue will always be the feeling of the story being something drawn straight out of fan fiction. Now with the revelation that the who Gods level wasn't even Akiras idea and them bringing back Kaioken and Future Trunks it feels even more fan fictionish which I'm not liking at all. If the power scaling didn't affect the plot to the point where the tension we experienced in other DB franchises was lost I would probably love super.. :(

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Except for the last third of the RoF saga it's all been pretty good so far. It is getting better though.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 pm

gaberparadiso wrote:Am I the only one who thinks DBS is getting better and better? It started very weakly, with the first episode being... useless (just like episode 16 of DBZ)
The first episode wasn't useless.
They had to build up Beerus and Whis. And Champa/Vados even got foreshadowed by Kibitoshin and Elder Kai.

Goku also gets the money from Satan, that allows him to quit his farmer job and go training on Kaio's planet. Which is where he ends up meeting Beerus for the first time.

As long as something is happening that helps the plot move forward, an episode isn't useless.

Writting was never Super main problem, since both arcs are better written than their Movie counterparts. Most people didn't like them, because they already had saw the movies and didn't accept we were getting retellings. Champa's arc is good too but could be better.

I don't ask much from the other two because they were originally written as a Movie in mind. BOG arc was great, ROF arc was rushed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:04 am

Still haven't seen the show. I hope FUNimation gets their hands on it soon enough. I'm glad it's supposedly getting better, but I'd be okay having never seen it. Every time I read something about it, it just seems dumb. Maybe it is executed better than it comes off, but I feel like it's kind of stupid. The retelling of the two movies that JUST came out is silly. Then, the characters start getting messed with. I read that Freeza had a charity somewhere and he wasn't actually a "bad guy" the way his other relative was? Like seriously? I read that apparently Future Trunks is supposed to come back. That seems pretty useless. There are others, I just forgot, but I have yet to read a seriously interesting story concept from the series. The different universes is okay, but it comes off as a bit inconsequential because at the end of the day, they'll just return to their own universe and all the characters you meet will be a thing of the past. Plus, The Flash series (and comics in general) is doing the other dimension thing and while I love the series, I guess I'm just not into that stuff.

In any event, glad you guys are enjoying the series. Strange reading about everyone who dies, but it's not like it really matters anyway. Death has become totally inconsequential in DB.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:11 am

Quite a few of the things you cited are jokes or misinformation. I hate that you're getting a warped interpretation of events, so I ask that you try your best to keep an open mind and pay no attention to things you haven't confirmed yourself as of yet.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:36 am

Nejishiki wrote:Quite a few of the things you cited are jokes or misinformation. I hate that you're getting a warped interpretation of events, so I ask that you try your best to keep an open mind and pay no attention to things you haven't confirmed yourself as of yet.
You make it sound like I'm judging the series based on what I've heard. I haven't seen it and don't really want to see it, clearly. If I did, I'm not at any disadvantage from anyone else watching it outside of Japan. I just choose to wait for FUNimation's release. But if it never happens, I'm not exactly clawing, looking forward to it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what I read, I'll watch it IF FUNimation gets their hands on it. Whatever I read will not sway my decision. If it sounds absolutely awful, I'd still watch it if FUNimation got it. If what I read sounds like the greatest thing ever, I still won't watch it on YouTube or some site that streams it. So it's not like I need to have an "open mind" about it because it doesn't really move me one way or another.

I'm glad that most of it is a "joke" or "misinformation," though. I mean I guess I'm glad... I don't know, I'm totally indifferent to the whole thing.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:06 pm

It's not even bad. Super's perfectly fine. The post-ROF stories, in particular has had some of my favorite material in years.

The animation and musical score aren't stellar, but are perfectly acceptable given the type of production and schedule this has. And there are small flourishes where the good animators get to show off.

Plus, more time spent with the Japanese cast is always a good time in my book.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:22 pm

It's grown on me. It's genuinely exciting to follow now, and even looking back on some of the movie-adaptation episodes, they aren't terrible.

The way the Battle of Gods arc is scripted is genuinely awful though, and the Freeza arc contains some of the entire franchise's animation nadirs.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:41 pm

I admit that I have criticized Super in the past for numerous things but most of the time that was because I looked at screenshots of episodes and never actually watched an episode. Now that I'm actually sitting down and watching the episodes, it's not half bad. It's starting to grow on me :lol:

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Bansho64 wrote:I admit that I have criticized Super in the past for numerous things but most of the time that was because I looked at screenshots of episodes and never actually watched an episode. Now that I'm actually sitting down and watching the episodes, it's not half bad. It's starting to grow on me :lol:
Which season are you watching?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:I admit that I have criticized Super in the past for numerous things but most of the time that was because I looked at screenshots of episodes and never actually watched an episode. Now that I'm actually sitting down and watching the episodes, it's not half bad. It's starting to grow on me :lol:
Which season are you watching?
I just finished the Battle of Gods arc. Hopefully the ROF arc isn't as bad as what I've seen.