The Japanese - other language audio switching.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyàBitō

The Japanese - other language audio switching.

Post by SaiyàBitō » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:09 pm

I couldn't help myself but wonder...

Why do some countries (mainly some of the European countries) do this? Is it due to budgets with Toei Animation or something?

I mean to me, it doesn't really matter of the switching but... I am literally curious of this now.
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: The Japanese - other language audio switching.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:44 pm

SaiyàBitō wrote:I couldn't help myself but wonder...

Why do some countries (mainly some of the European countries) do this? Is it due to budgets with Toei Animation or something?

I mean to me, it doesn't really matter of the switching but... I am literally curious of this now.
You're not being too precise in your description, but I can only think of two things which match what you've written: screaming scenes and cut scenes.

In the first case, some European dubs indeed switched to Japanese for fight scenes, leaving screams and grunts undubbed for the most part. As far as I know, it was done to spare the VAs some of the worst scenes, taking into account that most of them weren't used to screaming, or at least not at Dragon Ball levels.

The second case has happened in the past few years. There have been uncut DVD releases of the series in quite a few countries, and the scenes which weren't dubbed in the first place tend to be left in Japanese with subtitles. The reasons for this may vary: some or all the VAs may have retired, it may have been too noticeable for the audience, or they simply thought it was cheaper.

All of this said, it'd help if you told us the exact case.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts