Is EVERYTHING Dragon Ball ‘Z' to you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyàBitō

Is EVERYTHING Dragon Ball ‘Z' to you?

Post by SaiyàBitō » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 am

Doesn't anyone have that dislike when someone calls the entire Dragon Ball series just "Dragon Ball Z"?

I mean, honestly it's quite annoying when I here someone calls it that. Like not "EVERYTHING" in the Dragon Ball community. Like, someone has to be "specific" about the ‘Z' era of the story. Because you have the original Dragon Ball, of course you have the Z era, GT, Super, fanfic material like DBAF and such. (I was thinking of the video games that has the 'Z' in it, even though it has the DB and GT arcs in it.) It might be the possible fact that only Dragon Ball Z is the popular part of the entire series in the U.S. maybe, I'm not sure.

Like Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball, I get it. But, when someone calls the entiiiiire thing Dragon Ball Z, it makes no sense at all really.

(Please, you can all be honest of this. But, surely I do not need the negativity alright?)
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is EVERYTHING Dragon Ball ‘Z' to you?

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:48 am

Nope, shit pisses me off too. Sounds really annoying. Not even 100% sure on all of my reasonings for feeling so. Just call it Dragon Ball and call it a day.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 am

In a way, yes. I'm one of those nerds who will insist on calling the entire series Dragon Ball unless we're specifically referring to the Z anime or anything outside of the original story such as GT, Online, and Super. As for it bothering me personally? Not at all, I'm too easygoing to be riled up like that. :D It'll be something I bring up quickly and leave it at that.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 am

Yeah, it bothers me too, and it happens A LOT. I always have to remind myself, though, that the person saying it generally doesn't know that they're doing anything wrong. In my experience, most casual US fans (and by casual, I mean not here on these forums) don't know that the original manga series is called Dragon Ball the whole way through. Matter of fact, the vast majority of them don't even know that it was based on a comic at all. And even if they are aware of the pre-Z anime, they tend to think of it as a prequel or something. To them, Dragon Ball Z came first and is the original, therefore they don't think twice about referring to the entire franchise as Dragon Ball Z. I can't even really fault them for this, as that's just the way Dragon Ball happened here in the states.

So my immediate reaction is always incredible irritation until I remind myself of all that.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:40 am

It doesn't "annoy" me, unless it's clear the person referring to it as such has no clue what they're talking about. I even try to avoid using the phrase "'Z' era" in regards to the manga, but it is admittedly shorter to say and write than "Goku's adulthood" or "Volumes 17 and up".
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:56 am

I dislike it but it's not someing I get upset about. Really the only time it does make me made is when someone's like "Hey remember Pilaf from DBZ ?" that annoys me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:15 am

Some people add Z to Gt and AF for some reason as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:21 am

It's incredibly annoying. It's mostly the US fans who do it because they only grew up with Z.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 am

The longer I stay on this site, the less tolerant I am of dubisms and related fandom ideas. I used to be ok with "Say-un" and "King Kai", but now I cringe whenever I hear them (which is EVERY TIME an English speaking fan talks about them, expect for the Kanzenshuu podcast and MistareFusion). Now I'm even spelling things like Blooma and Gokuu. The larger fandom is basically ruined for me now. (Curse you, accuracy and consistency!)

As for the Z vs. DB thing I feel the division does nothing but make the fandom argue more, as people feel compelled to make up reasons justifying the split. (Gokuu is a kid in DB, Z is more serious, DB is for kids, Z is more mature, DB is just comedy ect.)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:49 am

Yeah, it's annoying when they say DBZ franchise, DBZ manga, DBZGT, DBZ Super, DEEE BEEE ZEEE!
It's just Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball manga, Dragon Ball anime, and you just add 1 or more letters if you're talking about specific part of Dragon Ball franchise.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:28 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:DBZ manga
To be fair, a major English release of the corresponding manga volumes does have the "Z" slapped on, so people who just happened to pick those up and aren't really deep into the fandom or anything might understandably think that that's what the manga was called too.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
The longer I stay on this site, the less tolerant I am of dubisms and related fandom ideas. I used to be ok with "Say-un" and "King Kai", but now I cringe whenever I hear them (which is EVERY TIME an English speaking fan talks about them)
I cringe when I see fans act like they're superior to everyone else just because they watch the show in Japanese or because they saw DB before Z.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:08 am

Captain Space wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:DBZ manga
To be fair, a major English release of the corresponding manga volumes does have the "Z" slapped on, so people who just happened to pick those up and aren't really deep into the fandom or anything might understandably think that that's what the manga was called too.
Yeah, i know, but its still annoying whenever i hear it. I think Viz also realised that they made the mistake, dont they release the manga under just Dragon Ball now?

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am

Kuririn Fan wrote: Yeah, i know, but its still annoying whenever i hear it. I think Viz also realised that they made the mistake, dont they release the manga under just Dragon Ball now?
Yeah, I agree it wasn't necessary (like, if a 'casual' fan, not to sound too derogatory by saying that, sees "Dragon Ball" manga with a picture of Goku or Freeza on it, they're gonna know what it is Z or no Z).

Um...I...have no idea XD Maybe they did re-release it like that. I don't really keep up with releases. I just own most of the run of the red/white-volume manga that uses the "Z" for the latter 26.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:20 am

Oh, you'd be better believe that annoys me. But it's not really the people, per se. Similar to how I blame FUNimation for dubisms that have persisted all these years, it's hard to blame the fans for being presented false or skewed information and assuming it's right. As has been mentioned, even the Viz manga release has reinforced this idea that there are two different series, and that is a misconception that really frustrates me. So of course I'll be even more frustrated if it's taken to an even further and more inaccurate extreme. As a result, it's kind of soured me on the name "Dragon Ball Z" in general, and I only tend to use it if I'm talking specifically about an event exclusive to the TV show or one of its movies. I even long ago trained myself, while reading the Viz manga, to quickly do the math in my head to come up with the real chapter number: add 200, subtract 6. I always do it. Every. Single. Time.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 am

I mean, you don't even have to do any maths to come up with the real volume number, the cover art almost always includes it in some way, heh.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:50 am

It still kind of annoys me, but at this point I'm so used to people referring to the entire franchise with the Z that it just doesn't register any response anymore. Nowadays I think the only dubisms that really bother me are things like Frieza, Korin or Master Shen.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:25 am

Since the series really is just Dragon Ball, that's the name I try to use when talking about it. Admittedly to do so runs the risk of confusing whomever you're talking to and you might have to spend time clarifying that you mean the series as a whole instead of the pre-Z anime, and the only payoff is that you get to be an elitest who uses the "correct" terms, but I guess anything that helps separate the idea that the Z anime is a sequel can be considered progress.

But, no, this isn't a big deal. I'd guess that more people (in general, not just in the DB fandom) are anime-only fans or lean heavily in that direction, and Dragon Ball Z is what got its name out there in the West, so it's only natural that most people default to "this is DBZ".

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 am

it is not a big deal IMO.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:59 am

It's always annoying when people don't know what they are talking about.
The problem is when they assume the story started in DBZ and every product that comes after, in this case GT or Super, must be exactly the same.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.