Why did Bulma say she hasn't met Goku in 5 years?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why did Bulma say she hasn't met Goku in 5 years?

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm

EoZ happens in age 784, and current year in Super is Age 780. It doesn't make sense

(scanlation removed by administrator)
Last edited by Faisal Shourov on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Re: Why did Bulma say she hasn't met Goku in 5 years?

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 pm

Such a small scan.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Because she hadn't.
The newer stuff retconned it.
This is only one of many.
It's nothing new with Dragon ball.
They probably forgot & don't care about Goku's statement.
Last edited by Cursemark505 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:10 pm

The ending was written 20 years before this new material was ever concieved. If you feel like accepting the new films or Super into the continuity, it's a retcon. Simple as that. Nothing to worry about; it's far from the only plot problem in the manga.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Because Super is sloppily written and has next to zero regard for the original story's continuity. It's not even like they've sacrificed it for the sake of a good story or anything, it's just carelessness.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:Because she hadn't.
The newer stuff retconned it.
This is only one of many.
It's nothing new with Dragon ball.
They probably forgot & don't care about Goku's statement.
Can you give more examples of retcon in Super?
Last edited by Faisal Shourov on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but if we're already sacrificing the whole 'the world was at peace for ten years' angle, then I don't see why the 'they haven't seen each other for five years' angle should be preserved any better.

Granted, this could all be avoided if they, Toriyama included, weren't so reluctant to take the franchise past where the series ended instead of eternally keeping us in that ten year gap...but it is what it is. And for better or worse, I for one have enjoyed the newer material enough to be okay with sacrificing one or two lines of dialogue from the hastily thrown together 'dear god just let me stop drawing this now, please' ending that Toriyama came up with 20 years ago.

Again, that's just my own viewpoint on it though. I can totally understand where others wouldn't see it the same way, because even I would prefer it not be a choice between the two things. I love the ending, particularly the setup of Pan and Oob and getting to see the older Goten and Trunks, and I still have a (perhaps naive) hope that Super will move on to do stuff with all of that at a later point in time. Until then though, it is what it is.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Toriyama wrote the ending to DBZ before Super even existed. Goku even said that Buu is the strongest opponent that he has fought when that is wrong. It eve said that they went 10 years of peace when that is wrong too since we had Beerus, Freeza's return, Champa and Black during that 10 years.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Toriyama wrote the ending to DBZ before Super even existed. Goku even said that Buu is the strongest opponent that he has fought when that is wrong. It eve said that they went 10 years of peace when that is wrong too since we had Beerus, Freeza, Champa and Black during that 10 years.
Goku said Buu was the strongest during their fight, not after it, so there is nothing wrong with his statement.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Because it's a small line that has nothing to do with the overall chapter, and can easily be retcon'd if they want it to be.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:39 pm

Makai wrote:Because it's a small line that has nothing to do with the overall chapter, and can easily be retcon'd if they want it to be.
/Thread.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:14 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:EoZ happens in age 784, and current year in Super is Age 780. It doesn't make sense
It makes perfect sense. The final two chapters got in the way of telling the story the production staff wanted to tell, so they ignored it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:17 am

It's obviously because it was written 20 years ago and it was simply retconed by the new material like the others said, but one might wonder if they are trying to tell us EOZ isn't happening in Super. I think it's just a mistake but If Bra isn't born any time soon, or pan gets a few years older, than it's definitely not happening.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 am

Its really not a big deal. And i think EoZ is still staying,there were far bigger contradictions than this "5 year line", such as 8 months for DBs to be activated and Cell coming back after Goku blasted his top half. Toriyama wont replace it with material he doesnt like. Even if he somehow he does replace it, i wont care, manga will always stay canon for me, and not this mediocre at best material.

Videls_Panties
Banned

Post by Videls_Panties » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:Cell coming back after Goku blasted his top half.
Someone else agrees with me about that! I've been saying that for years Goku should have won before Gohan even got a chance...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:56 am

Well the training trips line fits with them constantly going away to Beerus' planet at least.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:34 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Granted, this could all be avoided if they, Toriyama included, weren't so reluctant to take the franchise past where the series ended instead of eternally keeping us in that ten year gap....
I find it odd since everyone could easily wish for youth.
Bulma said she was gonna do that anyways so I don't see why not.
He could go past the ten year gap and retain everyone's youth if he actually used his brain.

What's the point of the Dragon balls if they're hardly used?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:12 am

I dunno...one part of me wants to say they wouldn't abuse the Dragon Balls in such a mundane fashion like that...but then we have Bulma using them as freakin' Bingo game prizes, so who the heck knows.

Maybe it's a case where Bulma would, but the others wouldn't really? Regardless though, the best case scenario, IMO at least, is something that manages to keep the broad strokes of the ending (Pan being a pretty strong toddler, Goku and the others entering the tournament and Goku finding Oob and deciding to go train him), while perhaps painting it all in a new light given what we now know via Super.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I dunno...one part of me wants to say they wouldn't abuse the Dragon Balls in such a mundane fashion like that...but then we have Bulma using them as freakin' Bingo game prizes, so who the heck knows.

Maybe it's a case where Bulma would, but the others wouldn't really? Regardless though, the best case scenario, IMO at least, is something that manages to keep the broad strokes of the ending (Pan being a pretty strong toddler, Goku and the others entering the tournament and Goku finding Oob and deciding to go train him), while perhaps painting it all in a new light given what we now know via Super.

Aaaaaand....cue the Shadow Dragons.:roll:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Super wanted to tell more of a story and obviously wasn't going to let the final few chapters of the manga get in the way of that. To be honest, the line itself doesn't really carry that much value. Goku's supposed five year absence doesn't have any real bearing on the story anyway by that point the manga, so it's really not that big of a deal. It's a minor retcon at worst if you have Super taking place within the main continuity in which the original story from manga exists as well.