I am dreading the dub of Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I am dreading the dub of Super.

Post by MaxZ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:50 am

dbs fanboy wrote:You're lucky, because Funimation's dub for dragon ball is pretty cool, i still remember the inconsistences from the spanish dub.
Ehem "onda vital" "guerrero del espacio" (instead of calling a saiyajin, saiyan or saiyajin, that dub changed the name into "space warriors" or something like that)
I thought the Big Green Dub was the one that called them space warriors?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:08 am

I hope Sean Schemmel also does Goku black, which I assume he will.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:28 am

Ajay wrote:The only thing I'm dreading about the dub is first-time fans bringing about the hell that came from episode 5 all over again. I think a large majority of people are fairly clued up on things now or have become apathetic to the situation. I really really do not want to deal with that headache again.
Didn't episode 5 get remastered for the blue ray release?? I'm pretty sure Funimation will use the remastered version of Episode 5.

On another note, I'm positive Funi will do an excelent job. Assassination Classroom's dub was outstanding. I've never enjoyed an english dubbed anime as much Assassination Classroom (after DBZ of course).

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:33 am

dbs fanboy wrote:You're lucky, because Funimation's dub for dragon ball is pretty cool, i still remember the inconsistences from the spanish dub.
Ehem "onda vital" "guerrero del espacio" (instead of calling a saiyajin, saiyan or saiyajin, that dub changed the name into "space warriors" or something like that)
There are 2 spanish dubs. One is from spain meant for the spanish market and the other one is from Mexico made for the latin american market. The latter was the best one. WAAAY better than the original funi dub. And when I mean the original Funi dub, i'm talking about the one I saw on toonami when i lived in NY in late 90's early 2000's. Then i moved to DR (which is in Latin America) and saw the mexican dub, which is superior in so many ways and at the time it was the most faithful dub to the original japanese version, in terms of translation and names. Most characters remained with their japanese original name.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:50 am

precita wrote:I hope Sean Schemmel also does Goku black, which I assume he will.
He liked my twitter comment that I cannot wait for his voicing of Goku Black. I am sure he will be Goku Black.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:57 am

Does anybody know when the Funi dub of DBS might be coming out??

I heard they were doing the Buu arc of Kai, but i haven't heard about it in a long time. I'd alos like to know when the dub of buu arc of kai comes out. If there's any information on them matter.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:07 am

Hit!! wrote:Does anybody know when the Funi dub of DBS might be coming out??

I heard they were doing the Buu arc of Kai, but i haven't heard about it in a long time. I'd alos like to know when the dub of buu arc of kai comes out. If there's any information on them matter.
There is no public information on the matter. The company cannot and will not announce something before they can announce it. I know that sounds simultaneously logical and insane, but that's how it goes. Until every "t" is crossed and every "i" is dotted, they risk business arrangements by commenting on anything they may have in progress.

Rest assured, a company like FUNimation not only knows about a product like Dragon Ball Super, but has likely been doing everything in their power to get it in as fast a timeframe as reasonably makes sense while also working with their other partners.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:44 am

Cetra wrote:
precita wrote:I hope Sean Schemmel also does Goku black, which I assume he will.
He liked my twitter comment that I cannot wait for his voicing of Goku Black. I am sure he will be Goku Black.
I'm leaning towards him sounding similar to SSJ4 Goku.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in his portrayal.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:45 am

They don't really make dubs dumb down to the Western views as they used to be. We are not going to see a dub similar what Funimation did with DBZ and GT by westernizing it to the US market. Funimation at A-Kon last year that they want the dub for Super to be as perfect as possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:11 am

Personally I'd have concerns about the English dub that's going to be broadcast in Asia next month because we still don't know what the dubbing company is let alone their history with dubbing anime.

With Funimation I really don't think there's much to worry about as they are not the company they were in the 90s. Kai, BoG and RoF have shown that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:25 pm

Is that a fucking joke ?

The original funimation version was a disgrace. The stuff like the phantom zone and scientist Bardock and whatever, that was far worse than "space warriors".......

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 pm

Slaythe wrote:
Is that a fucking joke ?

The original funimation version was a disgrace. The stuff like the phantom zone and scientist Bardock and whatever, that was far worse than "space warriors".......
Ocean were the ones who came up with "scientist Bardock".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Funimation is the one that did all of the dubbing for DBZ back in 1996-1998. They use the Ocean voice cast, but they are the ones that would write the crappy dialogue like Bardock created the Power Ball, Hell to HIFL and Tenshinhan is able to grow back his arm.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:58 pm

MaxZ wrote:
I thought the Big Green Dub was the one that called them space warriors?
Both the Big Green dub and the European Spanish dub are based off the same source: AB Groupe's French dub. Though Funi's scripts have stupid dialogue and the occasional errors, they have something dubs based of AB Groupe's masters and scripts lack: coherence, consistent and separate attack names, and naming (afaik) everybody who was named in the original Japanese. AB Groupe is infamous for several things:
  • removing character names (some of the Ginyu force is never named, for example)
  • delaying naming characters (apparently Goku's name isn't revealed until several episodes after the first one)
  • giving absolutely bizarre names to some characters ("Genius Turtle" for the Turtle Hermit, Satan's Little Heart for Piccolo [Jr], probably some others...)
  • calling the Saiyans "Space Warriors"
  • either not naming attacks, calling them the Kamehameha, or if you're REALLY lucky "Magic Beam"
  • Not as noticeable in the movies, but episodes were cut really clumsily. Sometimes it was for time, sometimes it was because a scene was too violent. In every case, these cuts were done by snipping the offensive scene and skipping to the next one (apparently digital paint didn't exist at the time). This often causes confusion and incoherence, as violence scenes would be cut no matter how important they were to the plot (I heard that Zarbon and Dodoria's deaths were cut)
  • Even though the original Kikuchi soundtrack is retained, new theme songs were given. The theme given to Dragon Ball Z doesn't fit the series at all, being fairly childish.
As flawed as Funi's dub is (and at times it seems less faithful compared to the French script), it was consistent and comprehensible.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 pm

That's... actually really interesting info. :thumbup:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:14 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Only thing I dread is going through the retellings. I know they won't, but I'd rather they just skip the retellings, and just dub those on the side. Much rather start with the Champa portion.
Agreed. It would be so awesome if they would just air BoG and RoF on Toonami as a lead up to build hype, and then start Super at episode 28. They can release the retellings later in a "Lost Episodes" format. It worked well enough for GT.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:38 am

Dub to me always failed Dragonball. The only time it didn't, when I was younger and watched DBZ on KCAL 9 on Saturday mornings!

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:45 am

Danfun64 wrote:
  • delaying naming characters (apparently Goku's name isn't revealed until several episodes after the first one)
No, Goku's name was revealed right away. But Vegeta, for example, was only named after Goku arrived at the battlefield.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't speak French, so I could be wrong, but this is apparently what somebody said on the subject
UltimateHammerBro wrote:An incredible dialogue from episode 1 of DB in French:

Bulma: What's your name?
Goku: I don't know! I'm my grandfather's grandson! And what's your name?
Bulma: Mine? Well... it's written here!
Goku: Oh yeah? Well, I don't like it!

According to my source, the French didn't hear the name "Bulma" until episode 4, and it isn't until episode 5 that the Narrator names Goku.
A similar thing happened to Vegeta in the AB Group dubs of DBZ (he was first named by the Narrator when he turned into an Ohzaru. Ironically, Nappa had been named) but this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse :lol:
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:43 pm

That's... that's just terrible. :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune