Black only having one earring... Speculate

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Black only having one earring... Speculate

Post by Kishido » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:26 am

Why Black only has one earring... And who has the other Demigra looking earring and what this will mean for the future of the arc.

Is there someone else as Black waiting in the pipleline... to maybe even fuse with Black?

DreamedArtist

Re: Black only having one earring... Speculate

Post by DreamedArtist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

When I seen the episode and that green looking guy as well in the opening, I have a feeling that goku in that timeline is taken over by that dude or controlled by him or fused maybe?

I have a feeling it will come down to one of those. we will find out in maybe 4 to 6 episodes I hope.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:30 pm

You can't be evil without also being stylish.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Toriyama forgot, as per usual.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:13 pm

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Toriyama forgot, as per usual.

I don't see how this is case of Toriyama forgetting something. For all we know, it was done intentionally.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 pm

I highly doubt this is another one of those "Toriyama forgot" situations. We'll most likely be given an explanation later on.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:26 pm

I don't say this to imply anything in particular at all, but I think it's worth noting that the earrings as originally drawn in the manga had no relevance during their debut:
Daizenshuu 6: Akira Toriyama Super Interview wrote:What about the concept of the Potara?
That was simply, since Fusion was a plot point that was already taken by one of the movies, I was wondering what I should do; I had always been drawing earrings [on Kaiōshin], so I thought, “perhaps I can use these”…

Had you drawn them from the beginning, thinking that you’d use them as a fusion item?
No, not at all. They were just for decoration.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't say this to imply anything in particular at all, but I think it's worth noting that the earrings as originally drawn in the manga had no relevance during their debut:
Daizenshuu 6: Akira Toriyama Super Interview wrote:What about the concept of the Potara?
That was simply, since Fusion was a plot point that was already taken by one of the movies, I was wondering what I should do; I had always been drawing earrings [on Kaiōshin], so I thought, “perhaps I can use these”…

Had you drawn them from the beginning, thinking that you’d use them as a fusion item?
That's interesting.

I also find it funny how the Supreme Kaioshin originally had no clue at all about the earrings importance.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't say this to imply anything in particular at all, but I think it's worth noting that the earrings as originally drawn in the manga had no relevance during their debut:

I had absolutely no idea that Gogeta was introduced before Vegetto and that was the reason behind Toriyama creating the Potara earrings instead of going with the traditional fusion dance. The more you know :P

I find this particularly interesting because it was usually the other way around: The manga/Toriyama would come up with an idea/concept first and then Toei would reimagine said concept to use it in their movies.
Last edited by Kakarotto92 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Actually the case is a little more complex than that.

The idea of making Goku and Vegeta to fuse via fusion dance came first, but Vegito appeared on-screen before Gogeta. That's why Vegito was created, because Gogeta had already been used. :P
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:09 pm

While Black wearing one earring of any other design may hold no significance, I think Toriyama's aware that making it a Potara/Kaioshin earring is way too loaded a design choice to do nothing with it, plot-wise.

My guesses right now are the standard ones: He's either looking for someone to fuse with, or there's a reverse-Potara situation going on where the earrings actually split Goku into a good and evil side.

Or maybe he killed a Kaioshin and just took a trophy. Who knows?

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 pm

They may not even be Potara ear rings. Or they could be, and Black hasn't yet fused.
Also makes me wonder if their universe somehow discovered a way to defuse each other after fusing; Black doesn't strike me as the type who would be comfortable being permanently joined with another person (like Vegeta at first). To have one on already even though he hasn't run into anyone stronger than himself yet raises a few questions.
TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Toriyama forgot, as per usual.

Forgetting what? Goku was only wearing one before he fused with Vegeta. :wink:
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 am

Considering that there is only 1 earring and Black Goku is wearing it, could it be possible that there is a Black Vegeta out there as well with the other earring? A true Dark Prince?

Highly unlikely though because no form of Vegeta would ever want to fuse with any form of Goku

"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:00 am

While I doubt that idea, seeing any form of Vegetto again would be refreshing.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 am

Maybe Goku Black is future Goten dismissing the fact that he's a Saiyan, because Trunks rejected fusion with him, and so he wants to force it upon him. Joking aside, let's just wait for more episodes.