Why Bulma knew about the blue hair of Mirai Trunks?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why Bulma knew about the blue hair of Mirai Trunks?

Post by MadSaiyantist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 pm

The reason Bulma knew about Trunks having blue hair was because, according to Super, Trunks had blue hair the whole time in Z. If you have a major problem dealing with a small retcon like this, then I think you're going to have a lot of difficulty enjoying any Dragon Ball content from 2013 onward.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 pm

I just want to know why Gohan never fights anymore!

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:36 pm

Cipher wrote:I just want to know why Gohan never fights anymore!
Universe 6 arc is the only arc in his lifetime that Gohan hasn't fought in. Calm yourself.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:40 pm

No interest in the character. To be perfectly serious, and not my usual joking self about how shit they like Gohan being. There's more interest in utilizing Goten, Trunks, and the Pilaf gang over him. That really speaks volumes. Kids with no character, and a tired comedy trio are worth more to the series currently than Gohan is.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
No interest in the character. To be perfectly serious, and not my usual joking self about how shit they like Gohan being. There's more interest in utilizing Goten, Trunks, and the Pilaf gang over him. That really speaks volumes. Kids with no character, and a tired comedy trio are worth more to the series currently than Gohan is.
How do you expect to give "Kids with no character" a decent storyline if all you want is for them to live in the shadow of Gohan? Kusao himself said that he wanted to try to represent a Kid Trunks who was slowly maturing, and this seems like as good a time as any for that too happen. Goten and Trunks are just about as far away from God level strength as Gohan is so they've practically got the same odds of doing something important in the series as he does. I know power isn't everything in Dragon Ball but it sure as hell is big part of the series.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:33 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
How do you expect to give "Kids with no character" a decent storyline if all you want is for them to live in the shadow of Gohan? Kusao himself said that he wanted to try to represent a Kid Trunks who was slowly maturing, and this seems like as good a time as any for that too happen. Goten and Trunks are just about as far away from God level strength as Gohan is so they've practically got the same odds of doing something important in the series as he does. I know power isn't everything in Dragon Ball but it sure as hell is big part of the series.
I'm not against that. I mean we've had so much time, so many opportunities to develop Goten and Trunks, and it never happened. They're not even allowed to grow up for pete's sake. If this is a start for something meaningful, then good on them for taking literally years to finally make them worth a damn. But as history has shown, they've botched a lot of times they coulda done something. I have a feeling Future Trunks is going to get everything, while Present Trunks is the reactionary character.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:36 pm

My headcannon is hair changes colour as you age.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:33 am

I'll just rationalize it that Trunks visited Bulma and the gang some time in the seven years between Cell and Buu, after his hair had already turned blue. I'm pretty sure he did say that he would visit sometimes.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 am

To explain to the audience that that's what the characters of the DB universe believe now, and have apparently always seen in Super's continuity. Explaining why no one in the cast is asking "Why did his hair colour change?"

It's not lazy writing, it's them trying to cover up the change in design. They could just have easily not mentioned a single word about his hair.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:02 am

Its funny how this is the biggest uproar in Dragonball fandom history since Super episode 5.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:To explain to the audience that that's what the characters of the DB universe believe now, and have apparently always seen in Super's continuity. Explaining why no one in the cast is asking "Why did his hair colour change?"

It's not lazy writing, it's them trying to cover up the change in design. They could just have easily not mentioned a single word about his hair.
It would have been BETTER to just not mention it. I'd rather they just don't bring attention to it.

Having Bulma act as if his hair was always blue when WE SAW OTHERWISE in last episode's flashback is just stupid.
DragonHermit wrote:My headcannon is hair changes colour as you age.
But that's all it is. A headcanon. I would much prefer to have something official instead of the fans having to cover up the show's plotholes with headcanons.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:14 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:It's not lazy writing, it's them trying to cover up the change in design. They could just have easily not mentioned a single word about his hair.
I'd say it's pretty lazy writing. Instead of just acknowledging the change, they try to half ass it like it's always been the case. Like with Tights just suddenly being a thing in Super with no real introduction.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 pm

My thoughts exactly. Bulma's hair was decidedly purple in the manga, so maybe Toriyama's thought process when designing SuperF!Trunks went something like "Bulma has blue hair in the anime... therefore, Trunks must have blue hair," completely forgetting that ZF!Trunks somehow kept his manga colored hair. :crazy:

or maybe Super is just another crazy splintered time-line and it's all Trunks' fault

We'll never know. It's a bit weird that they addressed it directly with Bulma's line (following a prior episode featuring a Z flashback with his purple hair), but... whatever. I think it's a fresh look for Trunks as a whole. We've had more obvious conflicting content before. Getting over the initial shock is half the battle, hah. Doesn't necessarily threat retconning an entire ending from existence... :lolno: where's my baby-bump Bulma at
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm

This was a mistake by Toriyama. It's not that Trunks changed his hair and Bulma wouldn't know, it's that both Future and present Trunks are supposed to have the same hair. But now it's too late to change it, if they suddenly make Future Trunks with purple hair as intended, well you know from there.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:39 pm

When you compare all the minor color differences between the manga color chapters, the manga gray-scale pseudo-color chapters, the full color edition, all of the various cover arts over time, the anime itself, GT, video games, as well as art evolution over the course of thirty some odd years...

I'm baffled as to why anybody gives anything more than a slight crap about this.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Duo wrote:
I'm baffled as to why anybody gives anything more than a slight crap about this.
Dragon ball fans are obsessive :P

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:00 pm

So are they retconing Trunks's hair blue like it's always been like that? like his hair hasn't been Purple for the last 20 years in all his Anime and Video Game appearances and in all the merchandise to this point?

I know it's a stupid thing to be annoyed by and honestly he looks pretty good with blue hair but still...
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:57 am

Kouga wrote:Well, in Z they never explained that. :lol:
Ohh, so Vegeta was a super saiyan God since the start of Z. Who would've thought.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:05 am

Shinomori wrote:I thought it was kind of weird for Bulma to mention Trunks' hair, and it has nothing to do with her knowing it was blue before she saw him. A lot of people are amazingly wondering if Trunks' hair change will be explained "in show". If that happens, I would think that would be very weird because the simplest explanation should be it was the creators' or animators' choice to make his hair blue. Plain and simple. I would be good with that explanation. Yet if we have some dialogue within the show explaining his hair, that would just be strange in my book and most certainly won't add up with the original DBZ.
We're obviously talking about an In-universe explanation.

And I really don't know what's so fucking strange about saying in the show, "oh, Trunks just dyed his hair blue in honor of his mom" or something like that. But they just fucked everything up with the line bulma said in episode 48.

Maybe to some of you this is not a big deal, but personally, its really fucking bugging me. Maybe because i've always been a fan of Trunks's purple hair and i prefer that color than his blue hair.

But what bugs me the most is that they created a totally unnecesary plothole. A simple fucking explanation would suffice, but they fucked up and ruined the opportunity of fixing things, fucking it up even worse than it was before.
Last edited by Hit!! on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.