DB Super Stigma

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: DB Super Stigma

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
That is really unfair. It was one episode done by a dude who hasn't worked on an ep since. Episode 48 animations were awesome so why judge by one horrid episode. Ever had a bad day at work? What if your boss only judged you on that and none of the good...
Why judge by one horrid episode you say? Three reasons below why it's getting bashed

1) This is 2016, not 90s. No excuse for art and animation. Nobody accepts excuse

2) We have other anime with great animation like One Punch Man. Comparison hurts

3) We have internet now, unlike 90s. Critics are vocal, and they're right

We loved DBZ because it was new to us, we were kids and there was no criticism without internet. Super doesn't have those privileges and is compared to other anime (whether they're small or big in episodes). You might bring excuses about Super being a long show and strict schedule, but that doesn't matter a bit to viewers. Fact is, ep 5 and RoF did huge damage that might be impossible to fix unless Trunks Arc is extremely good. Too many good anime available nowadays to give Super a free pass, even if it's Dragon Ball.
A lot of animators barely make money and work on a bunch of shows at a time. Sometimes shows are only completed right before the episode is to air more or less. That episode was horrible I agree, absolutely terrible, butI like other things about the series so I wont let that one thing kill it in my eyes.

Just my two cents I respect your right to feel that way.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Why judge by one horrid episode you say? Three reasons below why it's getting bashed
1) This is 2016, not 90s. No excuse for art and animation. Nobody accepts excuse
2) We have other anime with great animation like One Punch Man. Comparison hurts
1. Nothing has changed about the core animation process, so anyone trying to shit out "it's current year, things should be better" have no clue what they're talking about.
2. One-Punch Man is a 12 episode long late-night series. It is a totally different production to a long-running anime, so that comparison is equally as asinine.
3. "Critics" are only right to the extent that Super has production issues. Their expectations and reasons are based on total misinformation.

Super is a troubled production, but keep your expectations within reason and actually aim your criticisms at the right people and for the right reasons. You aren't doing that right now.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:

We loved DBZ because it was new to us, we were kids and there was no criticism without internet.

You might bring excuses about Super being a long show and strict schedule, but that doesn't matter a bit to viewers.

Fact is, ep 5 and RoF did huge damage that might be impossible to fix unless Trunks Arc is extremely good.

Too many good anime available nowadays to give Super a free pass, even if it's Dragon Ball.
1- We never got anything that bad during the 90's, sure there were bad moments but not nearly an entire episode, especially the important ones. if they messed up any other episodes it probably wouldn't have been as bad but the 1st fight ? they couldn't have picked a worse episode to mess up.

2- It is a bit unfair to compare it to that but the studio also produced HXH which was also a long weekly anime and for the most part it was great.

3- The internet is a double edge sword, if something is good then everyone will know about it but if it's bad then more than everyone will know.

And there weren't many shows like it unlike now.

Especially viewers who pay up to 35$ for each set which only contain 12-13 episodes.

At this point being good won't be enough, it has to be a game changer and blow everyone away, if it's good it'll definitely help but it needs to be more to redeem this show.

It's not even holding up against its 25+ years old predecessor let alone current anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DB Super Orgasm

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 pm

DBZ is THE perfect series none can surpass it whoever says otherwise don't know what the fuck they're talking about... Super can lick my tip. :x
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Re: DB Super Orgasm

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Sonicjamareiz wrote:DBZ is THE perfect series none can surpass it whoever says otherwise don't know what the fuck they're talking about... Super can lick my tip. :x
Well, that was extremely blatant.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:19 pm

People wouldn't be mentioning animation a tenth as much. There would be like no stigma, because even now most people love the show.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:43 pm

I would bash it just as much as I do now, but maybe some people wouldn't, who knows.

The retellings -and the films- are not the problem, they're just a consequence of the actual issue.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:01 pm

kinisking wrote:Most people love the show.
That's kind of a strong word to use, maybe enjoy would be better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Ajay wrote: 1. Nothing has changed about the core animation process, so anyone trying to shit out "it's current year, things should be better" have no clue what they're talking about.
2. One-Punch Man is a 12 episode long late-night series. It is a totally different production to a long-running anime, so that comparison is equally as asinine.
3. "Critics" are only right to the extent that Super has production issues. Their expectations and reasons are based on total misinformation.

Super is a troubled production, but keep your expectations within reason and actually aim your criticisms at the right people and for the right reasons. You aren't doing that right now.
Super is shit production and no rubbish excuse is acceptable. Hunter X Hunter 2011 has 150 episodes and it's infinitely better than Super in art and animation. Viewers don't care about production, there are other long anime out there who get their job done.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ajay wrote: 1. Nothing has changed about the core animation process, so anyone trying to shit out "it's current year, things should be better" have no clue what they're talking about.

Super is shit production and no rubbish excuse is acceptable. Hunter X Hunter 2011 has 150 episodes and it's infinitely better than Super in art and animation. Viewers don't care about production, there are other long anime out there who get their job done.
Here is where you went wrong...
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
That is really unfair. It was one episode done by a dude who hasn't worked on an ep since. Episode 48 animations were awesome so why judge by one horrid episode. Ever had a bad day at work? What if your boss only judged you on that and none of the good...
Why judge by one horrid episode you say? Three reasons below why it's getting bashed

We loved DBZ because it was new to us, we were kids and there was no criticism without internet. Super doesn't have those privileges and is compared to other anime (whether they're small or big in episodes). You might bring excuses about Super being a long show and strict schedule, but that doesn't matter a bit to viewers. Fact is, ep 5 and RoF did huge damage that might be impossible to fix unless Trunks Arc is extremely good. Too many good anime available nowadays to give Super a free pass, even if it's Dragon Ball.

1 - I don't see how it's different now compare to back then. Some 90's anime had really awful animation like Psychic Wars (Produced by Toei when DBZ was still airing), Demon Beast Invasion, Gestalt, Ninja Resurrection, Chrono Trigger, Shuten Doji (release during the same year as DBZ), Garzey's Wing and many others. I know these anime are not big titles as DBZ, but my point is that I don't think things are any different now. You had people bitch about how something looked back then too.

2 - One Punch Man is a 12 episode series with a later time slot and different age market. One Punch Man is Seinen and Dragon Ball Super is not.

3 - Critics are always vocal even before this decade. They are not always right because people had different opinions. Roger Ebert give bad ratings for major movies like John Carpenter's The Thing and Fight Club while give good ratings to bad movies like The Mummy III. Having the Internet does not changed anything seeing that people would watch TV reviews and read reviews in the news paper for reviews on movies. Criticism always exist before the Internet as well. It's not like when the Internet was created, criticism and opinions was created.

The worldwide web has been around for over 25 years. You still had fans on the web too talking about the series and fighting over each other opinions back in the 90's. The Internet was much smaller and most people didn't have a computer during the 90's before it became a more common and faster during the early 2000's. Not to mention kids watching DBZ in 1996-1999 in the late 90's most likely didn't know how to use the Internet while kids in this decade can easily go on the Internet. They just watch TV and have no idea what will happen next back in 1999.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/