It Super targeted at a younger audience?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: It's Super targeted at a younger audience?

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:The Future Bulma Death footage was..weird, like she just slowly faded into the wind lol.
Maybe she faded into another timeline, he could've sent her somewhere with his ring.
I'd laugh if that was the case.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 pm

What is meant by younger audience? For the standard of where I live(US), Super would be rated for teens because of blood, dick jokes, saggy titties etc etc. Which is really kinda sounding like the first series, which somehow converted into DBZ as the story went on.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
I don't think it's that, One Piece is made to sell the manga and due to it being so big they follow it better.
One Piece has merchandise being sold to kids. You have backpacks, t-shirts, pajamas and other types of merchandise. Kids help these shows stay alive for a long time. Just like how shows like Naruto, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Pokemon and Precure still stay around. Even Naruto had happy meal toys too. Shows market to kids keep on going based on merchandise sales. While later night shows need the help from TV ratings and home video sales.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Muffin Man wrote:I think the issue is that AT is writing his story outlines with the same mindset and tone as always, but Toei is putting their own spin on it that gives it a feel closer to something like Yatterman.
That's why I wish he was more hands on with the overall writing cause you can tell with this arc especially that there's more then one main chef in the kitchen.

You have Toriyama's plot which is serious and Toei's added humor in-between which is ruining the flow of the story.

Hopefully we'll get a movie version of this alongside the Champa arc that follows his story more closely cause they said the tone in the movies won't be as light hearted as the show due to them being aimed at both kids and adults.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Sodhi wrote:What is meant by younger audience? For the standard of where I live(US), Super would be rated for teens because of blood, dick jokes, saggy titties etc etc.

Which is really kinda sounding like the first series, which somehow converted into DBZ as the story went on.
We've been talking about Japan's standards and for them Super is being written for a younger audience compared to the original.

In the US the only way to watch Kai (which has less blood then Z) is on a midnight block so Super will probably end up there as well which should give you an idea about what a joke the US TV standard is.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:57 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
The difference you see is that back in the day this demographic was allowed a bit more adult/crude humor as well as violence compared to these days.
At the same time I believe it's still written in a way that enjoyable for adults. I mean if its just for tiny kids how stupid are we that we cant figure out the plot? I can see what is about to happen in 90% of cartoons/anime these days fairly easily
Yes, good point.
And yes, indeed it's good scheduled, enough to create continual questions on our side. I think is one of the best point of the whole anime. Altough sometime we speculate too much on future outcomes XD.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:One Piece has merchandise being sold to kids.
I know that but they're also trying to sell the manga so they're going to keep it close to it to encourage people to buy it.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Dragon Ball always had the same target audience. Back in the day we could get away with some scenes with violence in it, nowadays is completely different. Parents will get upset if their kids watch a show like that and most studios don't want this kinda of problems. We're all grown ups watching a show that's not target to us, unfornately.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 am

Same target audience; completely different direction.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:07 am

I think the difference is now we're all adults whereas when we all first experienced DBZ we were kids and teenagers. So back then characters dying and being beaten up felt "adult" because that's not something seen in other cartoons airing for kids at least in the U.S.

Now as adults the series feels like its for kids because we've experienced adult-centric shows that deal with deeper themes, violence, story arcs, etc. I think its just we all got old and became adults.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 am

I generally think so... GT was aimed at a younger audience than DB and Z so Super being the same is out of the equation. Constant (rather childish) jokes/gags, simplified characterization, lack of violence, and lack of heavy-hitting themes suggests this.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 am

Goku did literally stop a fight because his opponent wasn't allowed to kill him. Thats at least kinda adult :lol:
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:45 am

Avok wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Avok wrote:Super is more close to something like Yatterman than something that runs in Shonen Jump.
Does Yatterman feature characters being brutally murdered onscreen, characters suffering from PTSD and mass genocide?
Yes.
Is it played for laughs?

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

precita wrote:I think the difference is now we're all adults whereas when we all first experienced DBZ we were kids and teenagers. So back then characters dying and being beaten up felt "adult" because that's not something seen in other cartoons airing for kids at least in the U.S.

Now as adults the series feels like its for kids because we've experienced adult-centric shows that deal with deeper themes, violence, story arcs, etc. I think its just we all got old and became adults.
I hear where you're coming from, but DBZ definitely had a much more serious tone compared to DBS. Think back to how Frieza was shown killing Namekians in cold blood, even killing a small child. Then there was the scene where Frieza mercilessly beat Vegeta after he thought he reached the level of Super Saiyan. Man, that was one of the toughest beat downs in anime history. (Also during that scene, Frieza was shown licking Vegeta's blood and eating a crab raw, like a wild animal) I could go on and on, 18 breaking Vegeta's arm, Cell breaking Piccolo's neck and blowing a hole in his side, we've seen nothing that comes close to any of those scenes in Super.

Super has tough themes in it and people die, however its not handled in a manner that feels realistic for the characters going through them. Trunks just witnessed his mother and girlfriend die, yet he's talking and having a good time with the characters in the present. By the way, the last time people died in Trunks future, they stayed dead. So for all he knows right now, his mother and girlfriend are going to stay dead. So he's completely on his own now, yet he's still acting like "it is what it is"? In DBZ, Trunks went into fits of rage because he wanted to prevent the future from becoming destroyed again by the androids. I'm just not seeing this continuous anger in Super, and again he should be even angrier now that his loved ones are gone forever for all he knows. (Now I know a gag will be presented later with the dragon balls wishing them back, but he didn't do that after the Cell arc concerning those who died by the hands of the androids.)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:45 am

Trunks' emotions flipped on a dime back in the original run, as well. You went from his initial super-serious appearance to kill Freeza directly into smiles and sunshine and cupcakes (well, drinks) with the cast members before getting super serious with Goku's arrival. This happened time and time again while he was around.

Sure, the series' move from a Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. timeslot in the 80s and 90s to a Sundays at 9:00 a.m. timeslot in the 2010s affects what can and will be shown, but so has the entire shonen genre, as well, by and large (particularly in Shueisha's properties).

Time and time again the producers and their marketing partners literally spell out that the series is for young boys and if anyone else happens to like it, great. They need to pander to and engage the younger audience, because without an increased audience size that you can indoctrinate at a young age, all you're going to be doing is fighting a battle of attrition for the rest of your days (and that's a losing battle).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 am

VegettoEX wrote:Trunks' emotions flipped on a dime back in the original run, as well. You went from his initial super-serious appearance to kill Freeza directly into smiles and sunshine and cupcakes (well, drinks) with the cast members before getting super serious with Goku's arrival. This happened time and time again while he was around.

Sure, the series' move from a Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. timeslot in the 80s and 90s to a Sundays at 9:00 a.m. timeslot in the 2010s affects what can and will be shown, but so has the entire shonen genre, as well, by and large (particularly in Shueisha's properties).

Time and time again the producers and their marketing partners literally spell out that the series is for young boys and if anyone else happens to like it, great. They need to pander to and engage the younger audience, because without an increased audience size that you can indoctrinate at a young age, all you're going to be doing is fighting a battle of attrition for the rest of your days (and that's a losing battle).

In terms of Trunks in DBZ, in that scene he was meeting everyone for the first time. Plus in that time, Trunks thought he was changing his own future. I think it's okay for him to smile when he's meeting his father for the first time. In Super, it's just awkward to see tones change so quickly, and then tends to stay on the lighthearted side once it goes there. As you said, this could be the series really pandering to the youngest of viewers to make that money, but in all seriousness, Dragon Ball should be able to survive on name alone and not have to pander for money's sake.

Well, its safe to say this series will not surpass DBZ.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 pm

I can see why they want to put the series on Sunday morings since Kai seeing that it seems like the right time slot for kids to watch TV. I don't think most kids are still awake for most late night TV shows. With Sunday Morining shows, you can still get away with darker storylines. I mean some of the recent Kamen Rider shows got away with some dark and serious stuff like Kamen Rider Gaim. We still haven't seen the rest of the Future Trunks arc yet. So far, we are in the right track with the tone in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:We still haven't seen the rest of the Future Trunks arc yet. So far, we are in the right track with the tone in my opinion.
The tone is great, the problem is Toei messing it up every few minutes with "funny" Pilaf gags.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

sintzu wrote:The tone is great, the problem is Toei messing it up every few minutes with "funny" Pilaf gags.
Define "messing up." I'm enjoying it and them a lot.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:No. Dragon Ball's main target audience has always been young boys and that will never change.
I think he's saying that previously DBZ was made to be enjoyable even for teenagers, now the production is strictly aiming for kids only. Barely any blood, and way too bright like other kids cartoon
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.