Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:11 pm

ABED wrote:Agreed, for instance, if a plot thread is left dangling or a payoff isn't sufficiently setup, then it's objectively bad writing. Deus ex machina is also objectively bad, such as Goku losing the 22nd Budokai because he hit a car. Maybe someone can think of a reason why it make sense, but I can't
As Gokuu said, luck is also a factor in martial arts.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Pretentiousness and ignorance in fandom.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 pm

As Gokuu said, luck is also a factor in martial arts.
I think Muten Roshi said it, but that doesn't make for a good story. Goku took everything Tenshinhan has and he loses because of a random car?
It deoends on the exercution.
Deus ex machina is bad execution because it breaks the internal logic of the story and is contrived.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:51 pm

ABED wrote:I think Muten Roshi said it, but that doesn't make for a good story. Goku took everything Tenshinhan has and he loses because of a random car?
Pretty sure it was Gokuu. But anyway, I think it does make for a good story. Gokuu still put up a very close fight.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:25 pm

"This [inser name of fan/comic/animation/fic] is two hundred times better than Super!"

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Scarz wrote:"This [inser name of fan/comic/animation/fic] is two hundred times better than Super!"
I see people do that same thing with Star Wars fan projects and The Force Awakens. Like, yeah, you can say they're better if you want but how about an actual discussion? Some critique? No? Okay, then. Whatever. :roll:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Scarz wrote:"This [inser name of fan/comic/animation/fic] is two hundred times better than Super!"
Oh god, I ran into an instance of this recently that made me laugh (and cry).

It was a Saitama vs Goku fan animation and all of the comments were along the lines of, "Wow, they should hire you for Super!"

Every single bit of animation was traced from somewhere else -- Super included! How fans can be so blind baffles me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:32 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
ABED wrote:I think Muten Roshi said it, but that doesn't make for a good story. Goku took everything Tenshinhan has and he loses because of a random car?
Pretty sure it was Gokuu. But anyway, I think it does make for a good story. Gokuu still put up a very close fight.
It's not a good story because it's not connected to anything. It's not even thematically on point and doesn't lead to some grand lesson learned that anyone later applies.

I've looked at the manga and it was in fact Roshi who said luck is a part of one's strength.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Ajay wrote: Oh god, I ran into an instance of this recently that made me laugh (and cry).

It was a Saitama vs Goku fan animation and all of the comments were along the lines of, "Wow, they should hire you for Super!"

Every single bit of animation was traced from somewhere else -- Super included! How fans can be so blind baffles me.
Yeah that animation took some of the greatest cuts in Z and turned it into something........different :wtf:
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:46 pm

This happens everywhere, and it annoys me so much (especially regarding Whatculture).
What grinds my gears is modern Dub hate (Kai onward) comments in 2016
I mean if someone doesn't like something, they don't like it. Are you mad that people dislike the Funi dub post 2008 ?
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Why? I've never understood the frustration people have towards others that prefer some fan material to some official material.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:01 pm

The Scarzverse is better than Super.

:P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:03 pm

ABED wrote:
It's not a good story because it's not connected to anything. It's not even thematically on point and doesn't lead to some grand lesson learned that anyone later applies.

I've looked at the manga and it was in fact Roshi who said luck is a part of one's strength.
Maybe the point is that not everything has to have a grand moral.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:07 pm

That wasn't Toriyama's point, it's simply bad writing.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 pm

ABED wrote:That wasn't Toriyama's point, it's simply bad writing.
Or maybe unpredictability is refreshing?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Having Goku lose is plenty unpredictable, it's the method of arriving at that twist that's the problem.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Having Goku lose is plenty unpredictable, it's the method of arriving at that twist that's the problem.
Would you prefer if Tenshinhan had just fallen slower? That would be the exact same result but less interesting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:25 pm

I'll answer that in the Deus Ex Machina thread.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm

gogeta97 wrote:
Why? I've never understood the frustration people have towards others that prefer some fan material to some official material.
You can enjoy fan created content more than the official material. I've see it happen all the time. But some will go as far to compare the two on a level that's really absurd. They just let their personal bias against Super cloud their judgment. With dragon ball, I've seen a lot of fan created stuff that's certainly entertaining. But I can't compare it to a professionally produced series like Super.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
The Scarzverse is better than Super.

:P
Clearly the exception to the rule.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Ajay wrote:
Oh god, I ran into an instance of this recently that made me laugh (and cry).

Its kind of sad that, even that still looked better than most of Super's terrible fight choreography. I cant stand the wild flailing fist animations we get now.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.