Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:27 am

MCDaveG wrote:Almost everyone from the US staff. But I always kinda liked adult Gohan's voice :)
What grinds my gears is modern Dub hate (Kai onward) comments in 2016

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 am

- FUNI's DB fans especially the ignorant ones. These fans bash the Japanese cast without even watching the show.
- Vegeta/Blooma fangirls they lack common sense not all of them but most of them do.
- GT hate bandwagon
- Misinformation in the fanbase
- Gohan fans they really are becoming quite annoying now with their constant complaints.

- Travis

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 am

-The pretentious nature of hardcore sub fans who still shit all over the dub despite today's quality is completely uncalled for and reeks of snobbish elitism.

-Bashing someone for liking Faulconer.
-Bashing someone liking Kiluchi

On the other hand hardcore dub fans need to grow up and realize the old dub isn't as great as they say (this coming from a dub fan) and not throw childish insults at Nozawa or the JPN version in general.

-Spreading misinformation

In general, fans who think they have the right to bash other fans and their preferences, dictate what qualifies as a true fan, or think they're better than someone else because of a language preference

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 am

In on secret sub vs dub flame war thread.

jk jk jk.

What grinds my gears...

- Daizenshuu data books, never getting an official English translation and release.
- Funimation never including The History of Trunks and Bardock Father of Goku in their DVD movie box collection.
- No GT BluRay release yet.
- Scarcity of Dragon Boxes.
- Crushed Blacks
- Changing original aspect ratios
- Taking out the grain
- Western televised opening theme songs in DVD/ Blu ray releases not existing.
- Next episode previews, last time of dbz reviews, not on any funimation release.
- Recoloring

... honestly all I want from funimation is an untouched release of dbz exactly how it was originally broadcasted in the west.
...keep it uncut, devoid of censorship that might not have made it on air though.
...as a bonus throw in the ocean dub too since nostalgia.
Last edited by Ozotto on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 am

Ozotto wrote:In on secret sub vs dub flame war thread.

jk jk jk.

What grinds my gears...

- Daizenshuu data books, never getting an official English translation and release.
- Funimation never including The History of Trunks and Bardock Father of Goku in their DVD movie box collection.
- No GT BluRay release yet.
- Scarcity of Dragon Boxes.
- Crushed Blacks
- Changing original aspect ratios
- Taking out the grain
- Western televised opening theme songs in DVD/ Blu ray releases not existing.
- Next episode previews, last time of dbz reviews, not on any funimation release.
- Recoloring
m

I gotta add all this too. Lol

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 am

The entire god conception (yes, meaning Beerus, Whis, SSG/B, ect.) I was/am not a fan of it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 am

ryou766 wrote:The entire god conception (yes, meaning Beerus, Whis, SSG/B, ect.) I was/am not a fan of it.
I don't mind Beerus but he's way too OP but yeah God ki and SSJG is something I'm not a fan of either

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:47 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ryou766 wrote:The entire god conception (yes, meaning Beerus, Whis, SSG/B, ect.) I was/am not a fan of it.
I don't mind Beerus but he's way too OP but yeah God ki and SSJG is something I'm not a fan of either
It ruins the threat sensation we would normally get with Z.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:51 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Zarama's Design.
Actually Zarama is the creator of the Super Dragon Balls, not the Dragon itself.

What grinds my gears are people being overly complicated or not trying to open their minds to different viewpoints.

Super specifically:
Goku's stupidity
Lack of tension due to the presence of Whis and Beerus. I do wonder, what they are going to do in the forthcoming episodes with Beerus and Whis right there on the sidelines, when Goku fights Black like against Freeza.
Toei logic being prevalent
The manga not being weekly and in colours and officially CANON!!
Toriyama not responding to my stalker mails, notice me senpai!
Zuno not having an address, so I can finally get some answers to stuff in the Dragon Ball series and end a lot of debates...

Ok the last two were jokes..
or were they :twisted:
:lol:

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:25 am

successoroffate wrote: -GT is not canon.
I'm pretty sure it isn't though?

Anyways things that grind my gears are:
-Getting butthurt over dub/sub names. Whether it be King Kai or Kuririn it's really not a big deal. People can call the characters whatever they want.
-People who don't know what "animation" really is. That may sound a little odd, but what I mean is that I've seen quite a few people that call an awkward/shitty shot or pose "bad animation" when the character is barely moving, or just not at all. This is particularly annoying when people criticize inbetweens. Don't get me wrong, Super has many flaws, particularly in the visual department, but at if you're going to criticize something at least know what you're talking about.
-The obnoxious levels of snobbery, elitism and overall disdain towards dub fans. This one annoys me the most due to how frequently it happens on here and how insanely childish it is. I am fully aware that Funimation's original dubs, particularly Dragon Ball Z's, are very inaccurate and range from "meh" to "awful". I myself became a subbie in the past month or so and haven't looked back. However I still get sick of the people who act like they are "enlightened" for liking the sub or even worse the people who use "dub fans" as an insult and say "yeah it's usually the dub fans who say/do this thing I don't like". People need to fuck right off with this way of thinking. I've even seen people who act like sub fans or "victims" or a "persecuted group"(trust me I don't think that dub fans are these things either)which is an awfully entitled way of thinking. It's bizarre how hostile people can be towards people's opinions on how they watch a TV show. For a community that seems to try very hard to maintain a mostly mature and civil image, it's rather disheartening how frequently this happens.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 am

- Goku vs. Superman or any DBZ vs. any other powerful series. It's amazing and sad that some fans will waste so much time of their life just to go around to prove that Goku is stronger than everything in fiction and DB is unbeatable.

- Fans who have no respect to the Japanese version of the series. Liking the dub is fine and all, but trashing the Japanese version rudely feels wrong to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:14 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:The snobbery towards Faulconer Music being a preference for some people.
Was this directed at me? I feel like it might've been directed at me.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:01 am

Here are the things that grind my gears.

- Yamcha bashing and how the memes are everywhere
- How 98.9% of the Dragonball cast became irrelevant in Super, I miss them being relevant
- "POWOR LEVELS R MOAR IMPORTANT THAN ACTUAL CHARACTORRZ!!"
- Japanese Actor bashing (No need to bash Nozawa, people. She's like the ONLY Japanese Goku in my eyes, same with everyone else's Seiyuu)
- People ignoring the original DB series
- Chichi bashing (if that was your kid, you would worry about them that much too)
- "Nobody likes humans in DBZ, they're weak and useless lulz/Nobody chooses humans in Xenoverse, sorry Krillin/Other Anti-Earthling quote here"
- "Weak weak weak" when referring to Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Kuririn, I understand that they're "weak" compared to the Saiyans, Androids and Aliens but these guys can easilly knock us out with one finger.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:08 am

AnzuMazaki wrote: - People ignoring the original DB series
I've never got this. I understand if you prefer Z or OG DB isn't your cup of tea, I'm talking more about the people who just it write off as some non important nonsense, or people who just out right refuse to watch it. It's like, no it's almost half of the series, it's pretty necessary :lol: .
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 am

1. USELESS strength debates. I understand and sometimes also am interested in certain strength debates, but the ones that have no clear answer are annoying. Who cares if SSJ4 is stronger or weaker than SSG? Or if Yi Xing Long is stronger than Beerus? Don't get me started on the whole Superman vs Goku thing.

2. Canon debates/lists. No, I'm not saying that having these debates is a bad thing because the DB canon is confusing sometimes, but the people who go on and on about what's canon (or cannon) and what's not canon are missing the whole point. Toei and Toriyama do not care about canon, at least not at the level that fans do. So by sitting there and arguing whether the DBS manga or anime is canon, you're essentially arguing about something that will never have a clear answer. I would personally be very shocked if Toei or Toriyama released an official canon. And while we're on the whole DBS canon thing, people have started to make their own weird canons that include watching the movies then reading the manga, having some bizarre "canon" way to enjoy the new content. Just sit back and enjoy DB (or don't enjoy it, that's fine too).

3. The bandwagon effect. "Oh look guys, Krillin died! Lolowlosolollol." The amount of stupid "inside jokes" in this fanbase is starting to get absurd. Like, are these people not tired of the generic "Yamcha sucks," "Gokus a bad father," or "Krillin died" jokes? That's not the end of it, though. The worst bandwagon effect I have ever seen has to do with bashing the Japanese version. Now I understand that this can go both ways, but when you think about it, most sub fans have seen most of the series in both dub and sub, while 99% of dub fans who talk shit haven't seen anything subbed other than a few clips and, ironically, DBS. They see someone post something about the Japanese version and just copy-paste it to spite people. Throwing words like weaboo around when someone even mentions the sub is not uncommon. Thankfully this has started to calm down with the release of DBS, as most dub fans who watch it have started to appreciate the original more.

4. The Kai dub bashing. I understand that some people have a strong nostalgia towards the original Funimation dub, but some take it too far and shit talk the Kai dub for "reasons" that are completely illogical. Saying things like "the voice acting sucks," "it's censored," and "wherez mah Falconerz" are the main ones that get on my nerves. And then the worst part is when somebody is just getting into the fanbase and is asking how to watch the show, they just fill their heads with lies in order to convert them onto their side.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 am

Anything associated with Dragon Ball Abridged. I especially dislike it when people here act like it's an actual official dub and not of the same quality as any other fandub. It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:08 am

ABED wrote:Anything associated with Dragon Ball Abridged. I especially dislike it when people here act like it's an actual official dub and not of the same quality as any other fandub. It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
So, what you're saying is ''It's not funny, it's never been funny, it's never going to be funny!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:33 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:Almost everyone from the US staff. But I always kinda liked adult Gohan's voice :)
What grinds my gears is modern Dub hate (Kai onward) comments in 2016
Well, I am not a native english speaker and I just don't like the dub at all since my childhood. I grew up on the french, japanese and german versions and the english for me is too chewy and sounds to my ears like average action cartoon TV show.
As I aplaud the fact, that US is finally getting the more acurate treatment with the Kai dub, I just can't stand those actors in Dragon Ball at all.
And man, Sabat was awesome in Final Fantasy as Garland, but I can't stand to hear Vegeta's english grindy voice.

But I in fact saw parts of the new US dub and it's definitely miles better than what is on that Orange Brick release.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:38 am

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:Anything associated with Dragon Ball Abridged. I especially dislike it when people here act like it's an actual official dub and not of the same quality as any other fandub. It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
So, what you're saying is ''It's not funny, it's never been funny, it's never going to be funny!"
Not quite. It's true, but not exactly what I was saying. It bugs me whenever I see something like

Favorite Goku voice actor: Nozawa, Schemmel, Corlette, MasakoX.

One of these things is not like the others.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 am

ABED wrote:It's not funny, but the show is so popular and people are constantly quoting it that it makes me sad.
Why? Why does people enjoying something you don't upset you? That's a little ridiculous.

You also reminded me of another thing that grinds my gears and that's treating opinions like facts. That's fine that you don't like it and don't think it's funny but when you say "it's not a funny" like that's a factual statement it's a little obnoxious.
ABED wrote:It bugs me whenever I see something like

Favorite Goku voice actor: Nozawa, Schemmel, Corlette, MasakoX.

One of these things is not like the others.
I mean just because it's a fan dub portrayal doesn't mean it can't still be appreciated or loved. We are still just talking about the portrayal of a fictional character after all.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.