Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 01, 2024 10:16 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 amThe Blue Bricks seem out of print though. Glad I bought them at $20 a pop
Hmmm that's suspicious. I thought Crunchyroll wasn't going to care enough about original Dragon Ball to give it the reprint-with-our-own-branding treatment, but maybe now that's what they're planning, or perhaps they think anyone who wanted it already bought the Blue Bricks and if they didn't they should be subscribed to their streaming service.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 am It would be nice if Z got a decent affordable release. I found Steelbooks of seasons 6,8, and 9 at a used physical media store for like $17.50 each. Thought of picking them up and then hoping I can eventually find the rest of the sets but people are charging like $400 for season 1 online and I'm not holding my breath on a reprint from Crunchyroll
Yeah, the 30th anniversary discs seemed to be exclusive to the Collector's Edition and steelbooks in the US because for whatever reason Funimation thought for Dragon Ball Z specifically and no other shows the 4:3 aspect ratio should be a premium product and the merger did nothing to change their minds.

I guess if you don't mind how the 30th remaster looks as a lot of fans do, the Manga UK Blu-Rays are always an option. They have nice spine art, come with posters and art cards, are region A/B (so will work in US players) and have been on sale before and are likely to go on sale again at some point:

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 am

Can anyone confirm for me the quality of the Selecta Vision DBGT set?

I've heard it's essentially the Dragon Box transfer with the broadcast audio in a few episodes (by accident), but I'd just like to double-check instead of buying it blindly. Unable to find any solid info about it online, or videos of the set's transfer.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 am

BlueChi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 am Can anyone confirm for me the quality of the Selecta Vision DBGT set?

I've heard it's essentially the Dragon Box transfer with the broadcast audio in a few episodes (by accident), but I'd just like to double-check instead of buying it blindly. Unable to find any solid info about it online, or videos of the set's transfer.
I assume you mean the DVD set? Selecta Vision need to finish releasing Dragon Ball Z on Blu-Ray before they get to GT.

In relation to the transfer you'll find any release of GT from 2003 onwards looks a lot like the Dragon Boxes, if not indistinguishable (that includes Funimation's green bricks) because Pony Canyon transferred TOEI's film negatives for all the series and that was used as every distributor's standard master for GT. Any releases prior to that will look like the inferior TV master TOEI created in the 90s by transferring GT to videotape.

Episodes 9-16 have the high quality audio, but the remaining episodes in the set sound identical to the Dragon Boxes. Various reruns of GT on Animax, Tokyo MX and BS Fuji have used this audio from episodes 5 onward when TOEI switched to stereo but I'm not sure whether any Spanish channels aired GT with this audio or if Selecta Vision pulled it from those Japanese stations. TOEI seemingly forgot they had the original audio masters for GT as they didn't use it for the Dragon Boxes despite being able to provide it to broadcasters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu May 02, 2024 8:57 pm

I've recently been watching the Sandland series on Disney Plus, and loving it, discovering the new arc was anime only tore a new one to my heart tho, to know even after his passing Toriyama still manages to inspire and make me feel like a child again......

Man i can't wait for Db Daima to come
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun May 05, 2024 7:13 pm

I've seen a number of threads on this matter around here (including in this thread several years back) but I'm going to ask here instead of digging them up. I'm trying to rip my Dragon Boxes, but for some reason, sets 1-3 won't rip on any software I use (MakeMKV, Handbrake, even VLC has a hard time reading them). I've tried two different versions of DBox 1, neither works. It throws up a BUP offset error on MakeMKV and then usually just outputs one random episode off the disc. 4-7 work just fine, but that seems to be because those sets used Funimations newer style of "all the episodes in one long video file" file storage. The kicker is that I did a test rip of DBox 1 disc 1 a couple years back (along with an early model GT disc that used the same playlist style file structure) and it worked back then, so I have no idea what's going on now.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I've kinda hit my wits end at this point...