Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:56 pm

I would advise you to do it. It sounds unique enough and is not the jillionth power level thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:46 pm

Are the openings and endings cannon to the dragon ball timeline? And if they are where would they take place?
I feel like if that would take place. It would take place probably in between actual saga's like tiny little filler episodes.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:12 pm

That's a funny and interesting question
Imagine, if the first ending for DBZ was canon, everyone running around on a small planet while Piccolo junior flies close to them without causing any problems. Gohan going back in time to meet Goku and Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
Also, GT's 2nd ending, everyone walking and flying peacefully including Baby, that would never happen :lol:
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 pm

Is Kami in the english dub referred to as Kami or as god?

I'm asking this because in the latin dub, they refer to him as Kami, as if it's his name and not his title.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:23 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 pm Is Kami in the english dub referred to as Kami or as god?

I'm asking this because in the latin dub, they refer to him as Kami, as if it's his name and not his title.
They call him Kami. The American soccer moms of the 90s wouldn't have appreciated God being portrayed as a green alien thing. Same reason they changed Mr. Satan's name to Hercule. lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:40 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:23 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:11 pm Is Kami in the english dub referred to as Kami or as god?

They call him Kami. The American soccer moms of the 90s wouldn't have appreciated God being portrayed as a green alien thing. Same reason they changed Mr. Satan's name to Hercule. lol
Mr.Satan does keep his name in the uncut dub, though they also use Hercule a few times, it's only the edited dub where he's exclusively known as Hercule.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:23 pm

He's referred to as Kamisama. But not as in the honorific. Kamisama is his whole anime in the dub lol. Same fate for Kaio and Kaioshin.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:23 pm

He's referred to as Kamisama. But not as in the honorific. Kamisama is his whole anime in the dub lol. Same fate for Kaio and Kaioshin.
I wonder if that was due to Toei's questionable translations and the people at Cloverway/Intertrack just assumed Kamisama was his actual name?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:42 pm

Ironically earlier on the legend that God lived at the top of the Karin tower was kept intact. But when Kamisama appeared that became his name lol. Also, the dub acts as if "Kamisama" was someone of utmost importance and all characters knew he was DROP DEAD SERIOUS important just by hearing his name and the same goes for "PLATAFORMA CELESTE!?" which is a very obviously important to the characters but not the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ZrXbsjoM8

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:11 am

The NES Game Dragon Power Does anybody else think it's weird that most of the names were changed but they keep goku's name? , Bulma is renamed "Nora", Yamcha is renamed "Lancer", Oolong is renamed "Pudgy? The dragon balls were called the Crystal Balls and the kamahameha was called the Wind Wave. The dragon balls being
Called the Crystal Balls isn't that off because sometimes in the big green dub they call it that. And wind wave was used Dragon Ball Evolution sooo yeah

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:32 am

The Dragon Radar kept its name lol.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:15 am

I love how stern of a father Goku is in the Toei movies. Telling Gohan in the Bojack film to "stop being a pampered baby" and asking Goten and Gohan in the Broly movie "can't you protect the Earth if I'm not around?"

He's not exactly a soft pushover of a father in Toriyama's Dragon Ball either but I don't think any of his scenes besides teaching the kids fusion showcases his stern and strict side quite as well.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:15 am I love how stern of a father Goku is in the Toei movies. Telling Gohan in the Bojack film to "stop being a pampered baby" and asking Goten and Gohan in the Broly movie "can't you protect the Earth if I'm not around?"

He's not exactly a soft pushover of a father in Toriyama's Dragon Ball either but I don't think any of his scenes besides teaching the kids fusion showcases his stern and strict side quite as well.
Well, Toriyama's Goku is usually dead or training off world. He doesn't really do much fathering at all, hence the common half-joke that Piccolo is Gohan's real dad. What we got in Super hasn't helped his image as a father either. They make it clear that unless his kids are in danger or can train with him, he's happy to leave the parenting to Chichi. Meanwhile, Vegeta's fighting against his own nature to be a better husband and father.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 am
Yuji wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:15 am I love how stern of a father Goku is in the Toei movies. Telling Gohan in the Bojack film to "stop being a pampered baby" and asking Goten and Gohan in the Broly movie "can't you protect the Earth if I'm not around?"

Well, Toriyama's Goku is usually dead or training off world. He doesn't really do much fathering at all, hence the common half-joke that Piccolo is Gohan's real dad. What we got in Super hasn't helped his image as a father either. They make it clear that unless his kids are in danger or can train with him, he's happy to leave the parenting to Chichi. Meanwhile, Vegeta's fighting against his own nature to be a better husband and father.
Saiyan Males by nature do not nurture their children. Vegeta also didn't start doing stuff outside of training with his kids until DBS and it started with taking Trunks to the fair which he still didn't want to do but he kept his word. The true start of him being a nurturing father is when he found out Bulma was pregnant again. He didn't want to leave Earth for long and he also made an effort to learn how to wrap diapers and everything. Goku before Gohan turned 4 was kind of like that too, he had Gohan with him everywhere.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:25 pm

Today I learned:
Circa 1992.

An early rough sketch of what ended up becoming Super Vegeta from when he fought Second Form Cell. If you look closely, you can see Akira Toriyama's notes of ideas for names like "Saiyan Limit" and "Saiyan Z".
Source: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_2428.html

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:01 pm

https://archive.org/download/ikaos-som- ... 0Promo.mp4

Explain how in this BLT promo at the beginning. We get to see goku watching some Animal singing, but if you go closer into it actually came from dragon ball z dead zone, so was goku watching dead zone this whole time. Was he watching his son get drunk?

I know it's just a promo, But I think it's weird that out of all things they could of used. They used something from a movie that hasn't even been dubbed yet.

Now thinking about it technically blt was the first company who technically dubbed dead zone

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:49 pm

OMG It even has the affiliate put in1

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:33 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:01 pmNow thinking about it technically blt was the first company who technically dubbed dead zone
BLT Productions did provide post-production services for Funimation's first dub, but I don't think they were the de facto producer, that would be Funimation themselves.

We don't know much about Funimation's first attempt at Dead Zone (which is known as the "Vendar Dub") but it was likely arranged in a similar fashion to the 1994/1995 Dragon Ball dub (recorded at Dick & Rogers Studio, Josanne B Lovick Productions signing paychecks and handling the unions, Peter Berring score, etc).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:56 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:01 pm https://archive.org/download/ikaos-som- ... 0Promo.mp4

Explain how in this BLT promo at the beginning. We get to see goku watching some Animal singing, but if you go closer into it actually came from dragon ball z dead zone, so was goku watching dead zone this whole time. Was he watching his son get drunk?

I know it's just a promo, But I think it's weird that out of all things they could of used. They used something from a movie that hasn't even been dubbed yet.

Now thinking about it technically blt was the first company who technically dubbed dead zone
I don't think it's deeper than "Funimation took a clip from a movie they had the rights to out of context to present a saccharine show that isn't as cool and action packed as Dragon Ball" at this point they probably also assumed they had to dub all of Dragon Ball before getting to Z (Fukanaga infamously had to beg Toei to let them just do Z after the first thirteen underperformed) so the marketing team probably figured they wouldn't even get to that movie until closer to the year 2000 anyways

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:21 pm

I love how completely shamelessly Funimation stabbed OG Dragon Ball in the back.