So Tenshinhan is the only male not paired up with a woman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So Tenshinhan is the only male not paired up with a woman

Post by precita » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Now that Future Trunks is paired with Mai, all the adult male DBZ characters who could be paired up have been except Tenshinhan. Yamcha at least had Bulma at the start of the series, and Piccolo is asexual.

The thing is Launch had an obvious crush on Tenshinhan at the end of Dragonball, but since her character disappeared it went nowhere. Do you think Tenshinhan would have wound up with Launch had Toriyama remembered her character?

Or are Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu in an ambiguous gay relationship? Discuss.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So Tenshinhan is the only male not paired up with a woma

Post by B » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Toriyama outlined, albeit off-the-cuff, that Tenshinhan has no interest in Lunch, though she will occasionally visit him and Chaozu on their farm. Going by that, I'd assume they are at least cordial and polite with each other?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:50 pm

precita wrote:Are Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu in an ambiguous gay relationship ?
That's the creepiest thing I've read all year.

Tien never seemed interested in relationships, he was kind of like Piccolo and preferred to be alone.

At the end of the Cell arc he told everyone it would be the last time they'd see each other for no reason which indicates that he doesn't like being around anyone.

It's a shame we didn't get a special about him that explored his life before meeting the crane hermit.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Tenshinhan doesn't need or want love. That's okay, he's still ten-times the man most anyone in reality is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Are Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu in an ambiguous gay relationship ?
That's the creepiest thing I've read all year.
Why? It's certainly a possibility. Although, their relationship always struck me more and brotherly than anything else.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Zephyr wrote:Why ?

You seriously don't see anything wrong with that ?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:15 pm

sintzu wrote:At the end of the Cell arc he told everyone it would be the last time they'd see each other for no reason which indicates that he doesn't like being around anyone.
Ten's main motivating factor was always Goku. He always seemed like he was hanging around the group primarily because of his relationship/rivalry with Goku and desire to genuinely surpass him. Ten seemed to look to Goku as an ideal of a perfect martial artist to try and live up to. After Goku died seemingly for good, Ten saw no reason to continue socializing with other fighters who weren't the embodiment of the ideal he was striving to achieve, thus retreating into seclusion. For awhile anyway.
sintzu wrote:It's a shame we didn't get a special about him that explored his life before meeting the crane hermit.
I'd have dug that. Closest we get is an anime-only flashback in the 23rd Budokai of him being trained as a child by Tao Pai Pai and Tsurusennin.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Chaozu is 26 and Tenshinhan is 31 in that screengrab posted above, FYI.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Ten's main motivating factor was always Goku.
I know but saying he would NEVER see them again was a bit much, Vegeta is more separated from the group and more obsessed with Goku and he didn't say anything like that.
B wrote:Chaozu is 26 and Tenshinhan is 31 in that screengrab posted above, FYI.
Chaozu is barely the size of his fist so it's messed up no matter how old they are.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Why ?

You seriously don't see anything wrong with that ?
You're aware that Chaozu is an adult, right?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Zephyr wrote:You're aware that Chaozu is an adult, right?
You're aware he looks like a 4 year old right ?

Someone who looks like a 4 year old being in a relationship with a 30 year old is messed up, I get you and others want to be as politically correct as possible but come on, can you really tell someone with a straight face that that's OK ?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:31 pm

sintzu wrote:

Someone who looks like a 4 year old being in a relationship with a 30 year old is messed up, I get you and others want to be as politically correct as possible but come on, can you really tell someone with a straight face that that's OK ?
Given we all seem to be able to tell the difference between fiction and reality to a higher degree than you, I guess so?

We're talking about a fictional character potentially being in a homosexual relationship that doesn't actually exist within official projects for the series. Let's have a little more perspective here.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 pm

sintzu wrote:

Uh...yes. Yes I can.

If two people are consenting adults, then who the hell cares 'what it looks like'? To try and tell them otherwise is to try and control their right to their own lives, and that's what's really 'f-ed up' if you ask me. If two people are both of a consenting age and are both into each other, then I don't care if one is a 9 ft 10 black woman that looks like she's 80 (or even is 80) and the other is a 4 ft 3 white guy that was born a girl and only looks like he is (or actually is in) his 20's - it's legal, it's their lives, it's their business. Doesn't matter how it 'looks' to outsiders. End of story.

Now, actually on the subject of Tenshinhan and Chaozu proper, I've never really viewed them as a couple myself, but if they were then it'd be an interesting case of like the only not-played-for-a-joke gay character in the series. So in that light I'd find it pretty interesting to learn that was the case. Personally though, I always did kind of ship him with Lunch, despite how poorly it seems to have all worked out.
Kunzait_83 wrote:
sintzu wrote:It's a shame we didn't get a special about him that explored his life before meeting the crane hermit.
I'd have dug that. Closest we get is an anime-only flashback in the 23rd Budokai of him being trained as a child by Tao Pai Pai and Tsurusennin.
It's stuff like that that makes me wish we could get yearly TV specials dedicated to character back histories. C'mon Toriyama, Toei...you know you want to.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:We're talking about a fictional character potentially being in a homosexual relationship...
With someone who looks like he's 4.

Fictional or not, that's messed up.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:It's stuff like that that makes me wish we could get yearly TV specials dedicated to character back histories. C'mon Toriyama, Toei...you know you want to.
Their current writing style would mess them up.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 pm

sintzu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:We're talking about a fictional character potentially being in a homosexual relationship...

Why is it messed up though? Chaozu isn't actually four. Tenshinhan knows he's not four. Hell, they've both known each other since they were both kids, or at least since they were far younger. So any attraction that potentially formed would be based on liking each other, not Ten going 'Oh man, this guy looks like he's four, that's so hot!', if that's what you're potentially getting at.
Their current writing style would mess them up.
It might not be what would please everyone, but at the same time, who knows, they might be. Anything set that far back in the timeline would certainly feel at home being pretty goofy and fun-loving.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:50 pm

sintzu wrote:You're aware he looks like a 4 year old right ?
He doesn't look like any 4 year old I've ever seen. He's small, that's it.
sintzu wrote:Someone who looks like a 4 year old being in a relationship with a 30 year old is messed up
It doesn't matter what he looks like. He's 26 years old.
sintzu wrote:can you really tell someone with a straight face that that's OK ?
Are you insinuating that telling someone that a 26 year old man is free to be in a relationship would be difficult?
sintzu wrote:I get you and others want to be as politically correct as possible but come on
This has nothing to with political correctness. Political correctness bemoans people saying hurtful things, or phrasing touchy topics in ways that hurt peoples' feelings.

You're pretty much saying that a legal adult should be barred from engaging in actions granted to legal adults, because of the way he looks. This isn't about political correctness, it's about basic rights. Which is something that people on the side of the aisle opposite to those who typically complain about "politically incorrect" things tend to gravitate toward defending. Which makes this even more odd. Odd to the point where, when considered in tandem with your past experiences voicing "controversial opinions" here, there are only two explanations I can even fathom:

1. You're posting what's on your mind without putting any thought into it (indicated by your inability to form an actual complete argument).
2. You're posting things that are contrary to what you actually believe, for the sake of trolling.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:52 pm

sintzu wrote:

No more than anything else that happens in this series. My God, the main character allows genocidal maniacs live just so he can fight them again, paying no mind to how many innocent lives are lost in the process. Why would you even read or watch a series with a main character like that?
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Anything set that far back in the timeline would certainly feel at home being pretty goofy and fun-loving.
Tien is a serious character with a somewhat dark past, he was trained to be a killer and probably killed a lot of people which are things that would clash with their goofy writing.

And even if they did do something they'd probably change his backstory to something more light hearted which it wasn't based on what we know about it.
Zephyr wrote:Are you insinuating that telling someone that a 26 year old man is free to be in a relationship would be difficult ?
If that 26 year old has the size and looks of a 4,5 or 6 year old then yes.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 pm

sintzu wrote:If that 26 year old has the size and looks of a 4,5 or 6 year old then yes.
Why? He's a legal adult. A short legal adult. He's a dwarf, a midget, whatever you want to call him.

Are you saying that adult dwarfs shouldn't have the same rights as adults of normal height?

I'm not personally bothered at all by your conclusion, I'm just wondering if you have any support for it, or are willing to accept other possible ramifications of it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Going by DBS and ignoring GT There's Goten, he's not paired with a girl yet.

If/When he does I say Marron.