Hello! Does anyone know French?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Hello! Does anyone know French?

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Me and LittleNeko23 are making an Audio Drama adaptation of the DBM Novelization. However, instead of using the dry, poorly translated script that's currently on the site, we're localizing the dialogue so that it sounds more natural in English. But I ran into a particularly tricky chapter, Chapter 4 Part 1:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en ... er-16.html

A lot of the dialogue here is so stilted, that I have trouble figuring out what the characters are trying to say sometimes. I took my best guess when I wrote up my version of the script, but, I'm not totally confident I got it all accurate. For example, there's this one conversation here...

In Universe 8's wing, as Freeza raged inwardly, Coola approached him with a hand on his shoulder. To Freeza's surprise, he thought his brother came to boost his morale. Pfft, what an idea!
"Haha! The Legendary Ginyu Force is just too strong! HA! They all lost, and so quickly!"
"Coola, stop bothering your brother," King Cold intervened before the fighting escalated.
"We'll see how well you minions will do," retorted Freeza looking at Sauza who was standing right behind Coola. "And we'll see how you'll do, yourself!"
"I am under no illusion, I..."

Which I localized as...
Cooler: Haha! Another stunning performance by the "Legendary" Ginyu Force! They all lost; and so quickly!"

King Cold: "Cooler, stop antagonizing your brother..."

Freeza: "Let's just see how well your minions do! And you, of course!"

Cooler: "Dear brother, there is not a doubt in my mind as to the answer to THAT que- "
But, I don't even know exactly WHAT Cooler was trying to say in those two lines. And then there's this brief exchange between Raditz and Nappa during the "Recoome vs. Nail" match...

In Universe 13's wing, a Bald Saiyan was carefully observing the fight. At the start of the fight, he had let it slip that he wanted the tall one to be eliminated. He then grinned when Nail was struck by Reacum's kick.
Vegeta, turning his head towards his great friend, challenged him. "Well, it seems that Reacum is stronger than that Namek."
"Well, if that's true then Nail is much weaker than that Caracagot thing," Nappa replied simply.
"Even if, by some chance, you both faced a Namek in the first round," Raditz intervened, "it's unfortunate that
you won't meet in the tournament. We'd be able to see who's the best out of you two and maybe you'd have kicked his ass like he kicked yours at the time."

Narrator: In Universe 13's wing, a Bald Saiyan was carefully observing the fight. At the start of the fight, he had let it slip that he wanted the tall one to be eliminated. He then grinned when Nail was struck by Reacum's kick.

Prince Vegeta: "My, it seems that Reacum is stronger than that Namek."

Nappa: "Then Nail's just that much weaker than that Cargot thing."

Raditz: "Hmph. It's too bad you and Recoome won't get your rematch, even if you two did happen to get a Namek. We would've finally known which of you two was better. Who knows? Maybe you would have kicked his ass like he did yours that one time.
I don't know if anyone here knows French, but if you do, would you mind looking whatever other troublesome passages me and LittleNeko23 run into? Thank you so much, and God bless you all!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".