Growing up with Dragonball/Toonami.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Growing up with Dragonball/Toonami.

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Who remembers growing up with dragonball on toonami? Sure the new generation has the new toonami with kai, I hope they enjoy it, but NOTHIGN compares to the rush you'd get from a new episode of ball/Z/GT with toonami. (Nobody will probably know this here but......) I remember this old cartoonnetwork.com game called ORBIT and there were these c-toons and G-toons you'd get. Man collecting the dragonball c-toons and g-toons was great! They'd have codes shown during the commercials of toonami and cartoon cartoon Fridays. Even when draognball wasn't on you'd possibly get a free dragonball ctoon to post on your cartoon virtual hangout! Good times.

Anyone got nostalgic dragonball memories form the dragonball toonami era? From the start with the ocean dub to the final episode of GT! Post fond memories here. :D

And for those wounderign what c-toons were-

Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Growing up with Dragonball/Toonami.

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Oh yeah! I remember trying to trade for the Dragonball ones were just a nightmare. You would offer someone like half of your stuff and he still wouldn't trade that 1 stupid picture! :lol: I felt awesome though when I did finely start getting some of them. Ya know I actually wished I would have had enough commonsense to snapshot all of my backgrounds with them on it just to look back at em one day but as the song goes...You don't know what you got till it's gone is so true. :(
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Does currently growing up with Kai on Toonami count? I also watched the Coola movie when they played it on there 2 years ago. I wasn't old enough to grow up with the previous broadcasts of DB, Z, and GT.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Oh those were the days; the type of stuff that made me hurry home. I remember they'd run two back-to-back episodes (I could swear it was from 4-5). Then at some point they did Dragon Ball after Z (DBZ would be 4-5 and DB would be 5-6). Strange? Sure. But it was okay lol Then when Toonami Midnight Run came out, it felt like I was doing something so cool staying up until midnight to watch. I'll never forget how they had their own little stories like the invasion on the spaceship and the Tom redesign and whatnot. I go back to the days of Moltar being the host. The custom intros and "eye-catchers" were great. Then in the mid-2000's I saw Toonami for the first time in years with this weird, round Tom and whatnot and it just made me sad lol

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:16 pm

I got into Dragon Ball later in my childhood than most people did. So around early 2001, I got into DBZ and I did enjoy watching it when I would come home from school. I also remember the C-toons as well and it was cool having a big display of stickers on the website. I did watch Toonami before I was a fan of Dragon Ball and I did enjoy watching the other shows on the line up. I remember when they used to play a bunch of old 60's and 80's TV shows like Johnny Quest, ThunderCats, Voltron and Robotech.

I give Toonami credit for making Dragon Ball more popular. I don't like how Toonami is view as the first anime block on TV. Does anyone remember the old days of Sci-Fi channel when they had anime in the 90's. Also Encore Action as well (I used to get Sci-Fi and Encore mixed up growing up). My favorite moment with Toonami for me was the News Years Evil thing that they did like 15 something years ago. I also love the Midnight Run and seeing the uncut episode of SSj2 Gohan killing the Cell Jr's. That episode made me into the DB fan that I'm today.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Oh yeah! I remember trying to trade for the Dragonball ones were just a nightmare. You would offer someone like half of your stuff and he still wouldn't trade that 1 stupid picture! :lol: I felt awesome though when I did finely start getting some of them. Ya know I actually wished I would have had enough commonsense to snapshot all of my backgrounds with them on it just to look back at em one day but as the song goes...You don't know what you got till it's gone is so true. :(
I swear db is the only thing besides cow and chicken to make me give up the ed edd n eddy ctoons! Also I find your signature fitting seeing as this is a toonami appreciation thread :D
TheGreatness25 wrote:Oh those were the days; the type of stuff that made me hurry home. I remember they'd run two back-to-back episodes (I could swear it was from 4-5). Then at some point they did Dragon Ball after Z (DBZ would be 4-5 and DB would be 5-6). Strange? Sure. But it was okay lol Then when Toonami Midnight Run came out, it felt like I was doing something so cool staying up until midnight to watch. I'll never forget how they had their own little stories like the invasion on the spaceship and the Tom redesign and whatnot. I go back to the days of Moltar being the host. The custom intros and "eye-catchers" were great. Then in the mid-2000's I saw Toonami for the first time in years with this weird, round Tom and whatnot and it just made me sad lol
I know right?! I love the 61 million fans promo. back at the height of the franchise! and the ones with majin buu were great, even better then most of the other perfect ones. I mean when you have PETER COLLINS narrating your promo, you know you made Vegeta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7hxwSKXY_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6l_wCUNEc
Bansho64 wrote:Does currently growing up with Kai on Toonami count? I also watched the Coola movie when they played it on there 2 years ago. I wasn't old enough to grow up with the previous broadcasts of DB, Z, and GT.
Honestly I was talking about the old run of toonami, but you're a fellow dragonball fan, and you're watching it on toonami, I see no reason you can't join in the merriment :)
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 am

I remember C-Toons. I had Dexter from Dexter's Lab and Pikkon (got him by entering a code, which was "Pikkon").
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:48 am

If someone can put Cartoon Network in a time machine and make it like it was back in the day, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't want to go back to being a kid, but man, the early 2000's banged out some seriously entertaining things on TV that I feel are missing. Boomerang was awesome up until they started putting things like "Foster's Home" and whatnot on it. I really loved being able to watch Flintstones, Jonny Quest, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, all that on Boomerang... Now it's a bunch of shows that came out when I was already too old to care. I guess Netflix and Hulu it is.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:07 pm

I share some of Hellspawn28's experiences with Toonami and getting into it much later than the rest.

It's mostly because I was already a fan of Dragon Ball before the Era of Toonami. The only problem was that I had to wait months when summer or winter started so that I could leave the country and visit my extended family and see Dragon Ball on television, albeit in a different language other than English or Japanese.

Despite seeing the commercials Toonami put out about Dragon Ball Z (Midnight Run, Rising Sun, Tree of Might) I didn't even see the English version until I was in Fifth Grade when I flipped through the channels and saw some DBZ episodes that I never saw before (in this case, it was the entire Saiyan and Frieza saga. :P ).

It still sucks that I never got to see the Cell saga during its Original American Broadcast. :(

I'm glad I grew up on Toonami and got to see other anime that it aired.

Does anyone remember that old commercial about Cartoon Network's website and having some guy dressed up in a Mouse clicker suit? There was a scene where someone tells the guy to make Goku and Vegeta (in suits) fight and when he "clicks" on them, they start chasing him? That was some funny stuff.

Anyone else remember two fan-made(?) DBZ games that were set on Namek? One was a guessing game where you used energy attacks and movements to try and get rid of the other players. The other was when you had Goku, Vegeta, and Future Trunks as Super Saiyans trying to save planet Namek from being destroyed by the Ginyu Force.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I did watch Toonami before I was a fan of Dragon Ball and I did enjoy watching the other shows on the line up. I remember when they used to play a bunch of old 60's and 80's TV shows like Johnny Quest, ThunderCats, Voltron and Robotech.

I give Toonami credit for making Dragon Ball more popular. I don't like how Toonami is view as the first anime block on TV. Does anyone remember the old days of Sci-Fi channel when they had anime in the 90's.
Ah yes, I also fondly remember the old Sci-Fi "Saturday Anime" block. It aired right after Mystery Science Theater 3000. That's how I managed to catch and record many classics such as Galaxy Express 999, Project A-Ko, and Iria. If I'm not mistaken, Toonami started more or less around the same time (mid-to-late 90's), to which I was able to discover my favorite anime of all time: Macross (ala Robotech). Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon started airing about a year or two into the block's run, and thus its viewership and popularity skyrocketed.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

404FILENOTFOUND
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 404FILENOTFOUND » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:38 am

Oh jeez, I remember orbit. I had one of the animated DBZ ones of Goku or Yamcha, can't remember, that shot out a ki blast that was based off the burger king toy (?). And if I recall correctly I might have had a SSJ Goku stucker or a Gogeta one, its been so long and I already have enough trouble remembering my early younger days. I was obsessed with the TV one with the chicken for some reason.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I share some of Hellspawn28's experiences with Toonami and getting into it much later than the rest.

It's mostly because I was already a fan of Dragon Ball before the Era of Toonami. The only problem was that I had to wait months when summer or winter started so that I could leave the country and visit my extended family and see Dragon Ball on television, albeit in a different language other than English or Japanese.

Despite seeing the commercials Toonami put out about Dragon Ball Z (Midnight Run, Rising Sun, Tree of Might) I didn't even see the English version until I was in Fifth Grade when I flipped through the channels and saw some DBZ episodes that I never saw before (in this case, it was the entire Saiyan and Frieza saga. :P ).

It still sucks that I never got to see the Cell saga during its Original American Broadcast. :(

Does anyone remember that old commercial about Cartoon Network's website and having some guy dressed up in a Mouse clicker suit? There was a scene where someone tells the guy to make Goku and Vegeta (in suits) fight and when he "clicks" on them, they start chasing him? That was some funny stuff.

Anyone else remember two fan-made(?) DBZ games that were set on Namek? One was a guessing game where you used energy attacks and movements to try and get rid of the other players. The other was when you had Goku, Vegeta, and Future Trunks as Super Saiyans trying to save planet Namek from being destroyed by the Ginyu Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01JN-KT63o

Yep. It's funny as hell.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 pm

The Dragon Ball Toonami's days were so nostalgic for me always staying up late at night to watch the next action packed episode of DBZ, Naruto, Zatchbell, and another anime can't remember the name. I really miss those days back when CN was actually good and filled with great cartoons and anime, with those enticing promos for each show.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:42 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:I share some of Hellspawn28's experiences with Toonami and getting into it much later than the rest.

Yep. It's funny as hell.
You are now one my favorite posters on here.

I've been trying to search for this commercial for years!
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:

Yep. It's funny as hell.
You are now one my favorite posters on here.

I've been trying to search for this commercial for years!
Glad I could help :) I'm a 90's kid. When I see a fellow DBZ fan who grew up with the real cartoon network (the one with actual cartoons) and toonami, I gotta help. I'm actually a junkie of the old nostalgic cartoon network so if you think of another promo/commercial bumper from back then, don't hesitate to ask me about it. I know this stuff like the back of my hand. You wouldn't believe how much people post that old stuff online. Literal HOURS of it posted into single videos. it's so damn nostalgic.