Uub's Name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dorexx
Regular

Uub's Name

Post by Dorexx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:07 pm

How did he get to be called "Buu" backwards? Did his parents know about Majin Buu? Did Enma tell them to call him that to make it easier for Goku to find him? Did Goku?
酷签名

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Uub's Name

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Why does it have to be some special reason? Maybe his parents just liked the name.

The real reason that Toriyama named him Oob, as we already know, is because it's the reverse of Boo.

Cosmic balance?
Retired.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Well, when you think about it that way, you've gotta wonder how in the heck most of the characters got their 'pun' based names from their parents. DB world's naming logic would be pretty weird for anyone coming into it from a place with normal names, that's for sure. So realistically, I'd imagine it was just kind of a 'What do we name our son?' 'Hmm...he looks like an Uub to me.' deal, the same way people ended up with names like Kuririn, or Bulma, or the like.

As far as his parents knowing about Buu goes though, I'd imagine they probably did, at least to the same level that just about everyone else on Earth knew about him. Babidi did speak to a good number of them and show off Buu to them, not to mention when Buu kills everyone off only for them to be resurrected later and spoken to in the same manner by Vegeta, Goku, and finally Mr. Satan, asking for help to kill Buu. I doubt they ever knew that their child was Buu reborn though, especially not at first. Uub certainly didn't seem to know, even in GT.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Well, when you think about it that way, you've gotta wonder how in the heck most of the characters got their 'pun' based names from their parents. DB world's naming logic would be pretty weird for anyone coming into it from a place with normal names, that's for sure. So realistically, I'd imagine it was just kind of a 'What do we name our son?' 'Hmm...he looks like an Uub to me.' deal, the same way people ended up with names like Kuririn, or Bulma, or the like.

As far as his parents knowing about Buu goes though, I'd imagine they probably did, at least to the same level that just about everyone else on Earth knew about him. Babidi did speak to a good number of them and show off Buu to them, not to mention when Buu kills everyone off only for them to be resurrected later and spoken to in the same manner by Vegeta, Goku, and finally Mr. Satan, asking for help to kill Buu. I doubt they ever knew that their child was Buu reborn though, especially not at first. Uub certainly didn't seem to know, even in GT.
But didn't they wish for the people of earth to forget about Buu?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:27 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:But didn't they wish for the people of earth to forget about Buu?
What does that have to do with anything? He said that they probably didn't know.
Retired.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:31 pm

His mom and dad are Babidi's and Dabura's reincarnations, that's how.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Marco Polo wrote:His mom and dad are Babidi's and Dabura's reincarnations, that's how.
Fan-art of this needs to exist.
Retired.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:But didn't they wish for the people of earth to forget about Buu?
What does that have to do with anything? He said that they probably didn't know.
He says most of the people on Earth know about Buu, but I'm pretty sure nobody besides the main cast remembers him due to the wish.

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Why does it have to be some special reason? Maybe his parents just liked the name.
They ended up calling the reincarnation of Buu "Buu" backwards just by coincidence?
Well, when you think about it that way, you've gotta wonder how in the heck most of the characters got their 'pun' based names from their parents.
I think that's another interesting discussion to have. Obviously the saiyans are aware they have names based on vegetables; perhaps it was a trend started in their culture at some point.
酷签名

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:41 pm

...I actually completely forgot about that bit. *facepalm* You're right, I think it says they remember that Mr. Satan saved them from 'something' other than Cell, but nothing more specific than that, ack.

Regardless though, I'd still say it's just a matter of weird DB names being weird DB names, and his parents likely just looked at little baby Uub and said 'he looks like an Uub' the way a lot of people choose their baby names in real life by deciding based on what they think fits the child's appearance.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:37 pm

We just have to assume "Oob" means something to his parents/in his culture. Perhaps there's some cosmic influence in their choosing that name as well.

Gyt Kaliba rightly points out that most names in Dragon Ball don't hold up to a whole lot of logical scrutiny, given that the language of the world matches our own, but pun names go without comment. Perhaps it's just so much a part of their culture, it doesn't warrant conversation. But then that custom would also have to extend into space and parallel dimensions.

Beerus isn't familiar with most Earth food, but no one comments on the absurd coincidence of him, Whis, Vados and Champa all possessing names that barely deviate from Earth-based beverages. Despite the Saiyans having, one would presume, completely different horticulture, no one ever puts two and two together and says, "Hey, Kakorot, Vegeta, Nappa, Broli, Saiya-jin? It's pretty wild that these all sound like Earth vegetables, right?" And since the Saiyans speak Japanese, or whatever universal language it's a stand-in for, is it lost on them that their species is a re-arrangement of "yasai"? Is that word in their vocabulary too?

Maybe everything but proper nouns are "translated" for the viewer/reader, so they never have reason to make the connection. Like it's just a coincidence in their universe that all the Saiyans' names phonetically align with vegetable puns in Japanese and English, but in their universe, they're just random sounds or have other meanings.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:02 pm

In a human point of view, it's just a coincidence, even more when humanity forgot about Majin Boo event (they only know Mr. Boo)
We could also believe some "angel Gabriel" (Enma Daioh, maybe?) came and said "name your son Oob", but... I don't think this would happen. I ever believed it's destiny or cosmic influence

If you want a more simple way to understand, just remember Toriyama's way to do everything is simple. He just wanted every reader to understand. "Hey, it's Boo's reincarnation! See? Even his name is backwards, because he is good and Boo is evil! Hehehe... Got it? Boo? Oob?". This apply in almost every character name in his works. It's more plausible if you think about the author, not about in-fiction humans or, more specifically, Oob's parents