Dragon Ball Super FT Trunks arc - Your thoughts?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Super FT Trunks arc - Your thoughts?!

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:36 pm

FT Trunks arc ended. I created this thread to leave our overall thoughts about it. Go on!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super FT Trunks arc - Your thoughts?!

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Compared to the other arcs in the franchise it's an 8/10.

Compared to Super's other arcs it's a 9/10.

It's production was superior to what came before it.

The fights are among the franchise's best.

The plot is full of surprises, especially today's ending.

We got someone other than Goku and Vegeta fighting.

What little we got of Vegetto was great.

Zamasu is arguably the franchise's best villain.

Vegeta got to beat Black litirally into the ground which is the best part of the arc for me.

The other members will probably give a lot more reasons to why it's good but that's just to give you a general idea on why I like it.

This arc has saved Super for me and has fully justified it as an anime and a continuation to the original story and if it can keep this up then it and the franchise have a very bright future ahead of them.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 pm

The first two acts are fairly strong with a great mystery, one of the most entertaining bad guys we've gotten thus far and damn good fights.

The last act is horrendous beyond saving with every episode beating it's predecessor with the amount of ass pulls and bad writing.

In terms of quality I'd give it a 6/10 but in terms of how disappointed I am by the wasted potential? It beats out the ever loathsome Resurrection F for me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The first two acts are fairly strong with a great mystery, one of the most entertaining bad guys we've gotten thus far and damn good fights.

The last act is horrendous beyond saving with every episode beating it's predecessor with the amount of ass pulls and bad writing.

In terms of quality I'd give it a 6/10 but in terms of how disappointed I am by the wasted potential? It beats out the ever loathsome Resurrection F for me.
You disliked the ending? Really? I know you hate the whole time travel nonsense, but besides that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm

+I enjoyed the initial mystery surrounding Gokû Black
+Rosé was fantastic
+Future Zamasu and his kabe-don was pretty good too.
+Just the way Rosé and Future Zamasu interacted together.
-Gokû being super-forgetful was frustrating.
+But I did like how he managed to get over his time-travel car-sickness on the third go around.
-Vegeta ignoring Gokû for most of the arc was frustrating.
+But I like how Gokû never gave up on him.
+Future Mai is cool.
-Merged Zamasu was not nearly as interesting as the two person team he was before the fusion.
+Vegetto was entertaining.
+Mafuba stuff was great.
+Stormcloud Zamasu had a more comedic design than I expected.
+Vegeta's revenge on Rosé and his speech about Gokû being more than just his body was incredible!
-Disappointed Future Zeno vaporized Future Uni 7 along with Zamasu (I wanted a Freeza-style monkey's paw type punishment for Zamasu).
-What a strange, strange ending.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm

I enjoyed it more than everything in GT. It was hands down the best arc in Super by fucking miles. If it was fleshed out and we had competent writers and animators on staff, it really wouldn't have taken much to shape this into the best saga in the franchise with what Toriyama provided, imo.

That said, it's still does not hold a single candle to anything in DBZ. In fact, comparing it to DBZ makes me flat out hate it.

Also, everything in the last phase of the arc was terrible, including the ending.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:14 pm

I thought it was a step up from the Champa arc. The Champa arc was a 6 while this one was definitely an 8. Vegeta and Trunks' moments, the great fights, Black, and the last Gohan moment were definitely highlights!
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The first two acts are fairly strong with a great mystery, one of the most entertaining bad guys we've gotten thus far and damn good fights.

You disliked the ending? Really? I know you hate the whole time travel nonsense, but besides that.
The ending is just more time travel nonsense pilled up on it, besides it being a shitier version of Rick and Morty, I don't get why people like it. Especially cause they can just use the Super DBs to restore Trunks'version of history. Have em smooch Zuno for their locations in a year and fix that shit.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:17 pm

It had some incredibly great moments. But the finale is the most important part of a story for me. And this cherry sadly was a rotten one.

But I am glad for various reasons nonetheless.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

The ending is just more time travel nonsense pilled up on it, besides it being a shitier version of Rick and Morty, I don't get why people like it. Especially cause they can just use the Super DBs to restore Trunks'version of history. Have em smooch Zuno for their locations in a year and fix that shit.
Seeing as how the timeline shit affects even the multiverse, the Gods and Zeno, I don't think even the all-mighty Super DBs could do anything to fix it.

If the Super DBs affected other timelines, wouldn't it mean that they'd be destroyed in our timeline as well? Since Black wished for their destruction. Obviously they just affect the timeline they're in.

I see it getting more hate than praise, personally, but I like it. It has some faults, but it's a good ending.

Probably a 6.5/10 arc overall.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:22 pm

I think it's fairly good. With my only real complaints being we still don't know what the fuck Trunks new form is and Black wasn't the final fight like I wanted him. Black on his own is so much more interesting than merged Zamasu and the arc was built around him. I wish the Mafuba was still a key part that helped instead of just nuking the future.

But this arc checks all my boxes when it come to what I'm looking for out of my Dragonball.

New and fun characters

Expanded Lore

Great character interaction

Cool fights.

If I had to give it a grade I would give it a C+. It passes but I know it could do better. (God how many time have I had that said to me when I was in school)

I loved the music to this arc I hope they keep using some of it. Trunks was great here despite him being arguably TOO good at what he does. Black is my new favorite villain and I'm legit sad to see him go. The mystery when it was there was fun. I hope the new future trunks has purple hair so when our blue haired one gets to their new timeline they can just stare at each other and wonder what could have been. Twas a fun arc. Maybe not the best written, but certainly fun.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Best arc in the franchise for me. Fantastic development with Future Trunks' character, Zamasu was the best written villain Dragon Ball ever had, some of the animation in the arc is the best we've ever seen from Dragon Ball and the ending, while bittersweet, was heartfelt and very conclusive. I have a hard time thinking how Super will top this.

10/10

A+

5 stars (*****)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:27 pm

I won't include the last episode without watching it (and because I think it could change my thoughts quite a bit).

It was a real good arc, better than any in GT or this series so far, probably better than any in the original Dragon Ball too. Very good villains, it was great to see someone other than Goku and Vegeta having such a major role in the fighting for a change too. Music was good. Animation was good, amazing even in some episodes.

With Z there's plenty of scenes that I always liked and I'd go back and re-watch from time to time. Super only had the Kaioken x10 scene up until this saga and now there's a few. Some of the scenes and a few of the episodes I think are some of the best episodes to come out the whole franchise.

I don't know if they'll be able to top it but it's not impossible.

My main issue with it would probably be the pacing, the arc was actually probably too short again. The second half of the arc needed to be spread out more with more time spent in the present, with more explanations and perhaps training and with less fighting and with more characters appearing, they were jumping from the future to the present to the future etc too quickly that it was making it a little samey and difficult to distinguish what happened on which trip.

Merged Zamasu was also rushed he warranted more than two episodes as did Vegito. That should have been spread over at least more episode.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:30 pm

I liked the arc in Super a lot.
It is not on par with anything in Z at all. Toriyama's manga in it's prime was just superb and as Super is the closest TOEI adaptation of his style (even more than the classic movies in my opinion),
it lacks the flow the original story had. Dragon Ball GT was more natural sequel probably thanks to it being developed right after Z, but the story wasn't that good.
Toriyama's involvement in plot points and character design is noticeable. The jokes and dialogues tough are shit. Goku is idiot - I was already tired by his constant ''a little bit'' so they've changed him to cretin, who is forgetting crucial plot points like Senzu beans or Mafuba seal, which is something he would never do when fighting against serious threat (I have strong callbacks to his trainings in DB and Z, drinking the sacred water and doing things seriously).
It's just in civil life, when he is not fighting that he's just retarded and ignorant.
I have more of a Saint Seiya Omega feeling from the overall execution. The movies were great, they should've rather adapted each arc into a movie.

This was probably Super's best arc, but I didn't like the ongoing Pilaf gang plothole, which makes Trunks being a gerontophile, even tough TOEI wants us to forget who Pilaf Gang was, except for that flashback with King Piccolo, which they slightly forgot, as they are actually reincarnated into child's bodies and their true wish was to delete Goku and his friends' memory of them before they died and reincarnated.

Trunks hair colour, with halfassed flashbacks from Z with his lavender colour and reanimated segments with his Super colour... that's really a headache and makes the hair change more of a Goku's black haired SSJ against Paikuhan mistake.
Short fights interluded with time hopping where nothing happens much. It was fine the first time, but their deus ex machina ''We are losing, get to the time machine'' was pretty cheap and unnecessary.

Goku Black being just Zamasu was interesting, but I had high hopes for mysterious original character and it betrayed me.
But storywise, best arc and nice change of pace after the more funny Universe 6 arc.

I hope that Super will not end with Multiverse tournament in the next arc and will become a full fledged sequel with at least one or two more serious arcs and not be just a series of nostalgic fun one-shots for Z veterans.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:44 pm

As for this arc as a whole, it was meh for me. In the beginning I loved Black's character. However once we started digging into his back story, it wasn't appealing for me. He just came across as a prick who had no "real" reason to be doing what he was doing. All the flaws he was talking about in mortals were present within himself. Even Gowasu told him that. Shoot, all the gods in this series have flaws point blank. They fuss and fight with each other over petty things just like all the mortal characters in Z. So this storyline with Black just didn't fit with me. If Zamasu came across as more of a perfect being with no flaws, this story would have been more believable or satisfying. Yet it didn't, and in my book, Zamasu is one of the worst if not the worst character in Dragon Ball.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Its a great arc. I don't think its better than any of DBZ's main story arcs, but its pretty close.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely one of my favourite arcs in the franchise, even with its issues.

I was excited from the get-go because of the inclusion of Future Trunks. He's my favourite characters in the series, and one of my biggest issues with the Android arc was that they didn't use Trunks much in the story. He just arrived, killed Freeza and his daddy, warned the characters about the Androids and just stuck around to fight them. Here though, we see him grow through his relationship with Vegeta and his will to protect the humans of his world. I loved the idea that he was the one to defeat Zamasu, even if the reasoning behind it was questionable. It's his story arc, so it's best for him to finish what he started.

I loved Vegeta in this arc. We saw sides of him that I've wanted to see in such a long time. You could really see that he cared for Future Trunks and his timeline. The 'FUCK YEAH!' moment for me was when he finally overpowered Goku Black in the third encounter in Future Trunks's timeline after getting beat in the previous two encounters. He even gave that 'Saiyan Prince' speech that we all love so much. It was just so goddamn satisfying.

Goku Black was such a great villain. From his chilling reveal in Episode 47, I knew this guy meant business. I was so glad that he wasn't just an evil Goku. We all kinda knew from the start that he was Zamasu, but the writers cleverly made us throw that theory when he was seen with Zamasu in Episode 56, then we later find out in Episode 61 that he IS Zamasu. I liked that he was a villain with a motivation; to wipe out all mortals... but it does get over the top and he eventually gets reduced to a maniac. I'm okay with that, but I definitely preferred calm and collective Black/Zamasu than crazy psychopath. It's strange how I prefer Black over Zamasu even though they're the same person. :lol: I guess it's because Black is way calmer and his cockiness was really enjoyable to watch. His Super Saiyan Rosé transformation was just... there. It looked cool, I liked its symbolism because it represented the sakura leaves in that one Zamasu moment and it also represented his obsession with beauty. I don't know if it's a problem with the show or that transformations have become so common now that I don't see the appeal anymore. I dunno.

I teared up twice in this arc. First time was with Episode 52, when Future Trunks was wondering what his timeline would be like had it not been attacked by Black. The other time was with the finale, Episode 67, when Gohan rushed to wish Future Trunks farewell as he was about to leave the present timeline. That imagery with Future Gohan as Future Trunks looked at present Gohan pulled my heart strings. :cry: I've only teared up 3 times in this franchise prior to this arc. First time was when Kid Goku reunited with Grandpa Gohan, second time was Goku's sacrifice at the Cell Games and the third time was GT's ending. Super managed to make me tear up twice in the same arc. That's saying something.

Lots of great moments throughout the story. Goku Black's reveal, Vegeta's lecture of motivation towards Future Trunks, Goku getting mad when discovering the fate of his family when Black attained his body, Future Trunks's transformation into that new form (that we STILL KNOW NOTHING ABOUT), Beerus deleting Zamasu, Father-son Galick Gun, Vegetto vs Zamasu, Future Trunks defeating Zamasu and I could go on and on. Action scenes were made great thanks to talented animators such as Ken Otsuka, Naotoshi Shida, Naoki Tate and many more. Toei really tried there best with delivering great action cuts even with Super's messy schedule. Episode 66 was an absolute spectacle and one of the best looking episodes in the entire franchise.

The OST also stepped its game in this arc. Sumitomo was actually delivering great pieces of music. I loved Black's theme. The way it starts with just violins gives me chills. I don't think there was a time where a track felt out of place. I guess my only problem with the OST was that they reused tracks from Kai 2014. The thing is, they reused my favourite tracks and they were placed well within the episodes.

The problems I have with the arc are definitely a lack of explanation and some plot holes. Future Trunks's new form was never explained as far as I'm concerned. I guess it was a false Super Saiyan Blue transformation? I dunno? How was he able to make a Genki Dama at the end of Episode 66? Here's one that kills me: So Black(Zamasu) took Goku's body after his fight with him, right? Ummm... but the only reason why they fought was because Goku, Beerus and Whis were searching for Black's ki (Zamasu) after Future Trunks arrived to their timeline explaining the situation. So there's no way that Black(Zamasu) would have fought Goku prior to stealing his body. This could have been avoided if they had simply said that Black(Zamasu) stole Goku's body after seeing him on KamiTube with his fight with Hit.

Other minor problems I have include that the Pilaf gang can get a bit annoying sometimes, but it's not all bad. The art did take a dip in quality at times but I'm so used to it by this point. Episode 66 felt rushed, I would have preferred if the plot of that episode was spread out in 2 or 3 episodes, but I still really enjoyed it.

The ending was great, I loved that the heroes lost. Everyone fucking dies. That is just... Jeez. Good thing for Zeno, Beerus and Whis. But even still, I liked that it didn't really end on a happy note.

Overall, just a really really great arc. Without a doubt the best Super arc, it destroys every Super arc before it. It's probably my third favourite Dragon Ball arc in the entire franchise. First is the Buu arc, second is the Freeza arc and third is the Future Trunks arc. It had its problems, but this entire franchise is riddled with plot holes, retcons, inconsistencies and a bunch of other issues. Nothing we haven't seen before. Can't wait to experience it all over again with the English dub.

9.5/10 :clap:

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 am

- Black stole the fucking show.
- I loved Future Trunks' design, the scarf and everything (even the blue hair.)
- There was interaction between the two Trunks's
- SUPER SAIYAN ROSE
- Zamasu was a great villain. but black was better.
- Zamasu and Black's interaction
- Gowasu played this... sort of Kami back in DBZ role that I liked as well.
- Beerus did a cool thing.
- The fighting, man... the fighting.
- The art was great all over (with some exceptions).
- Zen-chan.
- Goku Black's theme :thumbup:
- The (almost) Super Saiyan Blue trio.
- The ending is so bittersweet... and I think that's for the better.

Overall, I had a blast with this arc and I enjoyed it all the way till the end. My second favorite Arc in the franchise.

9/10.
Bravo, Super. :clap:
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:36 am

Pretty decent. I had fun watching at first because the mystery of Black's identity was intriguing at first. I thought it had some good and bad moments in there. I definitely wouldn't put it above anything in DB, DBZ, or even GT. The first half was done a bit well but the second was pretty bad imo. Especially the ending.

Overall, I'd give it a 5/10. Maybe a 6 if I'm generous.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:38 am

Better then Cell. Good development for some characters, some decently cool villains, and the biggest ass pule in a franchise that has a lot of ass puling. A solid C.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸