Why didn't Trunks stay on the main timeline along with Vegeta and others?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Why didn't Trunks stay on the main timeline along with Vegeta and others?

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:03 am

I kinda wonder why didn't Trunks just stay in the main timeline with Goku and the others.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't Trunks stay on the main timeline along with Vegeta and others?

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:09 am

It would have made more sense from a strictly character perspective, but I think it would have been a problem for the main timeline to have 2 Mai's and Trunk's running around. From a story-telling perspective it would have created problems as future Trunks has always disappeared after his arc from the main cast and writing around those two extra character would be too much of a hassle.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 am

Future Mai wanted to be reunited with her comrades and Future Trunks agreed to that compromise. A version of Future Bluma being alive also played a factor, I'm sure. Essentially, it was the closest thing to home for them. They're satisfied with the overall difference they made with time traveling in spite of the losses. Most importantly, Future Trunks now has the strength to protect himself and others without the assistance of the alternate past. This is reinforced when Gohan reminds him of "Hope!!" despite the fact that he failed to protect his first world. He's moving on yet again and creating his own future, just as he strives for in the Cell arc epilogue.
MrWalnut4 wrote:It would have made more sense from a strictly character perspective, but I think it would have been a problem for the main timeline to have 2 Mai's and Trunk's running around. From a story-telling perspective it would have created problems as future Trunks has always disappeared after his arc from the main cast and writing around those two extra character would be too much of a hassle.
Future Trunks and Future Mai will still co-exist with themselves in the Beerus-created era.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:24 am

Nejishiki wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:It would have made more sense from a strictly character perspective, but I think it would have been a problem for the main timeline to have 2 Mai's and Trunk's running around. From a story-telling perspective it would have created problems as future Trunks has always disappeared after his arc from the main cast and writing around those two extra character would be too much of a hassle.
Future Trunks and Future Mai will still co-exist with themselves in the Beerus-created era.
Yes, it just makes for an awkward plot point to send Future Trunks and Mai back to their time and away from the main cast. It would have made for a better narrative if Beerus didn't mention that there would be two of each them.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:28 am

Really, it's for the best that Trunks goes back to another timeline that has him in it; that way the ALTERNATE Trunks can learn how to go Berserker Super Saiyan (that's my name for it) too.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:29 am

MrWalnut4 wrote:Yes, it just makes for an awkward plot point to send Future Trunks and Mai back to their time and away from the main cast. It would have made for a better narrative if Beerus didn't mention that there would be two of each them.
Admittedly, the particular sequence detailing that was overall strange. Too bad the implications of it will be avoided in typical Dragon Ball fashion. :P

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:32 am

Nejishiki wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:Yes, it just makes for an awkward plot point to send Future Trunks and Mai back to their time and away from the main cast. It would have made for a better narrative if Beerus didn't mention that there would be two of each them.
Admittedly, the particular sequence detailing that was overall strange. Too bad the implications of it will be avoided in typical Dragon Ball fashion. :P
Exactly. It will be more or less forgotten to time and the next arc will proceed without even a thought to the implications of the previous arc unfortunately.

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:01 am

They should go to the Cell's timeline instead of creating another alternate timeline. There isn't Trunks there, but all of their friends should be alive and well too. + Future Bulma would be super-happy to see her son again. Everyone would be happy.
And if Buu appeared, Trunks would destroy him easily with his new power.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:08 am

szopman wrote:They should go to the Cell's timeline instead of creating another alternate timeline. There isn't Trunks there, but all of their friends should be alive and well too. + Future Bulma would be super-happy to see her son again. Everyone would be happy.
And if Buu appeared, Trunks would destroy him easily with his new power.
The damage is already done by the time that conversation is had. The timeline is there and isn't going anywhere. Whis arranged to "clean up" the Beerus-created era for them so that they could safely travel there. I doubt the comrades Future Mai wants to reunite with exist in Cell's era, too. It walked its own path after its story concluded. It's likely too different to be "recognized". I'll give you granting that Future Bluma happiness, but the decision was compromised between himself and Future Mai. I like the gist of what you're saying though. It's unoccupied space that doesn't deal with the rather awkward scenario featuring two Trunks and Mai living together. It's just that they wanted a world that was close enough to what they already had before. That's the primary motivation for it.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:46 am

Nejishiki wrote:Future Mai wanted to be reunited with her comrades and Future Trunks agreed to that compromise. A version of Future Bluma being alive also played a factor, I'm sure. Essentially, it was the closest thing to home for them. They're satisfied with the overall difference they made with time traveling in spite of the losses. Most importantly, Future Trunks now has the strength to protect himself and others without the assistance of the alternate past. This is reinforced when Gohan reminds him of "Hope!!" despite the fact that he failed to protect his first world. He's moving on yet again and creating his own future, just as he strives for in the Cell arc epilogue.
Nejishiki wrote:
szopman wrote:They wanted a world that was close enough to what they already had before. That's the primary motivation for it.
I wish that Trunks and Mai had stayed around, but with the above points who am I to not let them be happy with the nearest thing they could get to their lost home? Let Trunks and Mai meet their lost loved ones, even if it's not them they should be happy enough.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.