Does Goku know how to use swords?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Does Goku know how to use swords?

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

He can use a staff (so that counts as some knowledge on weapons) but it's never explicit said if he can use a sword as far as I know...
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Does Goku know how to use swords?

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Even if he can't, it wouldn't take him long to learn how to use one.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Image

Maybe he was just planning on swinging it around? Without proper knowledge on a sword.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:08 pm

He could swing around the Z sword, but that is about the extent of his experience with swords in the original series.
He did once wield and fight with the nyoibo and fought sword wielders with it, so sword wielding most likely would not be difficult at all for him to pick up.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:12 am

Well, he most likely can which is possible if he can swing a pole (nyoibo), etc. Not to mention, he has seen Future Trunks and other characters such as Murasaki wield them swords. So it's entirely possible Goku knows how to use a sword. Then again, the closest thing we've ever got to a "swordsman Goku" is literally Goku Black. :lol: :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:14 am

He's never had any formal swordsman training, but if he wanted to pick a blade up, it would only take him a few seconds to become a master.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:28 am

No, not once in the original manga, and anime , and DRAGON BALL SUPER has Goku ever once fought with a sword

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 am

Gog wrote:No, not once in the original manga, and anime , and DRAGON BALL SUPER has Goku ever once fought with a sword
Just because we've never seen him fight with a sword doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to use one. Hell, he's fought with enemies and has seen characters that uses swords, especially the recent arc of Super. So he may have knowledge on how to use a sword and it wouldn't take him long to become a swordsman.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:48 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
Gog wrote:No, not once in the original manga, and anime , and DRAGON BALL SUPER has Goku ever once fought with a sword
Just because we've never seen him fight with a sword doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to use one. Hell, he's fought with enemies and has seen characters that uses swords, especially the recent arc of Super. So he may have knowledge on how to use a sword and it wouldn't take him long to become a swordsman.
No, nothing even remotely implies that Goku knows how to use a sword, but it would take him half an atto second to become the greatest swords man in existence

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:02 am

Gog wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
No, nothing even remotely implies that Goku knows how to use a sword, but it would take him half an atto second to become the greatest swords man in existence
Then again, if you are Goku, then using a sword should be pretty simple.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:06 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote: Just because we've never seen him fight with a sword doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to use one. Hell, he's fought with enemies and has seen characters that uses swords, especially the recent arc of Super. So he may have knowledge on how to use a sword and it wouldn't take him long to become a swordsman.
Then again, if you are Goku, then using a sword should be pretty simple.
'sigh' Goku-Sue is amazing like that :(

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Well as Vegito he used a ki sword... does that count?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:55 pm

He can wield the Nyoibo and the Z Sword so I'm sure he could fight with a sword if he wanted to.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Depends what you mean by "know".
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 pm

If you're thousands of times stonger and faster than your opponent you don't need skill or experience to win. Also, at god level the damage done by the sword is like 99% ki anyway, and Gokuu might as well stick to shooting from his hands.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:40 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:If you're thousands of times stonger and faster than your opponent you don't need skill or experience to win. Also, at god level the damage done by the sword is like 99% ki anyway, and Gokuu might as well stick to shooting from his hands.
Luckily Goku has both which explains why he's so formidable.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:If you're thousands of times stonger and faster than your opponent you don't need skill or experience to win.
Saitama in a nutshell.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:25 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:If you're thousands of times stonger and faster than your opponent you don't need skill or experience to win.
Saitama in a nutshell.
I'm only reading one punch man, besides all the humor, characters, and designs. To see Satima get the shit kicked out of him. Freeza style

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 am

Gog wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saitama in a nutshell.
I'm only reading one punch man, besides all the humor, characters, and designs. To see Satima get the shit kicked out of him. Freeza style
You might have to wait a long time for that. Although [spoiler]In the webcomic, Garou came the closest, actually managing to outmaneuver and outspeed him a bit, and took many of his normal attacks and two serious attacks, and survived the fight.[/spoiler]