I don't understand the hype for Gohan again

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

I don't understand the hype for Gohan again

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Facebook and some Dragonball youtubers acting like it is sure that Gohan will become great again i mean calm down and enjoy the series without
so much expectation for a character...If this will not happen they will bash Toei and Akira and i don't like it that's their fault when they misunderstand things

SonsOfUlron21
Beyond Newbie

Re: I don't understand the hype for Gohan again

Post by SonsOfUlron21 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Everytime they showed Gohan everybody get they're hopes up it happens all the time honestly I blame both sides the Gohan fans and Toie Writers for setting him and doing nothing with him.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 pm

SonsOfUlron21 wrote:Everytime they showed Gohan everybody get they're hopes up it happens all the time honestly I blame both sides the Gohan fans and Toie Writers for setting him and doing nothing with him.
Also the You Tubers trying to get guaranteed views by making videos about him.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Do you really think Toei will pass up the change to market this for toys and videogames?

Future Trunks is gone, Vegito already appeared....they're going to need a new Saiyan to market the hell out of. Gohan is the next most obvious choice to advertise Super Saiyan Blue with.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 pm

They might shoehorn Gohan into an arc for a couple minutes to do something that's cool, but ultimately pointless. and then sell product of that thing.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 pm

People want one of the most popular characters to do things, it's not that hard to understand.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:19 pm

I sort of understand it, in that he's probably the most prominent fighting character to be moved into a primarily non-action role, and the series has been fairly inconsistent in portraying his desire to either close the gap between himself and Goku/Vegeta or focus completely on other interests. In addition, he hasn't been all that interesting to make up for the decreased activity (which is a fucking shame with how fun he and Videl are in the Boo arc).

Personally, I'm completely down for the series portraying him as Goku's adult son who has moved onto other interests and who his father doesn't quite understand (and vice versa), despite caring about one another and Gohan still being able to get into some super-powered martial arts action when the time calls for it. But they need to actually do a little more with that.

The constant whining about his different role and searching for hints on a return to fighting full-time sure are irritating though. Especially when that kind of discussion overrides much more obvious and powerful readings of scenes like the Gohan/Trunks exchange at the end of episode 67. That was all about the impact Trunks has had in positively affecting the lives of some version of the people close to him, but that interpretation was drowned out by a sea of "Is Gohan TRAINING AGAIN?!! IS TOEI TRYING TO TELL US SOMETHING?!!"

PAN IS SICK NEXT EPISODE IS GOHAN GOING TO COME BACK??!

THERE WAS A WEIRD BUG IN MY KITCHEN WHAT IMPLICATIONS COULD THIS HAVE FOR GOHAN?!?!?!?!?!

Like, comment, and fucking subscribe.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:28 am

Really, it was Toei's fault in RF. Sure, fans may be reaching for evidence in the most recent episodes, but the things Gohan does in Episode 22, 23 and 27 can't be interpreted in any other way than "I want to get stronger". And since this is Dragon Ball, obviously, saying you want to get strong means you could potentially be relevant in the story. It could easily be interpreted as them hinting Gohan will become strong enough to be important in the next arc or so. Especially because he's been stated to still have more latent power than anyone else.

Obviously, that didn't happen in either the Champa arc or the Future Trunks arc, but people don't want to think that little subplot is NEVER going to lead anywhere, so now they're trying to find whatever pieces of evidence they can as 'proof' that it's still going.

It's just wishful thinking. Just like how every arc, certain fans think that there's proof Vegeta's going to get the kill on the arc villain. They're both things fans have really wanted to see, and could potentially be great ideas if implemented well, so these fans hold onto whatever they can to try and prove it'll happen at some point.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:09 am

Cipher nailed it. The Trunks/Gohan moment in #67 was a good character moment for Trunks, but Gohan fans instead of that made a fucking issue of Gohan's hair. "Is it Gohan's ultimate form", " Is he training" YADA YADA YADA. No offense to Gohan fans, but this consistent searching of hints can get irritating.

As for me, personally I couldn't care less if he becomes relevant or not. He never was an interesting character to begin with. But, even if he somehow becomes the main character, the poster boy of Dragon Ball I still wouldn't care. I only care about Super to be entertaining and the staff to do some good work. That's it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:16 am

I think there is hype for Kid Trunks and Gohan again, Kid Trunks was really shook up in this arc and Gohan was bothered by it too. I think RoF planted the seeds with Gohan, then his absence in the U6 tourney, and now him rushing back with Piccolo, with no Glasses. He always has his glasses now unless he is fighting, so he was probably training. Not only that, they done a thing of Trunks finally seeing Future Gohan in him. They are dropping a crap ton of hints but I think it'll only happen if Goku and Vegeta go off to Planet Sadal to train the Saiyan's and go off-screen for a while. A enemy could attack Earth forcing Gohan to fight.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 am

I'd wager to say Gohan is also far more popular in the west than Japan. Most people were exposed to DBZ before Dragonball as kids, so thus we "grew up with Gohan" and saw him as a secondary main character after Goku.

I think people often forget the impact Gohan made on the west simply because of how much the Saiyan/Freeza saga focused on him, then the end of the Cell arc, and of course the Buu arc showing him age and the popularity of SSJ2 and Mystic forms.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:09 am

There are still lots of Gohan fans around who want their favourite character to shine again.
I understand how they feel, Future trunks is my all time favourite character And I was hyped as hell when he came back.
I loved every moment of it. :mrgreen:

I was always neutral when it came to Gohan, he was a likeable character but for whatever reason he never really grew on me.
He is still in my top 10 of favourite characters though and I hope for the sake of all the Gohan fans around he will have his moment to shine again in the future.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:09 am

Gohan coming back will damage the series. I think the fanbase would be way more excited with a namekian god or earthling god. Something that will the change the show in a drastic way.

Gohan fans are just a loud minority who just need to stop.

No one cares about your little one hit wonder. Out of all the characters in the series he is the character that deserves a power up the least.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:18 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Gohan coming back will damage the series. I think the fanbase would be way more excited with a namekian god or earthling god. Something that will the change the show in a drastic way.

No one cares about your little one hit wonder. Out of all the characters in the series he is the character that deserves a power up the least.
Although earthling god and namekian god sounds wonderful, Saying Gohan fans are being loud without a reason and no one cares about their favorite character is just being ridiculous..

He is the son of goku and all of z he was built up I say he deserves the most power of all..
But that dosen't make him deserve it right?
Similarly your claims are just empty lashings for no good reason
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:38 am

Kagari wrote:People want one of the most popular characters to do things, it's not that hard to understand.
This.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:10 am

precita wrote:I'd wager to say Gohan is also far more popular in the west than Japan. Most people were exposed to DBZ before Dragonball as kids, so thus we "grew up with Gohan" and saw him as a secondary main character after Goku.

I think people often forget the impact Gohan made on the west simply because of how much the Saiyan/Freeza saga focused on him, then the end of the Cell arc, and of course the Buu arc showing him age and the popularity of SSJ2 and Mystic forms.
Gohan is also very poplar in Japan. He usually the third behind Goku and Vegeta. However, Toriyama rarely writes based on popularity. Some times he does, like Freeza, other times he doesn't care since Piccolo is also popular and one of his favorite characters, yet almost does nothing with him recently.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Gohan coming back will damage the series. I think the fanbase would be way more excited with a namekian god or earthling god. Something that will the change the show in a drastic way.

Although earthling god and namekian god sounds wonderful, Saying Gohan fans are being loud without a reason and no one cares about their favorite character is just being ridiculous..

He is the son of goku and all of z he was built up I say he deserves the most power of all..
But that dosen't make him deserve it right?
Similarly your claims are just empty lashings for no good reason
Why does the character who does not like fighting and never trains deserve a power up when Piccolo, Tien and Krillin who train all the time while also like fighting don't get anything.

Being the son of the main character means nothing, if that is your reason then what about Goten. That reason is therefore invalid to me.

All I see from his fanbase is that becuase he beat Cell, he is a special character who must be the best all the time even though most of them fans did not even like him until he had his fight with cell.

Toriyama decided that it makes no sense for Gohan to replace Goku and consequently has been trying to tell all fans since battle of gods that he is finished and I think it is the best decision he has made.
HeroR wrote:
precita wrote:I'd wager to say Gohan is also far more popular in the west than Japan. Most people were exposed to DBZ before Dragonball as kids, so thus we "grew up with Gohan" and saw him as a secondary main character after Goku.

Gohan is also very poplar in Japan. He usually the third behind Goku and Vegeta. However, Toriyama rarely writes based on popularity. Some times he does, like Freeza, other times he doesn't care since Piccolo is also popular and one of his favorite characters, yet almost does nothing with him recently.
I think if a poll was done now he will almost certainly not be third.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:20 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: I think if a poll was done now he will almost certainly not be third.
That is your guess. Even when Gohan didn't have the best performance in the Buu Saga, he still got third in the Dragon Ball forever poll. And if we're going with 'what ifs' it's questionable if Piccolo will score that high since he hasn't done crap other than being Goku's running joke for disrespect.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:51 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:Really, it was Toei's fault in RF. Sure, fans may be reaching for evidence in the most recent episodes, but the things Gohan does in Episode 22, 23 and 27 can't be interpreted in any other way than "I want to get stronger". And since this is Dragon Ball, obviously, saying you want to get strong means you could potentially be relevant in the story. It could easily be interpreted as them hinting Gohan will become strong enough to be important in the next arc or so. Especially because he's been stated to still have more latent power than anyone else.

Obviously, that didn't happen in either the Champa arc or the Future Trunks arc, but people don't want to think that little subplot is NEVER going to lead anywhere, so now they're trying to find whatever pieces of evidence they can as 'proof' that it's still going.

It's just wishful thinking. Just like how every arc, certain fans think that there's proof Vegeta's going to get the kill on the arc villain. They're both things fans have really wanted to see, and could potentially be great ideas if implemented well, so these fans hold onto whatever they can to try and prove it'll happen at some point.
It's not Toei's fault at all, it's the fans' fault as usual. All Toei did was give Gohan the development that Toriyama doesn't bother to give him, Gohan is not going to neglect his training anymore. However, as the beginning of the Champa arc showed, he's never going to put his training ahead of his family and job. Fans have this weird expectation that Gohan will dedicate his full time to training and catch up to Goku and Vegeta, that's never going to happen and it's just fans clinging to old glory.

Really, what Gohan is doing now is the equivalent of a normal person who stood on his couch every day after work eating Cheetos now going for a jog every day. People expected him to turn into a training junkie like Goku and Vegeta for some reason, so of course there was a huge outrage when Piccolo said in the Black arc that Gohan isn't a fighter anymore.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: I think if a poll was done now he will almost certainly not be third.
That is your guess. Even when Gohan didn't have the best performance in the Buu Saga, he still got third in the Dragon Ball forever poll. And if we're going with 'what ifs' it's questionable if Piccolo will score that high since he hasn't done crap other than being Goku's running joke for disrespect.
But at least Piccolo makes people respect him whereas Gohan is more of a joke than Yamcha.

Them polls are probably who is your most favourite character not top 5 or 10. I think Gohan would not be 3rd if you do it like that. I think Piccolo is more liked overall in the fanbase. The small sample in the favourite character thread suggests this.