Kanzenshuu members' favorite arcs!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akyon
Regular

Re: Kanzenshuu members' favorite arcs!

Post by Akyon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:18 am

kinisking wrote:
Akyon wrote:Saiyan arc winning warms my heart. Best arc is best. By a large margin too!

Shocked Frieza lost to Buu though. Very surprised by that.
Can anyone who loves the saiyan arc so much explain why? It was great, but it was so short that I'm surprised.
Well, I can't speak for everyone but here's my personal reasons:

-We get the introduction of fan favourite Vegeta

-Goku and Kami/Piccolo's origins are revealed

-We're introduced to what happens on the other side of death and the existence of Gods above Kami.

-Gohan gets introduced, followed by a ton of development. He might still be scared, but he comes a LONG way in this arc.

-Piccolo goes from antagonist to a heroic figure and it's heart warming.

-Last time the Earthlings get to fight properly without looking like total chumps; Tenshinhan, Krillin and even Yamcha get a decent-ish showing before being defeated/killed. Even flipping Yajirobe gets to look cool for a second. Chiaoutzu's last time doing ANYTHING of note.

-Zenkai boosts aren't introduced just yet to explain how the Saiyans suddenly speed so far ahead of everyone else it makes them all useless.

-The Hard Worker Vs. Natural Born genius bit is a strong theme. How well done it is past this saga is a matter of personal taste, but I personally adore it here.

-Introduction of many fan favourite techniques such as the Destructo Disc, the Special Beam Cannon, Kaioken, Spirit Bomb, and Galick Gun(sorry, I don't know all the Japanese names or at least how to spell them)

-The wait for Goku is done pretty well and doesn't feel like Goku's wasting time to appear and save the day; he's desperately trying to get to the battlefield to stop everyone dying, not sitting in a healing tank or screwing about sitting on Kami's tower or not defeating the threat whilst he can because he wants someone else to take the torch. Basically Goku looks like he cares and hasn't become blasé due to the Dragonballs being able to reset everything.

-Death still meant something before the Namekian Dragonballs undid the 'only can be brought back once' rule. Honestly when that rule was done away with it didn't matter at all, and unfortunately Goku shows this, thus he has no reason to bother to save anyone's life anymore. He becomes a more uncaring protagonist when he realises "we can just wish everyone back with the Dragonballs".

-Last time we get to see the Great Ape transformation

-Vegeta is a tenacious bastard and makes for a pretty great villain, and Nappa whilst clearly outpowering everyone can still be harmed by weaker opponents attacks.

-Some of the best teamwork used in the series. With the exception of the fight against Recoome, it's also the last as most the following fights are one on ones.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."