Old Toriyama-sensei statements.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Phonon1

Old Toriyama-sensei statements.

Post by Phonon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi all!

So, I am new here, and I wanted to ask you for some help.

I am Spanish. This is important because here in Spain, 17 years ago, there used to be a Dragon Ball magazine called "Dragon Ball GT La Revista". I still have those magazines, and they used to have good and accurate information that I have been able to prove as true with the coming of the years, but the thing is, there was this article about Toriyama in which they wrote some statements from Toriyama about what he would have liked to do if he ever continued Dragon Ball instead of letting Dragon Ball GT happen.

According to the article, Toriyama wanted to make a far jump from Buu's events, and he would have liked to continue the series with brand new characters, 200 or 300 years in the future. In that time, the world would have be in a crisis near to destruction, similar to Mirai Trunk's reality because of some galactic conqueror following Freeza's path. The story would have started with a group of kid adventurers that gather the Dragon Balls. Thinking that Buu was defeated by Satan, they would ask Shenron to bring to their time the great hero Satan. This way, he would have been asked to help the group of kids to defeat the evilness that is destroying their world. It sounded kind of crazy at the begining, but thinking about it, I thought back then that it was a pretty cool concept.

I remembered this article again when, years later, Dragon Ball Online was announced and we started reading little things about the setting and background story of the game, because it sounded really similar to what I read in the article. I played the game, I liked all the things about the story and all.

The thing is, that lately, I've been searching a reliable source for Toriyama's statements about his wished continuation for the saga, but I haven't been able to find any. So, does anybody know or have read something similar somewhere?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Old Toriyama-sensei statements.

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:27 pm

I wasn't familiar with this magazine until you mentioned it here, but after a quick search I found lots of enthusiastic posts and even videos showcasing some of the issues. Looks very neat!

If anyone knows more about them and can confirm these interviews truly are with Toriyama himself, we'd be more than happy to track them down, purchase them, and translate the necessary items. This is definitely the kind of stuff we aim to include in the new "Press Archive" here on the site.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Phonon1

Post by Phonon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:18 pm

The problem here is that it is not an interview, just an article titled "What if Akira Toriyama would have continue Dragon Ball?". They start talking about how we all try to imagine that, and then they say (quoting) "It has been Toriyama itself who has answered that question through comments in different media". But they don't say what are those media. After that, they proceed to make a summary of what is known about this, but they never quote Toriyama itself during the article, so that's why I am looking for a proper source.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Is this it? I don't read Spanish myself, but it seems to match on the surface.

I've never heard Toriyama saying anything like this from interviews I've seen, but this magazine was released on April 1999; perhaps it could've originated from a Japanese publication within that year?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Is this it? I don't read Spanish myself, but it seems to match on the surface.
If that's the article it contains no sources. There's sprinkles here and there of "Toriyama would do it this way" but again it seems more like an interpretation of the writer than anything Mr.Toriyama ever said. The tagline that Mr.Toriyama answered the article question in different mediums is never brought up again.

After reading it, my interpretation is that the author is taking stuff like Dragon Ball Online, for example, and saying that could have been the future of Dragon Ball had Mr.Toriyama continued.

This is nothing more than a think piece. My Spanish isn't perfect but the article is accessible enough for me to be pretty sure.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:26 am

That Goku Jr looks surprisingly like early 2000's Toriyama art.
Does anyone know who drew it and where it is from (inb4 it is from the GT tv special :lol:) ?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:29 am

dbgtFO wrote:That Goku Jr looks surprisingly like early 2000's Toriyama art.
Does anyone know who drew it and where it is from (inb4 it is from the GT tv special :lol:) ?
Not sure who drew it but it's Goku Jr from the special with his school clothes.

Phonon1

Post by Phonon1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:50 am

Son_Gohan wrote:Is this it? I don't read Spanish myself, but it seems to match on the surface.
Yeah, this is the article I am talking about. I can translate it for all of you. My English is not perfect at all and the text would need some correction, but I think it would be close enough for what it is.
Son_Gohan wrote:I've never heard Toriyama saying anything like this from interviews I've seen, but this magazine was released on April 1999; perhaps it could've originated from a Japanese publication within that year?
That's something I would like to know also and the reason why I opened this thread. It would be great if somebody knows any publication from where this could have been taken. I am checking some Spanish forums (as this is an Spanish magazine, it is more possible for people there to discuss this) in case they made some research before, but as far now, I haven't found anything. Also, I am trying to locate the original writer. Maybe he doesn't even remember he wrote this, but I think it is something worth to try.
LightBing wrote:After reading it, my interpretation is that the author is taking stuff like Dragon Ball Online, for example, and saying that could have been the future of Dragon Ball had Mr.Toriyama continued.
Hmm... That's just impossible, as this article is written in 1999 and Dragon Ball Online wasn't even a thought in somebody's mind :P.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:51 am

LightBing wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:That Goku Jr looks surprisingly like early 2000's Toriyama art.
Not sure who drew it but it's Goku Jr from the special with his school clothes.
Ah, dammit. I just knew it had to be from that special and not something mimicking Toriyama's later art.
But thanks!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Phonon1 wrote:Hmm... That's just impossible, as this article is written in 1999 and Dragon Ball Online wasn't even a thought in somebody's mind .
My mistake then. Some of the theory's in it made me think of Online as the closest to what Mr.Toriyama might have implied, if the author was actually using any sources. Which doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't remember Mr. Toriyama ever having the intention to have a 100 year jump(large) into the future, besides Online. Or to purposely remove all characters because they were too strong and he wanted to do a reset.
These statements would be way to controversial for anyone to miss out on them, specially the Kanzenshuu staff.