I'd want Super to do a soft reboot

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

I'd want Super to do a soft reboot

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:55 pm

What I truly would want is a big change of pace. Hear me out:

Zen'o's bodyguards and the higher ups get wind that the beings from Universe 7 have been tampering with the order of the multiverse. They notice that Beerus killed a Kai from Universe 10. Goku and Vegeta have gone back and forth to different timelines numerous times, breaking the laws of time travel. Goku and Vegeta are also clad in God Ki, since they are mortals they should not have that level of power.

Beerus, Goku, and Vegeta are condemned. They are stripped of their power, and all three are approximately around Base Goku when he confronts Frieza on Namek (no transformations). This would be an unexpected change of events, allow for more help from the Z-Fighters, and cause for some comedic scenes where Beerus blames Goku and Vegeta for this. Whis, who never lost any power, remains as a mediator in all of this. This would cause a dilemma for everyone -- do they disobey the orders of the higher ups and use the Super Dragon Balls to enhance their power, or do they attempt to retrain. The Omni-tournament would look that much tougher.

The character development for Beerus, Goku, and Vegeta would be great. Can you imagine Vegeta's mental state? He had worked so many years to become a Super Saiyan Blue, and, yet, all of his power is now gone. He could slowly exhibit signs of depression. Beerus would be scared straight. Now that he personally has been influenced by the power of Zen'o and the higher ups, his fears would become actualized. Goku would laugh it off and see it as a challenge to gain his power back again.

This would transition better from the Future Trunks Arc to the Power Stripped Arc. We have a lot of disjointed arcs -- RoF seemed thrown in the middle, or the transitions could have been done differently. Future Trunks' arc came out of nowhere, and nothing beforehand really led up to it.

Additionally, after the clusterfuck that is God Ki, this change would allow for some iota of powerscaling. The Z-Fighters would be closer to Goku and Vegeta's strength. It would allow for more character interactions and Z-Fighter assistance. We've gone overboard with so many Super Saiyan transformations that it has become unreasonable how all these forms exist in-universe-wise.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Re: I'd want Super to do a soft reboot

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Not to be rude, but this is literary one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

The old characters will be replaced by new characters it is that simple. Happened in Naruto,Bleach,Pokemon,Warcraft,Halo,Gears of War and a bunch of other series.
Last edited by ChaosLordBrandon on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Like any concept, it depends on the execution. It can work but it may not. Some people would probably think that it'd be regressing the characters unecessarily, but anything that invokes any reaction out of Goku and Vegeta besides their generic lines in Super, and punishes Beerus' attitude, is good in my book.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:35 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Not to be rude, but this is literary one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

The old characters will be replaced by new characters it is that simple. Happened in Naruto,Bleach,Pokemon,Warcraft,Halo,Gears of War and a bunch of other series.
Hahahahahahahaha, no, it's okay. Luckily this won't happen. I just feel like this show is stagnant at times. I would like better execution, connection between the arcs, z-fighter integration, and not overdoing the Super Saiyan forms.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:56 am

This is an interesting idea. I do agree that the power levels of Goku & Vegeta have gone way too high and it's left a wide gap between those 2 and the rest of the Z-fighters.

Also I don't think it's a crime for Beerus to kill Zamasu who is a Kai. He can destroy whatever he wants, especially if it might cause imbalance in his Universe.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 am

I think the best way to make the non Goku/Vegeta characters relevant is to have their villains be earth level threats while Goku and Vegeta deal with universe level threats like Zamasu and Buu.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:09 am

sintzu wrote:I think the best way to make the non Goku/Vegeta characters relevant is to have their villains be earth level threats while Goku and Vegeta deal with universe level threats like Zamasu and Buu.
Problem is that goku Vegeta still show up.. and kill them in one hit..
Makes every other effort look pathetic..
Let them not be able to show up for some reason, then it would work out
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:43 am

The current timeline would not even exist if it weren't for time travel.

I also don't think Zeno even realizes that there are multiple timelines.
Last edited by Yedis on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 am

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Not to be rude, but this is literary one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

I've actually hold the belief that they will do this exact same thing except back to following Buu and that Goku and Vegeta in base will be SSJ3 levels because they couldn't strip them of their power. The escalation in both power levels and scale is to a point where an ongoing series doesn't seem reasonable. When the first arc makes them powerful enough to accidentally punch the universe out of existence there's very few places you can reasonably go from there without the sense of a valid threat or character contributions being a complete clusterF.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:02 am

TheMikado wrote:

I've actually hold the belief that they will do this exact same thing except back to following Buu and that Goku and Vegeta in base will be SSJ3 levels because they couldn't strip them of their power. The escalation in both power levels and scale is to a point where an ongoing series doesn't seem reasonable. When the first arc makes them powerful enough to accidentally punch the universe out of existence there's very few places you can reasonably go from there without the sense of a valid threat or character contributions being a complete clusterF.
The universe has not been in danger of them fighting since that scene and they already explained it away. And they will just focus on techniques
The old fighters will never be useful and they will be replaced by new ones, All humans fighter have been useless since the first arc of z.

Also SSB Vegito fought Merged Zamasu and didn't even damage a planet.