One-dimensional DragonBall characters.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

One-dimensional DragonBall characters.

Post by keyz05 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 am

Can anyone list down any one-dimensional characters from the series, the movies, the video games, and etc. Also, why do you think those are one dimensional?

precita
Banned

Re: One-dimensional DragonBall characters.

Post by precita » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:56 am

Broly? Many of the movie villains and characters actually.

Most of the main characters and villains at least have various personality quirks and act differently in different situations.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:24 am

Definitely the movie villains mainly due to the fact that that don't have enough time to flesh out. 40 minutes to fit in the villain's story, the heroes' story, and at least one fight makes for terrible character development. Then again, I don't think the movie villains were meant to be anything more than a fun little in-between story. Some people take them way too seriously.

Other than that, minor characters are pretty one-dimensional. Crane Hermit, Tao Pai Pai, Saibaimen, Cell Juniors, the Mazoku creatures (it's been a while, I mean Piccolo Daimao's crew), etc. Basically the characters that we never got to really get to know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:40 am

Depends on what you consider to be 1-dimensional. Piccolo Daimao could be considered 1 dimensional because he's pure evil. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as it's all about execution. I can think of numerous "multi-dimensional" bad guys who aren't half as interesting as Piccolo or Cell or even Buu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am

Goku's pretty one dimensional

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:36 am

Chiaotzu
Puar
Mr. Popo
East Kaioshin
Broli (at least after his first movie) and most of the movie villains
Most of the side villains
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Post by keyz05 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:28 pm

Abra kadabra wrote:Goku's pretty one dimensional
Goku isn't one-dimensional. If he was always good, then he would be one-dimensional. He wanted Frieza to die on Namek, but Goku couldn't let that happen, so he healed him. He took a level of kindness, being a badass, as well as being more knowledgeable in DBZ. So I have to disagree with you.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:56 pm

A lot of the tournament characters, all the movie villains, all the filler characters, Chiaotzu, Puar, Mr. Popo, Oolong, just to name a few.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Most GT characters felt one dimensional in my opinion. Like General Rildo, Super 17, most of the Shadow Dragons and the new aliens in the Black Star Dragon Ball Hunt.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm

How is Oolong 1 dimensional?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 pm

precita wrote:How is Oolong 1 dimensional?
Yeah, he's more two-dimensional.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:52 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Pretty much the same thing.

Are we just making a list of the characters we think are one dimensional or are we going to discuss whether we think it's a good or bad thing?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Not really...

A one-dimensional character is just fulfilling their role.

A two-dimensional character has character but never grew to the extent where you truly feel for them.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Can I throw in Goten and Trunks?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:08 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Can I throw in Goten and Trunks?
I'd say they're two dimensional

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Trunks I can maybe get but Goten? The blandest of the bland? Unless we're gonna count GT, he wins this contest with a landslide.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:11 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Yeah, he's more two-dimensional.
Not really...

A two-dimensional character has character but never grew to the extent where you truly feel for them.
There's no technical definition. It's all very vague, and whether one feels for the characters has nothing to do with dimension. I felt for the old couple killed by those snipers in the Buu arc despite knowing next to nothing about them.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Yeah, he's more two-dimensional.
Not really...

What is Oolong's character?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Trunks I can maybe get but Goten? The blandest of the bland? Unless we're gonna count GT, he wins this contest with a landslide.
I disagree that Goten is bland, I see he has some character but not enough because he barely had time to himself. Trunks got significant development in DBS and Goten really got squat.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:What is Oolong's character?
Oolong is a selfish, wise-cracking coward.
fadeddreams5 wrote: