Anyone watching the fillers until February?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Anyone watching the fillers until February?

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Since Toei already told us the canon arc starts from February, any of you watching the fillers until that arc starts? I have always skipped fillers of most anime I have watched (Shippuden and Bleach for example). I don't really like Super that much to be honest, so I feel it's a waste of my time to watch episodes which has zero impact in the series later on. Also I hate slice of life episodes so there's that.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Anyone watching the fillers until February?

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, because Canon doesn't dictate whether or not I enjoy an episode. Episode 70-72 were better than all of the ROF arc, and all of Champa arc besides for episode 39.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:37 pm

It hasn't gotten bad enough where I'd skip it yet. I was interested in the Great Saiyaman episode this weekend until I learned it was two parter and now I'm less enthused.

But I'm also at this weird point where there's nothing on the horizon Super-wise for me to look forward to personally. I'm hoping the NewType issue coming out has something good, or that the tournament surprises me somehow.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:40 pm

It's not like I have better things to do for the twenty minutes it would take.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't see why I shouldn't. Most filler has been really good. A lot of people would argue they're the best part of Super.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Merged Zamasu
Banned

Post by Merged Zamasu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm rewatching the entire Future Trunks Arc. I am saddened by the wasted potential of Merged Zamasu. They should have kept his glorious and shining form that we saw in Episode 65. But nooo, we clearly needed yet another Broly clone.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I don't see why I shouldn't. Most filler has been really good. A lot of people would argue they're the best part of Super.
That's pretty sad actually. Fillers should never ever be good compared to main story. Fillers are random episodes made my studio for patch up. Just shows how people are not satisfied with Super's execution
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I don't see why I shouldn't. Most filler has been really good. A lot of people would argue they're the best part of Super.
That's pretty sad actually. Fillers should never ever be good compared to main story. Fillers are random episodes made my studio for patch up. Just shows how people are not satisfied with Super's execution
Not necessarily. Just because Fillers aren't a part of the main story doesn't make them of any less quality automatically. Writing wise at the very least. There have been plenty of filler through out not just Dragonball but plenty of other series that have expanded on story points for something only briefly touched upon it it's original source material. People like the filler because it has shown that it can have great character moments or flat out hilarity that some of the fans really appreciate. Enjoying Filler is not an indication of anything wrong with any series.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

As long as they're like the Hit and baseball episodes and not like the Copy Vegeta ones, then yeah.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Dragon Ball Filler helps boost your spirit up, that's one of the main reasons I like One Piece. So yeah I will be watching it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I don't get this thread. Are people still under the, "fillers are bad" mentality? What the hell?

All the recent Super fillers have been entertaining. Some of the best episodes of Super are fillers. Who cares if something is part of the main arc or not? I feel like this is a debate from the year 2000 or something? Did I somehow go into a timewarp from 15 years ago?

ailema88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ailema88 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:56 pm

I have watched every single episode in DBS filler or not.. there are some good episodes that I have watched more than once and some others that I just watched in streaming or once subbed cause they're boring, but I don't think I'd be able to lose any episode with all the spoilers on internet.. there are fillers that has been really enjoyable and also there are some canon episodes that has been boring..

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Might as well since i got nothing to do

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Its different from Naruto, Bleach etc. With those animes, the "filler" was (and still is imo) material that wasnt written by the original author and was done by a studio which was always inferior to there work. So yeah I would skip some if it bored me but for dbs EVERYTHING is that "filler". The entire product reeks of that studio created junk just to fill air time, that includes the entire zamasu arc to me. So I dont see whats the difference betweem filler arc and filler standalone eps. I'm just tuning in to see old friends.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 am

kinisking wrote:Yes, because Canon doesn't dictate whether or not I enjoy an episode. Episode 70-72 were better than all of the ROF arc, and all of Champa arc besides for episode 39.
Superhuman water arc was better than most the U6 arc imo.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 am

Current fillers are surprisingly good imo

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:34 am

Well it's about Gohan, can't really skip them
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:06 am

Character interactions and SoL stuff is the only thing Super has done a good job at. The next big arc doesn't seem that big and interesting to me anyways, so fillers are definitely worth my time. Great Saiyaman Gohan is the only Gohan I can stand. I'm looking forward to the upcoming episode.

I hope the next few fillers also go the "character interactions and funny gags" route and not action cause that would be unnecessarily wasting your staff and the action will also suck. Super should do what it's good at and that's without question SoL.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Super should do what it's good at and that's without question SoL.
Let's not pretend FTrunks arc didn't happen lol

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Let's not pretend FTrunks arc didn't happen lol
Let's also not pretend that the arc didn't have problems and it didn't started to suffer once it started doing full action episodes. The arc sure was entertaining, don't get me wrong, but SoL is by far the best thing in Super imo.

The character interactions in the Trunks arc was good and like I said dialogue scenes and interactions is Super's strength.