Perfect Dragon Ball animation/art style

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ExtremeJiangBr

Perfect Dragon Ball animation/art style

Post by ExtremeJiangBr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:06 am

I want to ask you guys how could DB have perfect animation/art/shading
I feel like the problem with the new art style is how they exagerate in these white details, it doesn't look bad, if they used it correctly the show would be much better, but like i said, they exagerate, just look at this :Image
When i watch Db movie 13 i see the art style, it looks incredible, and they almost don't use these white details, what i like the most is how they use the colors and the shading, like this: Image You can see how they use 3 types of color, an lighter color, a darker color, and then the darkest they can use, just the skin color already makes it looks incredible, the new art uses this, but not so often, and when they use, its not that good, i don't want the coloration to be like the old show, i believe it was like that to work better in old TV's, and they use this new coloration now cause the anime standard has changed, and if i was the director of the animation (or something like that) i would use a mid term beetwen the old and new coloration, with 3 shading tones for the skin, and clothes.
DBS did what i want sometimes, in some shots like this one here (perfect) Image
You can see how they used the details, the shading is good, and even the coloration of the show didn't change the quality
although i like the 2008 special style, i don't like the coloration that much, but the art is really great, i love how they use darker lines and lighter lines Image Image
I like yamamuro's style, but it doesn't have much expression (i mean now, cause in the 80/90's it was great)
If we could have this that i just explained, +blood +clothes being destroyed +old music (the new one is great, but the for the fights i prefer the old ones) +better story (the story is great now, but you can see toei doesn't know what they're doing, the mafuba was useless (i'm sure they wanted to use it, but then they gone like "how will trunks use it?" so they give trunks the chance to use the mafuba, but then they gone like "but we need the fusion" so they just ignored all of this, but then they gone like "shit, the fans don't want the vegetto to kill the bad guys, let's make some excuse to give trunks the victory"
i know, i like the write shit on the internet, but what do you guys think of it?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Perfect Dragon Ball animation/art style

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 am

Yamamuro's character designs are not good and is too mechanical which doesn't help. The only way Dragon Ball designs can improve is if Yamamuro steps down as CD. You might want to check the animation thread in the Super section. You'll see that the majority wants Yamamuro to step down. It's a problem that everyone knows at this point.

Same problem with the color palette, the current color designer of Super Katou Yoshitaka, I'd say is doing a much better job than the previous one Hotta Teppei, but the quality still isn't up to the mark which I assume is due to the horrible schedule.

The standards changing isn't the problem, in fact the process hasn't changed that much. Animation is still drawn by hand. Only the coloring is done digitally instead of physical paint back in the cel animation days. The problem is not the medium. The problem is the people who are incharge aren't that good and the few good ones are rushed.

As for the music, Kikuchi is old and pretty much retired so he isn't coming back, but I agree that Sumitomo's garbage needs to go the hell away. Get Takaki Hiroshi dammit!

As for blood, Super is playing it safe. The producers are playing it safe cause they want their show released internationally without any problems.
Also, maybe it has something to do with the time slot which is kid-friendly, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

So, if Dragon Ball wants to be better it needs a complete change in the core staff and a better schedule. Neither of them are happening anytime soon sadly.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Yamamuro's character designs are not good and is too mechanical which doesn't help. The only way Dragon Ball designs can improve is if Yamamuro steps down as CD. You might want to check the animation thread in the Super section. You'll see that the majority wants Yamamuro to step down. It's a problem that everyone knows at this point.

Same problem with the color palette, the current color designer of Super Katou Yoshitaka, I'd say is doing a much better job than the previous one Hotta Teppei, but the quality still isn't up to the mark which I assume is due to the horrible schedule.

The standards changing isn't the problem, in fact the process hasn't changed that much. Animation is still drawn by hand. Only the coloring is done digitally instead of physical paint back in the cel animation days. The problem is not the medium. The problem is the people who are incharge aren't that good and the few good ones are rushed.

As for the music, Kikuchi is old and pretty much retired so he isn't coming back, but I agree that Sumitomo's garbage needs to go the hell away. Get Takaki Hiroshi dammit!

As for blood, Super is playing it safe. The producers are playing it safe cause they want their show released internationally without any problems.
Also, maybe it has something to do with the time slot which is kid-friendly, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

So, if Dragon Ball wants to be better it needs a complete change in the core staff and a better schedule. Neither of them are happening anytime soon sadly.
Actually we could have a complete change in the core staff, if they all dropped dead mysteriously, and to get some people to replace them, Toei has to wait a while, meaning that Dragon Ball Super has a better schedule as well :D We all win, in that regard!!!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 am

I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of replacing staff. If I remember right, the industry usually hurts for consistent work what with talent spread out everywhere, especially when it comes to securing said individuals. That would likely affect everyone in the industry instead of improving the environment. As they say, good workers don't come from thin air. There's also the matter of if they wish to work on Dragon Ball Super. Replaced staff usually fails in its appeal to attract others as it'll appear unhealthy. It's not the greatest look if the production seems cursed, no matter how long their hiatus lasts. And then there's the factor that it'll be abruptly pulled from television, necessitating alternate methods to keep Dragon Ball in the public's eye (television is substantial for that purpose). It's creating more issues than solutions.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:53 am

Nejishiki wrote:I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of replacing staff. If I remember right, the industry usually hurts for consistent work what with talent spread out everywhere, especially when it comes to securing said individuals. That would likely affect everyone in the industry instead of improving the environment. As they say, good workers don't come from thin air. There's also the matter of if they wish to work on Dragon Ball Super. Replaced staff usually fails in its appeal to attract others as it'll appear unhealthy. It's not the greatest look if the production seems cursed, no matter how long their hiatus lasts. And then there's the factor that it'll be abruptly pulled from television, necessitating alternate methods to keep Dragon Ball in the public's eye (television is substantial for that purpose). It's creating more issues than solutions.
Damn I thought that, that was the solution, clearly real life is far more complicated than imagination. :D

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:57 am

Wanting a replacement in core staff is wishful thinking, I know that. It's not happening. I also mentioned the schedule and with it being very bad the good staff might not want to work on it. Super is screwed at its base. It is not going to recover from it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 am

Some of the Boo arc style was pretty damn nice looking.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:18 pm

sangofe wrote:Some of the Boo arc style was pretty damn nice looking.
I'd say the Majin Boo arc is the only arc in all of the anime franchise where it was consistently good from start to finish.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

All of the original Dragon Ball had good animation by today's standards and out-of-this-world animation by Japanese standards yet gets no recognition.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:25 pm

floofychan333 wrote:All of the original Dragon Ball had good animation by today's standards and out-of-this-world animation by Japanese standards yet gets no recognition.
Eh, no. It was alright, but Dragon Ball was never well known for its animation by any standards. It had his moments, but it was an average long running show for the most part.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:All of the original Dragon Ball had good animation by today's standards and out-of-this-world animation by Japanese standards yet gets no recognition.
Eh, no. It was alright, but Dragon Ball was never well known for its animation by any standards. It had his moments, but it was an average long running show for the most part.
I don't recall any janky animation like you see in Super and it never pulled anime's classic animation scheme: showing the backs of characters' heads while they're talking so you don't actually have to animate anything. Also, the art styles between Dragon Ball's episodes did vary but not as noticeably as they did in DBZ.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:34 pm

floofychan333 wrote: I don't recall any janky animation like you see in Super and it never pulled anime's classic animation scheme: showing the backs of characters' heads while they're talking so you don't actually have to animate anything. Also, the art styles between Dragon Ball's episodes did vary but not as noticeably as they did in DBZ.
Oh, you were referring to part 1 Dragon Ball, my bad. I was kind of referring to the entire series Z included. Part 1 was more consistent than Z I agree. But, except for the Tenkaichi Budoukais, it was never that animation demanding. It was alright for what it was.

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Dragonball animation peaked with movie 12 & 13. Movies 5, 8, and 10 are also very good, but 12 & 13 are noticeably better. In my opinion.

I do not like the new overly bright & cartoon'ish look that they've arrived at now. Even in Resurrection F and Battle of God's, it still doesn't look nearly as good as the older films do. It's unfortunate and I don't see it changing unless there is a drastic shakeup in the staff and significantly more time & money is given to the animation team.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I'll take whoever is good, but what I really want is a return of Hayashi Yuuki as a character designer and animation supervisor. The level of joy from Hayashi and the others' drawings for Nippon Ijin Taishou makes me cry tears of joy.

floofychan333 wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
I don't recall any janky animation like you see in Super and it never pulled anime's classic animation scheme: showing the backs of characters' heads while they're talking so you don't actually have to animate anything. Also, the art styles between Dragon Ball's episodes did vary but not as noticeably as they did in DBZ.
No, it just reused animation over and over, had boring layouts, horrifically poor coloring sense and longer than sin pans at boring angles. Dragon Ball was allowed 3,500 drawings and 300 cuts an episode, just like damn near every other long-running cartoon. If there's one thing Dragon Ball Super is definitely an improvement on it's the layouts and shot rhythm being much better.

Now if only we had the level of directing that Shin Seiki Evangelion had. Those later episodes are the best storyboards I've ever seen for dialogue scenes.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:38 am

floofychan333 wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Eh, no. It was alright, but Dragon Ball was never well known for its animation by any standards. It had his moments, but it was an average long running show for the most part.
No, it just reused animation over and over, had boring layouts, horrifically poor coloring sense and longer than sin pans at boring angles. Dragon Ball was allowed 3,500 drawings and 300 cuts an episode, just like damn near every other long-running cartoon. If there's one thing Dragon Ball Super is definitely an improvement on it's the layouts and shot rhythm being much better.

Now if only we had the level of directing that Shin Seiki Evangelion had. Those later episodes are the best storyboards I've ever seen for dialogue scenes.[/quote]

Dragon Ball's colours are different from the manga colours but they're certainly not horrifically poor. And it didn't reuse animation any more than DBZ did.