I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Asura wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
What I am basically saying is that the Ultra Instinct we have seen so far would have worked the exact same way no matter who had it.

Goku was not the entertainment, Ultra Instinct was.
That sounds really silly. That's like saying SSJ Goku on Namek wasn't entertaining, it was just the SSJ part, no one was actually excited for Goku. Hell you could literally say this for any and every single transformation.
It is like saying Superman's power is cool,but not Superman himself.
Pretty sure that people who like UI Goku aren't liking it solely because they find the power of UI cool/interesting. It's a new transformation for Goku so regardless of what it does people will be excited for it because it's Goku.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Asura wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Asura wrote:
That sounds really silly. That's like saying SSJ Goku on Namek wasn't entertaining, it was just the SSJ part, no one was actually excited for Goku. Hell you could literally say this for any and every single transformation.
It is like saying Superman's power is cool,but not Superman himself.
Pretty sure that people who like UI Goku aren't liking it solely because they find the power of UI cool/interesting. It's a new transformation for Goku so regardless of what it does people will be excited for it because it's Goku.
But, there are people right now who will say that is not case for them. They just like to hate on characters because others are doing so as well.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Asura wrote: He's too damn goofy in all of those arcs though. He has his serious moments but they're always outshined by the amount of goofiness and excitability that's over exaggerated in Super. He acts too much like a child.

Goku forgot the senzu, the mafuba pot in the time machine, forgot what kissing is, forgot what Rosé was called right after hearing it, and I'd say it's half his fault for forgetting that the mafuba needs a seal and he never got one.
Being too goofy in some parts isn’t really the same as ‘he’s never serious’. Especially when Goku’s goof moments happens in an episode or two, while being mostly serious the rest of the time.

He didn’t forget the pot. He thought Vegeta had it and he rushed out of the Time Machime to begin with because he was looking for Trunks, who they didn’t know was even still alive. He also didn’t forget what kissing was. He said he never kiss his wife, which isn’t the same thing and have nothing to do with being goofy.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:23 pm

HeroR wrote:
Asura wrote: He's too damn goofy in all of those arcs though. He has his serious moments but they're always outshined by the amount of goofiness and excitability that's over exaggerated in Super. He acts too much like a child.

Goku forgot the senzu, the mafuba pot in the time machine, forgot what kissing is, forgot what Rosé was called right after hearing it, and I'd say it's half his fault for forgetting that the mafuba needs a seal and he never got one.
Being too goofy in some parts isn’t really the same as ‘he’s never serious’. Especially when Goku’s goof moments happens in an episode or two, while being mostly serious the rest of the time.

He didn’t forget the pot. He thought Vegeta had it and he rushed out of the Time Machime to begin with because he was looking for Trunks, who they didn’t know was even still alive. He also didn’t forget what kissing was. He said he never kiss his wife, which isn’t the same thing and have nothing to do with being goofy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP1qXTotvg0

You should watch Ajay's video on Goku's characterization in Super and how he's a caricature of his former self (this was made before the ToP arc, right after the FT arc finished). Why would Vegeta have it if Goku is the one who brought it along and he's the one who's going to be using the Mafuba? It doesn't even make sense.

I'd say that Goku not knowing what kissing is after living for 40+ years and having two children, and also a grandchild, is absolutely goofy and ridiculous. You're telling me Chi-Chi never tried to kiss him on the lips even once? Even when they were, as Goku would probably put it, "makin' babies"?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Asura wrote:
HeroR wrote:

You should watch Ajay's video on Goku's characterization in Super and how he's a caricature of his former self (this was made before the ToP arc, right after the FT arc finished). Why would Vegeta have it if Goku is the one who brought it along and he's the one who's going to be using the Mafuba? It doesn't even make sense.

I'd say that Goku not knowing what kissing is after living for 40+ years and having two children, and also a grandchild, is absolutely goofy and ridiculous. You're telling me Chi-Chi never tried to kiss him on the lips even once? Even when they were, as Goku would probably put it, "makin' babies"?
Goku has been pretty serious for most of the TOP arc. But, Goku is still Goku.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Asura wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I watched Ajay’s video and I happened not to agree for the reasons I named. And even Ajay made it a point to say Goku acted up in certain parts, not an entire saga. And he thought Vegeta had it because Vegeta was the last one out and he was looking for Trunks.

He knows what kissing is and he never did it with his wife. And even if he didn’t, that have nothing to do with him being goofy. A similar joke was used in Dr. Slump and that’s just typical Toriyama’s humor.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Why do you guys take so seriously the kissing thing?
It's just a poor and forgettable joke.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:49 pm

wolflonnie wrote:Why do you guys take so seriously the kissing thing?
Not that forgettable.
Kanassa wrote:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:13 pm

I don't think it was the joke itself but rather the accumulation of retarded caricatural moments we had to suffer really through tons of episodes, then we kinda reached some climax with the kiss, the cherry on the top, the ultimante banjo, let the dogs out lol

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote: But at the end of the day, Dragon Ball is still Goku's life story. There is nothing that is going to change that anytime soon.
Z focused on other characters. Super has NO excuse.
But, Super has focused on other characters like Vegeta, Gohan, 17, Krillin,Trunks, even Freeza of all people. Goku may be the main character , but others have gotten more development than him. Super isn't the best, but don't say they didn't do anything for other characters.
Vegeta? Well yeah he's the only other relevant Z fighter in Super. Gohan? Lolno. They've shafted him most of this series. 17 got a couple episodes I suppose. Krillin? Bullshit. The few moments he gets attention he's treated like a loser. Trunks was a thing for the only half decent arc of the show (with a shit ending though). And Frieza, even though I hate the fucker and wish he wasn't here, I have to say he's underutilized. His only actual fight was against Gohan. Why the hell do people think he's the highlight of the arc? And don't ignore all the characters who've been neglected or even shat on like Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Piccolo, Buu, Gohan, Krillin, Gotenks, Cabba, and even Hit.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Z focused on other characters. Super has NO excuse.
But, Super has focused on other characters like Vegeta, Gohan, 17, Krillin,Trunks, even Freeza of all people. Goku may be the main character , but others have gotten more development than him. Super isn't the best, but don't say they didn't do anything for other characters.
Vegeta? Well yeah he's the only other relevant Z fighter in Super. Gohan? Lolno. They've shafted him most of this series. 17 got a couple episodes I suppose. Krillin? Bullshit. The few moments he gets attention he's treated like a loser. Trunks was a thing for the only half decent arc of the show (with a shit ending though). And Frieza, even though I hate the fucker and wish he wasn't here, I have to say he's underutilized. His only actual fight was against Gohan. Why the hell do people think he's the highlight of the arc? And don't ignore all the characters who've been neglected or even shat on like Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Piccolo, Buu, Gohan, Krillin, Gotenks, Cabba, and even Hit.
Do you think everyone is underused except for Goku?
Majinwarman

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 am

How on Earth are you a Dragon Ball fan if you don't like Goku? That is a legitimate question. Why are you even here on this forum? How are you a fan of this show?

I see this all the time in other fandoms as well, that is, people disliking the main character of a certain show that they consider themselves to be big fans of. And I just...fundamentally do not understand how that can even be a thing. That statement doesn't even make sense to me. The FIRST criteria I have for whether or not I'll continue a show is "Do I like the main character?". If no, then I move on and quite watching.

How can you enjoy a show where you hate the character that is the PRIMARY FOCUS of the story, a character that typically gets like 75% of the screen time? Please, for the love of god, can someone explain this to me?
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I just can't excited at all for him. People say they liked him with Ultra Instinct but forget that the only good thing about it was the Ultra Instinct itself and not Goku. Anyone would have acted the same as him and he is just a host for the actual 'cool' bit.
I think you need to speak for yourself on that one. Most people ARE excited specifically because it's Goku that is achieving Ultra Instinct. People would not be this hyped to watch Android 18 use the form. The fact that we're watching Goku do the cool thing is part of the fun.
Lol seriously. That was a simple, isolated throwaway line that was written specifically for a funny gag. I don't understand why people put so much stock into a line created by one writer to be a 2 second joke.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 am

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote: But, Super has focused on other characters like Vegeta, Gohan, 17, Krillin,Trunks, even Freeza of all people. Goku may be the main character , but others have gotten more development than him. Super isn't the best, but don't say they didn't do anything for other characters.
Except for him, Vegeta, and the universe 6 saiyan girls, pretty much. Oh, and Roshi was used pretty well. The androids vs kamikaze fireballs thing was also handled alright. Fingers crossed for next weeks episode also.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:30 am

Artorias wrote:How on Earth are you a Dragon Ball fan if you don't like Goku? That is a legitimate question. Why are you even here on this forum? How are you a fan of this show?

I see this all the time in other fandoms as well, that is, people disliking the main character of a certain show that they consider themselves to be big fans of. And I just...fundamentally do not understand how that can even be a thing. That statement doesn't even make sense to me. The FIRST criteria I have for whether or not I'll continue a show is "Do I like the main character?". If no, then I move on and quite watching.

How can you enjoy a show where you hate the character that is the PRIMARY FOCUS of the story, a character that typically gets like 75% of the screen time? Please, for the love of god, can someone explain this to me?
Well for one, most of the hate here is directed specificly for Dragon Ball Super's version of Goku. Goku fine in DB, DBZ, and even in DBGT. Also, Goku wasn't actually around that much in DBZ. It was mostly following Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta. Goku was often just the guy that would swoop in to fight the big bad at the end. It also doesn't help that Super often shoves Goku in our faces without giving the other characters any time in the spotlight. When one character is so solely the focus, we get sick of him.
Lol seriously. That was a simple, isolated throwaway line that was written specifically for a funny gag. I don't understand why people put so much stock into a line created by one writer to be a 2 second joke.
A joke that didn't land and was sorta the straw that broke the camels back in terms of Goku's shitty characterization in DBS. He's been degraded to being more childish than even his actual child self.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:35 am

Artorias wrote:How on Earth are you a Dragon Ball fan if you don't like Goku? That is a legitimate question. Why are you even here on this forum? How are you a fan of this show?

I don't think people here have problem with Goku but rather problems with his characterization in DBS specifically lol
It is because they actually like the character that they complain about him in Super lol
Back during FTrunks arc I was also complaining about him but to be perfectly fair it's been a little while he's being OK now lol

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:47 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Vegeta? Well yeah he's the only other relevant Z fighter in Super. Gohan? Lolno. They've shafted him most of this series. 17 got a couple episodes I suppose. Krillin? Bullshit. The few moments he gets attention he's treated like a loser. Trunks was a thing for the only half decent arc of the show (with a shit ending though). And Frieza, even though I hate the fucker and wish he wasn't here, I have to say he's underutilized. His only actual fight was against Gohan. Why the hell do people think he's the highlight of the arc? And don't ignore all the characters who've been neglected or even shat on like Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Piccolo, Buu, Gohan, Krillin, Gotenks, Cabba, and even Hit.
Except for him, Vegeta, and the universe 6 saiyan girls, pretty much. Oh, and Roshi was used pretty well. The androids vs kamikaze fireballs thing was also handled alright. Fingers crossed for next weeks episode also.
Hit has gotten the most character development in this series, who are not Saiyans, when it comes to new characters.
Majinwarman

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:

Well for one, most of the hate here is directed specificly for Dragon Ball Super's version of Goku. Goku fine in DB, DBZ, and even in DBGT. Also, Goku wasn't actually around that much in DBZ. It was mostly following Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta. Goku was often just the guy that would swoop in to fight the big bad at the end. It also doesn't help that Super often shoves Goku in our faces without giving the other characters any time in the spotlight. When one character is so solely the focus, we get sick of him.
Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I liked Goku ok, up till the u6 tournament.

I started to dislike him from the start of his fight with Hit. Where hes taking attacks in base that Vegeta SSB couldn't. That started a downward trend of overpowered absurdity and overexposure.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:16 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:

I don't think people here have problem with Goku but rather problems with his characterization in DBS specifically lol
It is because they actually like the character that they complain about him in Super lol
Back during FTrunks arc I was also complaining about him but to be perfectly fair it's been a little while he's being OK now lol
This. I honestly don't see much wrong with his characterization this saga though. He seems fine for the most part this saga.
TBMx wrote:I liked Goku ok, up till the u6 tournament.

I started to dislike him from the start of his fight with Hit. Where hes taking attacks in base that Vegeta SSB couldn't. That started a downward trend of overpowered absurdity and overexposure.
So you dislike him because he took attacks from a suppressed Hit? Like is it that hard to just know that Hit obviously suppressed himself? Goku tagged a suppressed Hit while Hit using far more power trashed SSB Vegeta. He would have done the same shit to SSB Goku had Goku fought first. Like there are better examples of Goku being "overpower" like the Zamasu instance which was pretty bad. Overexposure makes no sense here though.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Artorias wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:

Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?
I think due to this arc is about making Goku learn about the dangers of making friends with deitys. Also, I think Goku feels guilty a bit for eliminating people which causes universes to be destroyed.
Majinwarman