So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Post by precita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Looks like some of my fears of this tournament have come to pass, it's going to be mostly Goku-centered with all the other main characters largely being in the background and only taking out a few opponents. Most of the first episode focused on Goku (of our universe), and next weeks preview shows that as well.

The reason a lot of us actually got excited for this arc is it seemed like all the other main characters like Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, 17 and 18, Tenshinhan etc. were actually going to do something rather than stay on the sidelines like they had for all of Super. Besides Goku, we'll likely see focus on Vegeta and Freeza, and that will probably be it.

What was the point then of bringing everyone back?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Goku centered? He was barely featured for a main character in a shonen. I thought they did a great job showing diverse action.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

precita
Banned

Re: So the tournament is already too Goku-centered, why bring the older cast back?

Post by precita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:09 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Goku centered? He was barely featured for a main character in a shonen. I thought they did a great job showing diverse action.
Of our Universe 7, Goku is the only one that got any focus. We saw the other universes fighting each other, but I'm talking about our main characters.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:10 pm

One of the upcoming episode titles focuses on Krillin. So maybe they will eventually get to each character's moment.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:13 pm

precita wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Goku centered? He was barely featured for a main character in a shonen. I thought they did a great job showing diverse action.
Of our Universe 7, Goku is the only one that got any focus. We saw the other universes fighting each other, but I'm talking about our main characters.
Most likely because we just had a LOT of U7 episodes leading up and they wanted to showcase the other universe. Goku is always going to get screen time but I thought they managed it well enough.

Lets see how the next few episodes play out before we decide.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 pm

The focus was on a ton of characters from different universes . Even Basil got a better showing than Goku. There is way too many characters right now, Can we at least wait a couple of episodes before we decide that everyone was shafted?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:17 pm

You are literally basing this off of only 1 episode and a NEP of a tournament where only 1 minute has progressed out of 48. Don't you think it's way too soon to start complaining about Goku taking the spotlight?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Don't base your opinion on 1/48th's of the tournament. (That's like 2%)
Yeah, Goku gets cornered next episode; but I'm pretty sure the
episode titles after that are about Krillin and Kale.
:clap:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:31 am

Dude, what? This episode had focus on tons of different characters and universes. The show is always going to be centered around Goku since he's the main character, but there's no way in hell this tournament is Goku-centered so far. I think they showed every single member of U7 fighting too.

khazgore

Post by khazgore » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:39 am

to early to tell. but from my understanding it seems they will show every character getting knocked out of the ring.
however, i wished they showed more from frieza, vegeta and toppo this episode.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 am

Asura wrote:Dude, what? This episode had focus on tons of different characters and universes. The show is always going to be centered around Goku since he's the main character, but there's no way in hell this tournament is Goku-centered so far. I think they showed every single member of U7 fighting too.
They showed the other characters fight but it was all quick montages (like 18's fight against the female fighter), and all the rest of the cast did was stand in a circle and fire off single attacks that did nothing and just landed again. Most of the preview centered around Goku taking on those 5 fighters at once from the end of this episode.

We got basically 30 seconds of the other U7 fighters fighting. As I said I'm not talking about the random generic characters from all the other universes, they're not the main cast.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:22 am

The only real focus Goku got was to hint about the upcoming fight with Jiren. Which was slightly interrupted.

It's just the start of the tournament and you're already complaining. Going by the titles, it's VERY transparent that everyone is going to get there time to shine. Why throw a fit right now?
How i predict the tournament will end:

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:35 am

You gotta be more patient and wait to see how it plays out. Based on the titles of the next few episodes, others will definitely be focused...
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:38 am

Lol calm down, it's just the opening

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:42 am

If anything it was basil wankefest this episode..
Who would have thought the guy would get so much screen time
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:46 am

Yeah gotta echo the others here, barely a minute has past on the ToP, episode titles have shown the likes of Krillin getting focus to the point the episode would be named after them.

As others have also noted Goku was barely in the episode and only really featured towards the end. Next episode Bergamo said he was gonna come after Goku and that's what's happening but looks like him and Vegeta are teaming up.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:57 am

Goku wasn't a center of anything. lol

Too early to start making these statements much like how it's too early to analyse power scaling or guess how many eps this tournament will take.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

This is a Goku arc, of course it's Goku-centered.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:07 pm

He's the main character, after all. Anything he does, like blinking, will be focused on. Let's not forget that he kickstarted the tournament and is visibly the most excited of all fighters shown, so that adds to the focus. On a more serious note, Basil got more screen time than Goku as of episode 97, with Goku being the second most focused on, but it isn't saying much as character focus was fairly well distributed on.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Sorry but your complaint of THE MAIN CHARACTER getting some screen time in his own series makes no logical sense.