A way to make the ToP more impactful...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

A way to make the ToP more impactful...

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 am

Flashbacks I mean they can use the fighters for their reason for fighting other than for survival. Heck they can use the Kais and Angles to explain why their Universe fall so low in the rankings Toei is not giving us a reason to care for these universes anyways what do you guys think?
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A way to make the ToP more impactful...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:45 am

I agree that we need more reason to care. But that probably should have happened before the tournament started. Having constant flashbacks during would just get annoying.

Especially if certain character are just going to be thrown out like with little to no fanfare. Can you imagine having this extensive Flash back on Murichim only for him to get knocked out the way he did. It would arguably be even more disappointing.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 am

Boo Machine wrote:I agree that we need more reason to care. But that probably should have happened before the tournament started. Having constant flashbacks during would just get annoying.

Especially if certain character are just going to be thrown out like with little to no fanfare. Can you imagine having this extensive Flash back on Murichim only for him to get knocked out the way he did. It would arguably be even more disappointing.
This. Should've been built up beforehand.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 am

The way toei does the ToP is not bad iff the universes are somehow brought back. If they can't be retrieved then it is a major disappointment

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:36 am

I haven't been all too impressed with the characterisation of a lot of alternate universe's participants so far. Many of them have been portrayed as a collection of cackling sadistic deviants who don't seem to grasp the direness of this tournament. How else can you explain Napapa and Methiop deciding to effectively torture Kale rather than ring her out immediately? She's just a meek struggling participant from an unknown universe. What they did was completely unnecessary and spoke to some deep-rooted savagery felt on their part for feeling the need to inflict physical agony on a stranger just for amusement's sake.

The Pride Troopers have been fairly decent all around. I appreciate them for their camaraderie and ease of teamwork use with one another. Universe 9 was another group who, despite having an ample amount of inappropriate arrogance mingled together with needless capering while talking about wanting to cut up Vegeta's face on Hop's part, still expressed some degree of concern and cohesiveness with one another. Not much can be said for most of the other participant scenes besides Hit's protectiveness of his teammates. I can understand it being difficult to formulate whole organic new personalities for over sixty new characters, but portraying them as sensible, earnest or something less than harshly cruel in general shouldn't require too much pre-planning or resource allocation.

Providing flashbacks for so many different characters may not be feasible. Instead, what they could have done is pan to other universe teams interacting with one another -- allow us to catch a glimpse on how they interact with one another and what their thought process may be.

Vegeta123
Banned

Post by Vegeta123 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Lionel wrote:I haven't been all too impressed with the characterisation of a lot of alternate universe's participants so far. Many of them have been portrayed as a collection of cackling sadistic deviants who don't seem to grasp the direness of this tournament. How else can you explain Napapa and Methiop deciding to effectively torture Kale rather than ring her out immediately? She's just a meek struggling participant from an unknown universe. What they did was completely unnecessary and spoke to some deep-rooted savagery felt on their part for feeling the need to inflict physical agony on a stranger just for amusement's sake.

The Pride Troopers have been fairly decent all around. I appreciate them for their camaraderie and ease of teamwork use with one another. Universe 9 was another group who, despite having an ample amount of inappropriate arrogance mingled together with needless capering while talking about wanting to cut up Vegeta's face on Hop's part, still expressed some degree of concern and cohesiveness with one another. Not much can be said for most of the other participant scenes besides Hit's protectiveness of his teammates. I can understand it being difficult to formulate whole organic new personalities for over sixty new characters, but portraying them as sensible, earnest or something less than harshly cruel in general shouldn't require too much pre-planning or resource allocation.

Providing flashbacks for so many different characters may not be feasible. Instead, what they could have done is pan to other universe teams interacting with one another -- allow us to catch a glimpse on how they interact with one another and what their thought process may be.
you're kididng right.....the pride troopers that lost were nothing but jobbers and a copy of the ginyu force....didnt even last more than an episode.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Flashbacks would've been helpful, but I also feel they should've focused more on these other universes during the preparation episodes rather than re-introduce Uni 7's team who we already know inside and out, or spend an inordinate amount of time on the Uni 6 saiyan trio.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Nah, flashbacks would just be really annoying. They should have picked out at least one person from each universe and gone a little bit into who they are, what their deal is, etc. during the recruitment episodes. They had a great chance to do this with Murichim, Narirama, etc. but they dropped the ball hard on those characters. Getting rid of those characters without even so much as a line of dialogue or a fight was definitely the stupidest decision they've made in this tournament thus far. They should have all been fleshed out to the level of the Trio de Dangeres, who we still didn't know too much about but they got a good amount of screen time to show off their personalities and abilities.