Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Arg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 am

gohan_black wrote:terrible at the erasing moment, they reused the same scene from u9 episode and there was no comment from anyone about the erasing. youl think that with gowasu knows goku and vegeta they would react somehow. or at least shin. but no
The reactions are probably coming next episode, just like it was when u9 got erased.
Saturnine wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Saturnine wrote: Goku and Gohan end numerous battles with a Kamehameha, it's all good. Piccolo uses the Hellzone Grenade more than once, everyone loses their shit :lol:

That was the point, it wasn't Piccolo. We see Rozie (?) use it before him, and that move was kinda unique to him. Granted, the idea behind the move isn't so complicated that only he could come up with it, but still, you can't help but think they didn't bother to put more thought into creative ways the others could fight.
Yeah, her technique was indeed a touch too similar. But I wouldn't complain anyway - it's within the realm of plausibility that she independently came up with a similar form of attack. Also, the episode introduced a quite unique style of feints in the form of Obuni, so it's not all that bad. Of course it could have been better but oh well.
What bothers me more is that the exact same technique was also used by the pride trooper in tha Kale/Caulifla episode...

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 am

Arg wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Michsi wrote:

That was the point, it wasn't Piccolo. We see Rozie (?) use it before him, and that move was kinda unique to him. Granted, the idea behind the move isn't so complicated that only he could come up with it, but still, you can't help but think they didn't bother to put more thought into creative ways the others could fight.
Yeah, her technique was indeed a touch too similar. But I wouldn't complain anyway - it's within the realm of plausibility that she independently came up with a similar form of attack. Also, the episode introduced a quite unique style of feints in the form of Obuni, so it's not all that bad. Of course it could have been better but oh well.
What bothers me more is that the exact same technique was also used by the pride trooper in tha Kale/Caulifla episode...
But it's not really a technique, they are energy balls. It's like a strategy. But, yeah, three times this tournament, it's enough. Consider also that there are a lot of characters, I read someone complaining that they wasted a cool technique in a nobody like Opni. They have to balance it a bit, although there are repetitions, we are having a good variety in overall.
Last edited by Basako on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heno heno kappa!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 am

First half was kind of boring, second half thankfully picked up a lot. Piccolo is just so cool! So a whole 10 mins have passed? So two erasures per 10 mins?
I think Goku is obviously purposely dropping his guard.

Next week looks fun! Though still reserved about the whole SSG explanation... We'll see!

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 am

Do fans who enjoy these type of episodes just lower their standards that much?
Goku should've been able to take that magical girl out within seconds, similar to how he handles enemies in the movies. Did 17 really need to protect Goku from those weak Ki blasts (Copied Hellzone Grenade?) All to create stupid illogical tension?

The fight with Gohan was decent before he went Ultimate and even the transformation was lacklustered to fuck. Shoutout to the Gohan vs Dabura fight, now that created real tension. Gohan gettin' overpowered and turning Super Saiyan in an epic way? This is why Super needs to step up its game. It's basically the same shit over and over again. I knew that Kamehameha would've ko'd him lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuMvLFpgwkI

I liked the part where Gohan saw the family picture, that felt like something that was needed.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 am

Ziegander wrote:I was honestly quite surprised Gohan didn't turn to the Omni-King and shout "Zeno-Sama, stop!!" possibly even firing a ki blast at the Zenos raised hands. Or, perhaps smarter, and more in his character, Gohan might have fell to his knees and said something like, "Omni-Kings, please, don't do this!!" before Universe 10 was erased. Leave it at that. No further begging or monologue about morality. Zeno hesitates for a moment, maybe Gohan even gets rebuked (smacked down? sealed in Hakai-energy temporarily? disqualified? #rekt?) for his comment, but the Zenos erase Universe 10 anyway without exchanging a single word with the young, half-Saiyan. Very surprised nothing of that sort happened.
I REALLY wish they would do something like that.

One of my overriding dislikes of this arc is how everyone seems so insouciant about the universe erasures.

I mean, yeah, Xeno is all powerful (though seems incapable of doing anything more than destroy) but really? I mean, if you're going to get erased anyway why not challenge those nasty little shits? At least throw a few harsh words their way? A sarcastic comment like 'well, sorry us mere mortals failed to amuse your tiny mind - fine, erase us - but what then? What will you do when this is over and there is nothing left to keep you entertained you pathetic child thing?' Seriously - speaking in terms of someone who is about to be erased, along with everyone and everything in their universe, would they REALLY care about throwing an insult at the spiteful little shits who finds the whole thing entertaining.

Sadly, so far everyone's reaction has been a rather too accepting 'oh well, that's that then'.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 am

sintzu wrote:Just as bad as last week's. It looks like next week will be good though, at least I hope so.

Couldn't they have done more with the choreography ? I know not every fight can be detailed but so far we haven't gotten one good fight and we're over 10 episodes in. A great arc on paper (the manga will most likely nail it) but for Toei it's so fara mess.

And why is Goku forced into every scene ? they can't leave someone a lone for a second without switching to Goku like people will forget about him or something.
This should be Goku vs Fodder In this Tournament, realistically speaking lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4eH1x4FAc

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 am

This episode was great, especially the 2nd half.
I would have preferred it if Goku ringed out the Fireball girl but it seems they still have some plans for her. I really like how now not only 17 but also Goku is picking up new styles from the other fighters. I hope this trend continues as I would like to see Goku trying different things.

Obuni was awesome, I really liked him and his martial artist attitude. His technique was also very cool and interesting. The moment Gohan saw his locket I felt sad for Obuni.

I would like to see the Gods or fighters insulting Zeno or even trying to attack him before getting erased. I wonder why no one has dared yet.

Oh, I forgot we finally saw someone not from U7 or U6 (other than Basil) getting a elimination. Thank god, Yardratian.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

The fight with Gohan and the gummy bear was just ugh.

This episode was saved by Gohan and the other guy. Obuni, was it?

Gohan's scene with the locket was nice. Mainly because it showed me that the writers remember that what is happening is basically mass universal genocide for the enjoyment of a retarded Omni-god. Good to see that Gohan acknowledges that this whole thing sucks. Donkey. Balls.

Piccolo's fight was ok, but fast. I liked it because it fell in line with the ARC sys video game, where Piccolo is shown to be 'bad' in melee, but great in energy attacks. I like it when a fighter has pros and cos, rather than show that he's basically better (or worse) in EVERYTHING than his opponent.

17 shielding Goku was nice, always good to see teamwork.

WHERE. THE FUCK. IS FRIEZA !??!?! What is my man doing? I demand to see him beat up other fighters!
Last edited by Nickolaidas on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

Episode was ok, finally 17 shows some interesting interactions rather than his "calm monotone" shit he has going on, loved how he was being playful and trolling Ribbriane.
Funny how 17 got treated as a bad guy like how Goku was treated when he faced Toppo and how Goku literally just said the exact same thing 17 did last ep.
17 is slowly becoming one of the best characters this arc, makes me sad why he wasnt included in BoG,RF,U6 and Black arc... he coulda been great there and added more spice to the gang.
Piccolo and Gohan finally got their time to shine, and the finishing touch of Gohan seeing the guy he defeated was fighting for the same reason he was... for his family.
Cus was actually quite sad when her universe got destroyed... unlike a certain angel who giggled.
Gohan's reaction and pause after witnessing what just happened really stings... for a time period I actually felt sadness.
The amounts of reused animations are getting on my nerves.
Finally NEP Goku's best form (SSJG) makes a comeback! its been a long wait.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:27 am

:(

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 am

precita wrote:Goku flat out said he was studying the girls' fighting style.
Why ? he's arguably the smartest fighter on the field, what could he learn from her ?
Saturnine wrote:Why is everyone forgetting how Majin Vegeta knocked him out?
He thought the fight was over, now for some reason he lowers his gaurd with everyone.
HybridSaiyan wrote:

The tournament would've been over by now if we got that Goku.
HybridSaiyan wrote:Do fans who enjoy these type of episodes just lower their standards that much?
My standards are at their lowest and I'm still disappointed by this arc. I really hope the manga can save it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:44 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:

How many times are you going to make this point? Goku's just enjoying himself, he's been very anxious for this event.

Him just staring in the abyss with a serious look on his face and standing in place isn't interesting, taking people out in one hit isn't either.
He's not going to be like movie Goku, and you'll have to learn to get over that.
:clap:

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:47 am

Yomi wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:

How many times are you going to make this point? Goku's just enjoying himself, he's been very anxious for this event.

Him just staring in the abyss with a serious look on his face and standing in place isn't interesting, taking people out in one hit isn't either.
He's not going to be like movie Goku, and you'll have to learn to get over that.
He's taking people out in one hit because his power is far above them. The same should be happening in this tournament, don't you think? As someone titled on a topic, the stakes couldn't be any higher so he shouldn't be enjoying himself to this degree.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am

But I really like how they're playing up the atrocity of erasing the universes. The locket scene and Cus' grieving really got me down this time.

It has to lead to some sort of breaking point for the characters. I'm sure after several universes have been consecutively erased, some fighters are going to scream out in terror and appeal to the Zen-ohs to make it stop, because it's atrocious. The final few battles are definitely going to be tearful and tear up the fighters inside. That's also why I'm certain that the final fighter remaining will first restore the universes with the Super DBs, and then appeal to the Zen-ohs that it's not the way to do things, that every universe can develop high enough given enough time (lesson learned - the Kaioshins and Hakaishins need to apply themselves much more), and that all life is sacred.

Oh, and if the universes are preserved, Zen-ohs will be able to host another event this fun in the future. That's probably what will convince them to let the restoration slide.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am

Yomi wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:

Where is Vegeta, Frieza, Jiren, Toppo? 103 not one of them had a scene
All we see Goku clowning around 5+ minutes in every ToP Episode so far, needs to be involved in everything and hogging spotlight.

Fuck that!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Do fans who enjoy these type of episodes just lower their standards that much?
Goku should've been able to take that magical girl out within seconds, similar to how he handles enemies in the movies. Did 17 really need to protect Goku from those weak Ki blasts (Copied Hellzone Grenade?) All to create stupid illogical tension?

The fight with Gohan was decent before he went Ultimate and even the transformation was lacklustered to fuck. Shoutout to the Gohan vs Dabura fight, now that created real tension. Gohan gettin' overpowered and turning Super Saiyan in an epic way? This is why Super needs to step up its game. It's basically the same shit over and over again. I knew that Kamehameha would've ko'd him lol.

I liked the part where Gohan saw the family picture, that felt like something that was needed.
The Gohan fight this episode was better than Gohan vs Dabura due to the fact Obuni is somewhat of threat to Gohan due to having a unique ability, with the only counter being to take damage in order to dish it out, also there was no tension in Gohan vs Dabura by design.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 am

sintzu wrote:
Why ? he's arguably the smartest fighter on the field, what could he learn from her ?
Aspects of her Yacchaina Ken, probably. There are things in her fighting style that would benefit him if he incorporated them into his.
Or he's doing it out of curiosity or his love for martial arts.
HybridSaiyan wrote: He's taking people out in one hit because his power is far above them. The same should be happening in this tournament, don't you think? As someone titled on a topic, the stakes couldn't be any higher so he shouldn't be enjoying himself to this degree.
Well that's just the type of guy he is, Goku's always enjoyed high stakes, because it gives him the best fights, as for this "fodder need to die instantly" point, I don't think they should be wasting characters from the top 10 of each universe like that, without at least displaying what makes them eligible for the tournament.
:clap:

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 am

sintzu wrote:
Saturnine wrote:Why is everyone forgetting how Majin Vegeta knocked him out?
He thought the fight was over, now for some reason he lowers his gaurd with everyone.
HybridSaiyan wrote:

The tournament would've been over by now if we got that Goku.
My standards are at their lowest and I'm still disappointed by this arc. I really hope the manga can save it.
He is smart because he never stops learning. He is also saving stamina, he totally has to save some for Jiren. There are fodders, but some are strong enough. There are some fast ring outs, those are the boring ones.
Heno heno kappa!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 am

Yomi wrote:I don't think they should be wasting characters from the top 10 of each universe like that, without at least displaying what makes them eligible for the tournament.
That's exactly what they're doing, these characters are getting thrown out left and right and we don't have a clue as to who they are or why we should care.

Wouldn't a better way to show what makes these characters special is to have them developed in seprate arcs before the torunament like what they did with U6 ? Wouldn't we have felt bad for U10 if those fighters helped against Zamasu ?
Basako wrote:He is saving stamina, he totally has to save some for Jiren.
Yet he used SsjB against U9.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 am

JazzMazz wrote:

The Gohan fight this episode was better than Gohan vs Dabura due to the fact Obuni is somewhat of threat to Gohan due to having a unique ability, with the only counter being to take damage in order to dish it out, also there was no tension in Gohan vs Dabura by design.
I think Dabura was more of a threat to Gohan than Obuni. Even after Gohan transformed into a SSJ, he was still having great difficulty keeping up. Dabura had his spit power, which is a lot more threatening.