I love the fact that U7 is dominating the tournament

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Re: I love the fact that U7 is dominating the tournament

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 am

Actually, the girl which was Mafuba'ed by Roshi could kick off someone offscrene, and it was revealed when Roshi explained that he was looking how fighters fight. But TOEI did not this. It really looks like, that fighters of other universes doing almost nothing on ToP.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
SuperHumanGod wrote:Fuck those annoying saiyan girls.
What? Caulifla rocks :mrgreen:
Caulifla and Kale are the future of Dragonball.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 am

Vegeta-Sama wrote:Caulifla and Kale are the future of Dragonball.
Don't forget Pan. ;)
Goten and Trunks should also be there somewhere lol

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

I'm of course of the opposite opinion, but after seeing your opinions/perspectives and that of many others, I'm starting to realize just why the tournament is the way it is. The Dragon Ball series has a large cast of characters that have built up their own respective followings. One of the most common complaints of GT and early DBS is that they focused too much on Goku. This tournament, stripping away all pretense, is really just a way to provide fanservice. Buu got to have a good showing against Basil in the exhibition match, Krillin got to assist with 2 KO's and acquire one on his own, 17 and 18 have gotten quite a few victories, Goku and Vegeta got to eliminate most of Universe 9, Freeza gets to be himself (minus the killing), and now Roshi got several wins. Piccolo and Tien will almost certainly get a couple wins in the coming weeks as well.

Is this a bad thing? It depends on who you ask, really. There are plenty of people that love this stuff, so I can't say it's not and be objectively right. The fact of the matter is that everyone's gonna have a different mindset when it comes to watching the show, and Toei is going for the "appeal to as many fans as possible" approach, which is respectable. This comes with the trade-off of having a rather weak narrative (one of the main problems with the tournament) while allowing for stronger character moments (the love for Roshi after this recent episode as an obvious example).

Now, speaking personally, I would rather the tournament be the complete opposite; that is, Universe 7 struggling to even stay afloat. I guess it all rings back to my love of fights like the Z Fighters vs. Nappa and Goku/Piccolo vs. Raditz, as well as to a line I remember from Battle of the Gods:

Beerus: "I am the destroyer of this universe, the seventh; there are twelve in total, some having spawned fighters even stronger than us [Beerus and Whis]."

When I think of that line, and then I think of a tournament of 80 fighters, 10 from 8 universes, I imagine all kinds of crazy, powerful combatants.

Instead, we get fighters like Nink and Caway.

Like I said, different people look for different things from the Dragon Ball franchise.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 am

Vegeta-Sama wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
SuperHumanGod wrote:Fuck those annoying saiyan girls.
Christ, I hope not.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am

Basako wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Basako wrote:Nah, it's to much, it's more than 90%. I expected more U7 time, but this is totally out of balance, it's almost a plothole. What about giving some fights and eliminations to Toppo, Dyspo, Ribrianne and so on, so we can see how powerful they are before they fight the U7 guys. What the fuck are all those guys doing in the arena? Waiting for Goku?
It's not like a plothole by any stretch of the imagination.
It's almost a plothole for me, although it's not. Let's say it's hard to explain with probability and logic that the other universes fighting each other don't result in any eliminations. More than 90% for U7. How the Hell does not Toppo eliminated anyone? What did the rest of the pride trooper's do until they fought U7? What did Ganos do until now? Why didn't this sorceress use her habilities to eliminate someone? What about Opni? What about sniper next episode? Ribrianne? No one does nothing until they find U7, then they are eliminated. Just U6 got something, a 5% of the 10% left, at least.
All guys like the Pride Troopers, Ganos, Darkori, Obuni, were obliviously fighting other people from other universes and not achieving much success considering they didn't eliminate anyone. Time doesn't stand still when anyone from Universe 7 is fighting someone else. We know that for a fact considering we see other fighters from other universe fighting each other in the first episode, and nothing has indicated so far that has stopped being the case. The narrative just chooses to focus on what Universe 7, and sometimes Universe 6, get up to the most.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Basako wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
It's not like a plothole by any stretch of the imagination.
It's almost a plothole for me, although it's not. Let's say it's hard to explain with probability and logic that the other universes fighting each other don't result in any eliminations. More than 90% for U7. How the Hell does not Toppo eliminated anyone? What did the rest of the pride trooper's do until they fought U7? What did Ganos do until now? Why didn't this sorceress use her habilities to eliminate someone? What about Opni? What about sniper next episode? Ribrianne? No one does nothing until they find U7, then they are eliminated. Just U6 got something, a 5% of the 10% left, at least.
All guys like the Pride Troopers, Ganos, Darkori, Obuni, were obliviously fighting other people from other universes and not achieving much success considering they didn't eliminate anyone. Time doesn't stand still when anyone from Universe 7 is fighting someone else. We know that for a fact considering we see other fighters from other universe fighting each other in the first episode, and nothing has indicated so far that has stopped being the case. The narrative just chooses to focus on what Universe 7, and sometimes Universe 6, get up to the most.
And yet those people showed next to no signs of fatigue by the time that they fought U7.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:53 am

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Basako wrote: It's almost a plothole for me, although it's not. Let's say it's hard to explain with probability and logic that the other universes fighting each other don't result in any eliminations. More than 90% for U7. How the Hell does not Toppo eliminated anyone? What did the rest of the pride trooper's do until they fought U7? What did Ganos do until now? Why didn't this sorceress use her habilities to eliminate someone? What about Opni? What about sniper next episode? Ribrianne? No one does nothing until they find U7, then they are eliminated. Just U6 got something, a 5% of the 10% left, at least.
And yet those people showed next to no signs of fatigue by the time that they fought U7.
Their most likely pacing themselves so they don't end up tired when they go up against opponents who them a real challenge.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 am

I'll have to say I certainly agree with the notion that this makes plenty of sense from an in-universe perspective; if the real world was dominated by some "Androids arc" style narrative, I'd half-expect most of these universes to pretty much vastly overshadow the non-God forms of Goku and Vegeta, 18, Krillin, etc. but that definitely wasn't the case, and I'm glad that Universe 7 isn't being made to look pathetically puny in comparison to its rival teams. Only a small handful of competitors are capable of breaking the God/Blue threshold, which is exactly how it should be from a general writing standpoint if you ask me.

That doesn't necessarily dispel the other concern that Universe 7 is sort of hogging the spotlight in terms of eliminating most of these newer characters though, but I honestly don't consider that to be much of an issue either. Authorially speaking, I really don't think the vast majority of viewers would be interested in watching two nobodies go at it -- moreover, it would sort of detract from all that time that could be allotted to having characters like Tien and Roshi get their well-deserved showings.

Whether any of this is well-executed is another story entirely (I'll contend that it really hasn't been in every episode) but I do quite agree with the general concept and direction of the arc.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 am

Makes sense. Some folks thought most characters would be on par with Goku/Vegeta. There really no proof that would be the case

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Vegeta-Sama wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Christ, I hope not.
U6 saiyans are clones of U7 saiyans in terms of personality but with even more bullshit power ups and their combat is pretty generic so far.I don't get the people that want them as protagonists.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Christ, I hope not.
U6 saiyans are clones of U7 saiyans in terms of personality but with even more bullshit power ups and their combat is pretty generic so far.I don't get the people that want them as protagonists.
Everyone loves Sayians so it shouldn't be that surprising.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm

U7 is so dominating that if Buu or Gotenks were there half the opponents would go down even faster.

I want U7 to destroy everyone. Literally the only threats are Toppo, Jiren, Dyspo, Hit, and Kale...and maybe Caulifa and Ribianne. Hell even most of Universe 6 is child's play for U7.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:If everyone else (even Roshi, dammit!) from U7 is gonna last this long, then I don't see the point of writing Krillin out of the story so soon. It's not like someone can't just plow through and take out half the U7 fighters at once whenever Toei gets ready.
Actually I think Jiren might end up doing just that.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Christ, I hope not.
Clones? Caulifla, Kale and Cabba have their own personalities.
They are the future if you guys like or not, they won´t go anywhere especially the girls.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: All guys like the Pride Troopers, Ganos, Darkori, Obuni, were obliviously fighting other people from other universes and not achieving much success considering they didn't eliminate anyone. Time doesn't stand still when anyone from Universe 7 is fighting someone else. We know that for a fact considering we see other fighters from other universe fighting each other in the first episode, and nothing has indicated so far that has stopped being the case. The narrative just chooses to focus on what Universe 7, and sometimes Universe 6, get up to the most.
Their most likely pacing themselves so they don't end up tired when they go up against opponents who them a real challenge.
I feel like this is contrary to what we saw with universe 10 where they were actually decently capable and eliminated others rather quickly. It's weird to have even more power characters than those getting zero eliminations against possibly even weaker foes.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 pm

precita wrote:U7 is so dominating that if Buu or Gotenks were there half the opponents would go down even faster.

I want U7 to destroy everyone. Literally the only threats are Toppo, Jiren, Dyspo, Hit, and Kale...and maybe Caulifa and Ribianne. Hell even most of Universe 6 is child's play for U7.
Kale, Caulifla and Ribrianne are crap. Dyspo has already been found out so he is finished.
Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: U6 saiyans are clones of U7 saiyans in terms of personality but with even more bullshit power ups and their combat is pretty generic so far.I don't get the people that want them as protagonists.
They are the future if you guys like or not, they won´t go anywhere especially the girls.
They are definitely not the future unless they want to damage the series.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:18 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:U7 is so dominating that if Buu or Gotenks were there half the opponents would go down even faster.

Kale, Caulifla and Ribrianne are crap. Dyspo has already been found out so he is finished.
Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote: Everyone loves Sayians so it shouldn't be that surprising.
They are crap? Great argument.
Cant wait to see Piccolo jobbing off screen... :lol: :lol: :lol:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Vegeta-Sama wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Vegeta-Sama wrote:
They are crap? Great argument.
Cant wait to see Piccolo jobbing off screen... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The real players on team Universe 6 are Hit and the Namekians and you can't wait for them.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:24 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote: And yet those people showed next to no signs of fatigue by the time that they fought U7.
Their most likely pacing themselves so they don't end up tired when they go up against opponents who are a real challenge.
I feel like this is contrary to what we saw with universe 10 where they were actually decently capable and eliminated others rather quickly. It's weird to have even more power characters than those getting zero eliminations against possibly even weaker foes.
I just think some of the characters from the other universes just intially went up against characters that had strength and/or abilities that canceled each other out. And because of that none of the other universes, apart from Universe 7 and Universe 6, have been able to rack up eliminations.