Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:He'll become a namekian god.

But the joke will be he'll still be weak as shit.
Everyone is weak in this tournament apart from Jiren and Goku. We can all draw random lines in the power order list to describe characters.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 am

I’m not expecting anything great for Piccolo, but I think it would be awesome if he saves U6 by merging with the Namekian duo after Kafla’s lost, at least for a while.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Nothing really implies that the show is setting up for Piccolo gaining a new transformation. It really seems more like wishful thinking from fans that Piccolo can still keep up with guys like Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, and to an extent Android 17, who have distanced themselves greatly from the rest of the cast in Universe 7 in the power hierarchy, and hope that Toriyama, Toei or Toyotaro can give the character something to latch onto and not fall behind too much and become inconsequential to the plot in later arcs. I think we're looking a bit too deeply into this. But on the other hand, Dragon Ball is notorious for handing out absurdly power-ups to the cast at any given time, especially with Super. So who knows. Super could throw Piccolo a bone and he could bring himself close the realm of the power of the heavy hitters in the central cast.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:Piccolo lacks any kind of substantive role. How else could you describe his participation in the Super series except as having the functionality of a disposable gastropodous fleshbag who's taken advantage of to demonstrate the power of this or that character? His shining moments in the series thus far have been surpassing expectations against the debilitated leavings of the Champa arc only to be shortchanged yet again and then demonstrating the Mafuba so Trunks can mimic it. I suppose there's also his integral role in enabling Gohan to reawaken his unlocked potential, but that's working towards the aim of emboldening someone else. What personal accomplishments can Piccolo say he's had in Super?

I've said this before but if the studio and Toyotaro aren't going to provide anything meaningful to Piccolo then they shouldn't persist in having him strut about like there's some potential significance to his appearing on the scene. He's fine the way he is? I'm not sure what constitutes as "fine", but it would be better if they chose to phase him along with everyone from the old class out if nothing is going to be offered to keep them relevant. Don't beat around the bush or put Piccolo into a role that inspires prospective hope from fans for something greater. If you ask me, I think it leaves a bad impression that only certain types of characters can achieve a maintainable degree of developmental success over the course of the story. Many avenues exist through which Piccolo could regain his footing with the Saiyans, but no one with the power to do something about it seems to be concerned enough to give it a try. So what does that leave other than the occasional scraps and exploitative guinea pig roles?
Stop exageratting everything and being so negative. If 17 can get a major power boost then so can Piccolo.

It is a matter of when and not if Piccolo gets a major power boost. They will not go on ignoring him when there are new Namekians.
Well what would you advise as an outlook we should take for such a possibility? Expectation? Anticipation? I'm sorry, but given the track record of the people in charge I feel inclined to side with the contrary. Is that a faulty conclusion to make, in your opinion? Just because one character has received an unexpected power increase doesn't mean that everyone else is guaranteed to acquire one as well. Nothing can really be said as alluding to a possible power increase for Piccolo in this tournament.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Lionel wrote:
Well what would you advise as an outlook we should take for such a possibility? Expectation? Anticipation? I'm sorry, but given the track record of the people in charge I feel inclined to side with the contrary. Is that a faulty conclusion to make, in your opinion? Just because one character has received an unexpected power increase doesn't mean that everyone else is guaranteed to acquire one as well. Nothing can really be said as alluding to a possible power increase for Piccolo in this tournament.
I didn't say he would get one during the tournament. There is only so long they will ignore Piccolo for and 17 coming back with a power up shows that Toriyama can potentially give any character a random power up.
Lord Beerus wrote:Nothing really implies that the show is setting up for Piccolo gaining a new transformation. It really seems more like wishful thinking from fans that Piccolo can still keep up with guys like Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, and to an extent Android 17, who have distanced themselves greatly from the rest of the cast in Universe 7 in the power hierarchy, and hope that Toriyama, Toei or Toyotaro can give the character something to latch onto and not fall behind too much and become inconsequential to the plot in later arcs. I think we're looking a bit too deeply into this. But on the other hand, Dragon Ball is notorious for handing out absurdly power-ups to the cast at any given time, especially with Super. So who knows. Super could throw Piccolo a bone and he could bring himself close the realm of the power of the heavy hitters in the central cast.
When the next arc comes I think Gohan, Frieza and 17 will not be around as they will be back doing what they were at the start of the arc. Piccolo won't have anything holding him back from being in an arc like the other 3 I mentioned.

I don't want Piccolo to fuse with other Namekians but if Toriyama doesn't provide another way for him to get stronger then I can easily picture a situation at some point in the future where either Toei or Toyotaro say to Toriyama that Piccolo should fuse with Universe 6 Namekians and he does it.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:58 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:Piccolo is not being set up to become “Nameccian God”. Why would you wanna introduce new Nameccians just to waste them? Also, why give Piccolo a power up? He doesn’t need one. Piccolo is fine the way he is. All of the characters are fine the way they are and don’t need to keep up with Gokuh and Vegeta. The series, from the beginning, has showed and has been telling us that no one can keep up with Gokuh because he’s a Saiyan and Saiyans love to fight and they have crazy fighting ability.
You are the one of the only people who think Piccolo does not need a power up since you need it in this series so you can at least participate in some big fights.

He should at least get some sort if big power up as 17, Gohan, Future Trunks and Frieza got one.

I don't want them to waste the Namekians either and I want the Red Eyed form introduced or something like that.
I don’t think I’m the only one but you don’t need such great power to participate in “big fights.” Piccolo doesn’t need to go up against Jiren, he doesn’t need to go up against Beerus, he doesn’t need to go up against Boo. Even though, Super doesn’t really show it but power is not the sole factor to winning. For the Tournament of Power, it’s based around skill and power. Piccolo has skill and power unlike Trunks and Goten. Even Kame-Sennin was chosen over Trunks and Goten even though he sorta lacks in the power part (even though he secretly trains.) All we need from Piccolo is participation, not defeating Jiren. He doesn’t need a power up like going from weaker than Boo, for example, to stronger than Vegeta or Golden Freeza. It’s not needed. Maybe not every race needs a god form like Super Saiyan God. These would get boring. We need characters that’re weaker than others and others stronger than others. Not everyone on the same level. One Piece does a great job at showing this. Gokuh will always be sorta ahead of Vegeta. Gohan would always be better than Gokuh and Vegeta because of his potential but he doesn’t like to fight. Characters need to be at a certain level, not have every character being able to fight Jiren.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:
I didn't say he would get one during the tournament. There is only so long they will ignore Piccolo for and 17 coming back with a power up shows that Toriyama can potentially give any character a random power up.
Lord Beerus wrote:Nothing really implies that the show is setting up for Piccolo gaining a new transformation. It really seems more like wishful thinking from fans that Piccolo can still keep up with guys like Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, and to an extent Android 17, who have distanced themselves greatly from the rest of the cast in Universe 7 in the power hierarchy, and hope that Toriyama, Toei or Toyotaro can give the character something to latch onto and not fall behind too much and become inconsequential to the plot in later arcs. I think we're looking a bit too deeply into this. But on the other hand, Dragon Ball is notorious for handing out absurdly power-ups to the cast at any given time, especially with Super. So who knows. Super could throw Piccolo a bone and he could bring himself close the realm of the power of the heavy hitters in the central cast.
When the next arc comes I think Gohan, Frieza and 17 will not be around as they will be back doing what they were at the start of the arc. Piccolo won't have anything holding him back from being in an arc like the other 3 I mentioned.

I don't want Piccolo to fuse with other Namekians but if Toriyama doesn't provide another way for him to get stronger then I can easily picture a situation at some point in the future where either Toei or Toyotaro say to Toriyama that Piccolo should fuse with Universe 6 Namekians and he does it.
Toriyama doesn’t follow the orders of Toei or Toyotarou or anyone else. They only suggest things and allow Toriyama to do whatever. Toyotarou seems to have a bigger role but he still suggests things. Piccolo does not need to assimilate with anymore Nameccians. That’s dumb. Also, who said Toriyama gave No. 17 the power up? Toei has given Trunks a whole new form that didn’t come from Toriyama. Maybe some characters need to be at a certain level? Piccolo is fine as a support character.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:He'll become a namekian god.

But the joke will be he'll still be weak as shit.
Everyone is weak in this tournament apart from Jiren and Goku. We can all draw random lines in the power order list to describe characters.
I wouldn’t say they’re all weak but weaker than Jiren and Gokuh even though these people are somewhat strong. Golden Freeza is equal to Gokuh

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Meshack wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:Piccolo is not being set up to become “Nameccian God”. Why would you wanna introduce new Nameccians just to waste them? Also, why give Piccolo a power up? He doesn’t need one. Piccolo is fine the way he is. All of the characters are fine the way they are and don’t need to keep up with Gokuh and Vegeta. The series, from the beginning, has showed and has been telling us that no one can keep up with Gokuh because he’s a Saiyan and Saiyans love to fight and they have crazy fighting ability.
You are the one of the only people who think Piccolo does not need a power up since you need it in this series so you can at least participate in some big fights.

He should at least get some sort if big power up as 17, Gohan, Future Trunks and Frieza got one.

I don't want them to waste the Namekians either and I want the Red Eyed form introduced or something like that.
I don’t think I’m the only one but you don’t need such great power to participate in “big fights.” Piccolo doesn’t need to go up against Jiren, he doesn’t need to go up against Beerus, he doesn’t need to go up against Boo. Even though, Super doesn’t really show it but power is not the sole factor to winning. For the Tournament of Power, it’s based around skill and power. Piccolo has skill and power unlike Trunks and Goten. Even Kame-Sennin was chosen over Trunks and Goten even though he sorta lacks in the power part (even though he secretly trains.) All we need from Piccolo is participation, not defeating Jiren. He doesn’t need a power up like going from weaker than Boo, for example, to stronger than Vegeta or Golden Freeza. It’s not needed. Maybe not every race needs a god form like Super Saiyan God. These would get boring. We need characters that’re weaker than others and others stronger than others. Not everyone on the same level. One Piece does a great job at showing this. Gokuh will always be sorta ahead of Vegeta. Gohan would always be better than Gokuh and Vegeta because of his potential but he doesn’t like to fight. Characters need to be at a certain level, not have every character being able to fight Jiren.
Piccolo has hardly had anything though in this tournament. For a character that actually wants to be in the tournament compared to others he has had very little. I just want to have a few memorable fights.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 pm

That's not exactly how it's worked at all and that would be an incredibly boring series. Just because you don't like the character doesn't mean it would be stupid for them to get a powerup. Piccolo is not even a support character as you stated, now he literally does nothing. You compared him to Android 17 well Piccolo was slightly above Android 17 in the past, there's no reason he can't get a huge power boost like he did.

You haven't made any points against him becoming a Namekian god except that you don't like the character or you think it's stupid and at this point you've kind of derailed the topic when people are replying solely to correct you/tell you you're wrong and you're not actually discussing the topic.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Man, threads like this are really depressing for me. On one hand, you have fans eager for Piccolo to be reinstated as one of the series' more powerful fighters, on the other hand, you have fans with this deep seated cynicism that believe those glory days of Goku thinking Piccolo could've been the one to defeat Freeza will never.ever.return.

Also, if he ever does get a power-up, I doubt it'll put him anywhere near the top saiyans. I mean, considering how bothered people are by the saiyans girls clearing power levels like crazy I can't imagine what the fandom will be like if Piccolo jumps over 5 ssj levels and two colors.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Michsi wrote:Man, threads like this are really depressing for me. On one hand, you have fans eager for Piccolo to be reinstated as one of the series' more powerful fighters, on the other hand, you have fans with this deep seated cynicism that believe those glory days of Goku thinking Piccolo could've been the one to defeat Freeza will never.ever.return.

Also, if he ever does get a power-up, I doubt it'll put him anywhere near the top saiyans. I mean, considering how bothered people are by the saiyans girls clearing power levels like crazy I can't imagine what the fandom will be like if Piccolo jumps over 5 ssj levels and two colors.
You know exactly where I sit with Piccolo and I ultimately feel it is only a matter of time before it is Piccolo's time to get the power up treatment from Toriyama unless Toriyama just stops doing Dragon Ball for some reason.

This is not me being bias but I think the fandom would go go crazy in a good way if he did get a power up like you mentioned. This is because people will be happy he has finally got a power up and because he doesn't get nowhere near as much hate as everyone else. It will also break the circle of the Saiyans at the top.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:01 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:Man, threads like this are really depressing for me. On one hand, you have fans eager for Piccolo to be reinstated as one of the series' more powerful fighters, on the other hand, you have fans with this deep seated cynicism that believe those glory days of Goku thinking Piccolo could've been the one to defeat Freeza will never.ever.return.

You know exactly where I sit with Piccolo and I ultimately feel it is only a matter of time before it is Piccolo's time to get the power up treatment from Toriyama unless Toriyama just stops doing Dragon Ball for some reason.

This is not me being bias but I think the fandom would go go crazy in a good way if he did get a power up like you mentioned. This is because people will be happy he has finally got a power up and because he doesn't get nowhere near as much hate as everyone else. It will also break the circle of the Saiyans at the top.
I also think way more people would be happy to see it happen, but it's precisely because of that that I sometimes also think there might be some deliberate
-for lack of a better word- blue balling going on here.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Wait I just thought of something. If Piccolo fused with the universe 6 Namekians and then universe 6 was erased, what would happen? Would they just... cease from being a part of him? Weird hypothetical. :think:

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:Wait I just thought of something. If Piccolo fused with the universe 6 Namekians and then universe 6 was erased, what would happen? Would they just... cease from being a part of him? Weird hypothetical. :think:
They cease to exist once Piccolo assimilates them,Namekian assimilation pretty much means Piccolo eats them both body and soul and turns them into a part of his own power.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Zagacious wrote:
That's not exactly how it's worked at all and that would be an incredibly boring series. Just because you don't like the character doesn't mean it would be stupid for them to get a powerup. Piccolo is not even a support character as you stated, now he literally does nothing. You compared him to Android 17 well Piccolo was slightly above Android 17 in the past, there's no reason he can't get a huge power boost like he did.

You haven't made any points against him becoming a Namekian god except that you don't like the character or you think it's stupid and at this point you've kind of derailed the topic when people are replying solely to correct you/tell you you're wrong and you're not actually discussing the topic.
I... never said I didn’t like Piccolo. Piccolo is a great character. I don’t think I compared Piccolo to No. 17 but Piccolo and No. 17 were equal in power but due to No. 17 having infinite energy, he would have lost against No. 17,

There’s no evidence supporting that he will become a “Nameccian God.” We don’t even know that there’s a form for him to be one. Piccolo doesn’t need to be a god to get stronger. Look at Golden Freeza

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 pm

There's usually been some kind of especial happenings that were set in place to allow Piccolo to grow in strength rapidly -- be that Namekian fusion or training with a Super Saiyan. It's only through the former method that he ever gained any real traction with overtaking his Saiyan competitors for a brief while. When he has relatively conventional methods to train with like in the Saiyan arc or the RoSaT, he's always playing second, third, or fourth fiddle to some other characters.

How can Piccolo be expected to follow in Golden Freeza's footsteps when he has none of the special conditions or attributes that enabled Freeza to achieve such results in the first place? Nothing about his efforts since the Buu arc indicates that he can achieve results like what the super mutants such as Freeza witnessed. It's for that reason that I believe Piccolo would be better off acquiring god ki and learning the Kaioken, or mastering this Ultra Instinct mode since it doesn't appear to be exclusive to Saiyans. I think it's either that or he retains the same meagre position he has at the moment. Alternatively, they could just stop trying to entice us with scraps of carrot and have Piccolo phased out since nothing earnest appears to be planned for him.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 am

Whatever wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Wait I just thought of something. If Piccolo fused with the universe 6 Namekians and then universe 6 was erased, what would happen? Would they just... cease from being a part of him? Weird hypothetical. :think:
They cease to exist once Piccolo assimilates them,Namekian assimilation pretty much means Piccolo eats them both body and soul and turns them into a part of his own power.
Well sure, but it's still them as part of piccolo though, so when you think about it, it makes Piccolo 2/5ths universe 6, and Zeno's erasure seems to erase EVERYTHING from the universe he's erasing, as shown with Obuni's locket, soooooooo.... 2/5ths of Piccolo's body just disappears? XD

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:27 am

Lionel wrote:There's usually been some kind of especial happenings that were set in place to allow Piccolo to grow in strength rapidly -- be that Namekian fusion or training with a Super Saiyan. It's only through the former method that he ever gained any real traction with overtaking his Saiyan competitors for a brief while. When he has relatively conventional methods to train with like in the Saiyan arc or the RoSaT, he's always playing second, third, or fourth fiddle to some other characters.

How can Piccolo be expected to follow in Golden Freeza's footsteps when he has none of the special conditions or attributes that enabled Freeza to achieve such results in the first place? Nothing about his efforts since the Buu arc indicates that he can achieve results like what the super mutants such as Freeza witnessed. It's for that reason that I believe Piccolo would be better off acquiring god ki and learning the Kaioken, or mastering this Ultra Instinct mode since it doesn't appear to be exclusive to Saiyans. I think it's either that or he retains the same meagre position he has at the moment. Alternatively, they could just stop trying to entice us with scraps of carrot and have Piccolo phased out since nothing earnest appears to be planned for him.
Toriyama should just have the Universe 6 Namekians introduce some kind of new power that Piccolo can train and get. Just like what happened between Vegeta and Cabba. It is as simple as that. It is staring Toriyama right in the face right now.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 am

Whatever wrote:
True for Nail, less so for Kami. The whole deal of that fusion was that he stopped being the Demon King and was technically a new person. It might've been more for the sake of dramatics, because he still looks, sounds and mostly acts like Piccolo but there was definitely a difference between the fusion with Nail and that with Kami.

If they'd fuse with him they'd probably use the type of fusion he had with Nail, otherwise they'd have to go trough that "I'm a different person" moment again, and nobody wants to see that.
Still think the fusion with Kami did more harm than good for the character.