Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 am

precita wrote:Roshi took out 3 of their fighters, Cabba took out the fat woman, and the other 3 were in this episode. And the green guy grabbed Goku in the very first episode, etc.

U4's fighters were spread out over the arc.
Sure they may have been spread out throughout the tournament but they could have done a better job of handling the final three. I mean Monna and the blind fox man got better fights than those three this episode, sadly U4 was rather disappointing in the end.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 am

Oh and I forgot to add something to my original post.

Was anyone surprised Kuro didn't have anything to say when they were about to get erased? I was expecting him to have a similar reaction to Quitela since we know he's also very egotistical.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:38 am

What... was that? What did I just watch? It was like what should have been 3 episodes condensed down into 1. That was quite possibly one of the worst paced episodes in the entirety of Super. The word FODDER has never been more clear, for Piccolo too. Really I'm just not sure what to say, I'm floored at how bad the writing was for this episode. It was like 106 all over again, possibly even worse.

Why the fuck was Quitela even so calm and non-caring about Jiren and Goku in the first place if his fighters sucked? Why did Beerus, Krillin, Tien, and Roshi forget that there's an invisible person in U4? They pointed it out multiple times in other episodes...

Remember how we were all saying that Universe 4 had those "bug" trump cards (one of them turned out to be a chameleon) that were going to be god level? Yeah, bet we look pretty dumb now thinking back.

Watch the next episode knock Gohan out as well, wouldn't be surprised.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 am

Who on earth thought the bugs would be god level? Seems like a bunch of random posters jumped to conclusions.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:47 am

precita wrote:Who on earth thought the bugs would be god level? Seems like a bunch of random posters jumped to conclusions.
If you look at the "Predict who will be the last 10 fighters" thread there's a bunch of people putting them in their top 10.

And given how confident and smug and calm Quitela was when he saw Jiren and Ultra Instinct Goku, it was safe to assume that the fighters he had left must be insanely powerful if Quitela doesn't even care about the power of Ultra Instinct. Nope! It's just straight up horrible writing instead.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:49 am

Speculation isn't the same as horrible writing. People jumped to conclusions. We were never given any indication bugs would be strong, or were hyped at all. They were simply not mentioned.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 am

precita wrote:Speculation isn't the same as horrible writing. People jumped to conclusions. We were never given any indication bugs would be strong, or were hyped at all. They were simply not mentioned.
Uh yes, we actually were given indication that the bugs, or at least Shantsa would be incredibly strong due to how Quitela didn't give a shit about Goku and Jiren. He would have no reason to be so cocky and arrogant except if he had some kind of trump card up his sleeve, but he didn't, and that's why it's horrible writing.

Ever hear of Chekhov's Gun? This is kinda like that. They introduced the concept of Quitela not caring about the strength of Ultra Instinct, and then did nothing to follow up with it or even give any inkling of an idea as to why he couldn't care less about that sort of power.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am

Asura wrote:
Nah, Gohan is mentioned in 121 spoilers. So he makes it till there atleast.

So, about the episode:

Katopesla was awesome. Seems u3 isnt that bad, especially if they make Gohan, Goku and Vegeta to struggle against them.

As for u4, i never bought the hype and simply ignored it, since Whis already said, there is 1, only 1 mortal above or at GoD level. So that means, only Jiren is a threat, everyone else is doable for u7.

I quite enjoyed the episode. More so than last one, oddly enough. It was simply fun to watch.

ulitmax999

Post by ulitmax999 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 am

Asura wrote: Remember how we were all saying that Universe 4 had those "bug" trump cards (one of them turned out to be a chameleon) that were going to be god level? Yeah, bet we look pretty dumb now thinking back.

The problem is you even think that there is a warrior that can complete with the MIGHTY ULTRA SUPER DOMINATING STRONG U7 warriors at all.

all trump cards are shit,

the robot trump card going to be shit too.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 am

precita wrote:Speculation isn't the same as horrible writing. People jumped to conclusions. We were never given any indication bugs would be strong, or were hyped at all. They were simply not mentioned.
There were still an air of mystery to them. Sure they're not as hyped and advertised as Universe 11, 6, 7, or freaking 2, but there was still a mysterious vibe to their characters and what threat they can potentially pose to our protagonists. For them to be undermined this quickly and easily by Universe 7 just like any other generic fodder in the ring is disappointing.

And they don't have to be on the caliber of a SSJB Goku/Vegeta or Jiren to be a threat.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:05 am

The eliminations felt really fast this episode. I knew we had the total elimination of U4 coming, but still. If they'd have made those battles parallel and put the eliminations closer to the end like last time, it wouldn't have felt so anticlimactic.

Well, at least they treated Piccolo ok (not great, of course). When Roshi spoke of blood from the nose and Gohan called Piccolo, I was legitimately afraid for a second, that Gohan would propose, "Hey Piccolo, lets rip off one of your papier-mâché arms and cover that guy in your purple blood".

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 am

darzap wrote:When Roshi spoke of blood from the nose and Gohan called Piccolo, I was legitimately afraid for a second, that Gohan would propose, "Hey Piccolo, lets rip off one of your papier-mâché arms and cover that guy in your purple blood".
I was literally thinking the same thing. I was gonna say oh man please no not again with the arms lol.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 am

When I think of characters built up, I think of characters like Caulifa and Kale. Or Toppo or Dyspo. Or hell...even the two Nameks had a bit of build up.

These guys had literally nothing. Yes the mouse god acted smug and confident...but let's face it he's a bit of an idiot. Look at the way he acted at the end of the episode. In fact most of the God's are idiots, but that's besides the point.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 am

All the hype of the sneaky Quitela having something planned to cause major trouble in the ToP and yet the episode didn't quite deliver. It was a fine episode. I almost got a heart attack seeing Gohan almost get eliminated. Piccolo got eliminations early with Gamisaras and Shantza so I kinda felt like this was the end for him.

I'm trying to imagine Gamisaras being used after Jiren vs Goku. Assuming Goku wins, tired Goku is standing there out of Ultra Instinct thinking he has won the tournament with no one else in sight on the battlefield. Then he gets repeatedly hit by Gamisaras but can't see him. Quitela cackles and says his plan to survive this long has worked. Goku on the brink of elimination goes UI to instinctively dodge Gamisaras attacks and eliminates him the way Gohan and Piccolo did. It's not an earth-shattering change by any means but I think using an invisible person to last that long in the ToP would prove how sneaky Quitela truly is. I know everyone wants the final fight of the ToP to be Jiren vs Goku but Hit vs Goku wasn't the final fight of the U6 vs U7 tournament, Monaka vs Hit was.

Anyways next episode will be interesting as the machines seem to become one supermachine and force Goku and Vegeta into SSJB perhaps.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:29 am

It's wasn't a fun episode like the previous ones, that's for sure, but neither do I think it's as bad as so many make it out to be. It was, however, somewhat of a chore to get through, I'll admit to that.

First of all, thank god they didn't go the way of the cringe and have Piccolo get eliminated "by accident". His role was handled well imo, and not only did he get to take out two more fighters, he saves two of his team mates. So technically, if it weren't for that, he would've been top 5 from U7. Let's look at it like that :P

One thing that stood out to me as bad writing, something I feel the team of the previous episode would've never done, was Piccolo saving 18 and then not have them say anything to each other. She just disappears. Previous writer loved and handled character interactions expertly,and it was one of the things that made 118 so great. This episode felt very lackluster in that department.

Anyway, it does look like the TOP is drawing to a close, so the fact that Piccolo made it all the way until here is more than most thought, so consider me pretty satisfied with his performance. Could have been better, but it could've been soooooo much worse.
Last edited by Michsi on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 am

dbzfan7 wrote:they coulda had the bugs basically knock off others and leave us in a mystery of what is happening over the course of several episodes. Never knowing when they will strike.
Exactly. It would've been a lot easier to swallow U4's trump cards being eliminated in a single episode if they had been relevant throughout the tournament. Let the invisible guy and microscopic guy pick off a character every other episode up into this point and it would've been fine. Eliminating Piccolo was literally the least they could do. Without that elimination U4 is non existant.
dbzfan7 wrote:Though really the whole tournament is a let down in this regard since everyone basically patiently waits for their turn with U7, outside of a handful of moments like in this ep.
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that every universe with the exception of U6 is working for U11. The way Jiren, Toppo, and Dyspo have been ignored is (I don't want to say bad writing) not the way I'd go about it. The way all the universes have gone about the tournament seems like making sure U7 loses is more important than making sure their universe wins. Invisible guy and Microscopic guy were hiding the entire tournament and the first time they expose themselves is to get rid of that power ranger that Vegeta would've eliminated anyway? They didn't take a chance to attack any of the stronger and fresher fighters such as Jiren, Toppo, or Frieza? I don't mind U11's key fighters making it to the end, that's to be expected. I do mind them not having to lift a finger to do so.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 am

So i guess, we got like 12 eps so ro left of the ToP, if it keeps going with 1 ep per 1 min.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:44 am

They gave Piccolo an unimpressive outing.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:53 am

buutenks wrote:So i guess, we got like 12 eps so ro left of the ToP, if it keeps going with 1 ep per 1 min.
Didn't they speed things up lately?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 am

Asura wrote:
I would be utterly shocked if Gohan doesn't make it to the final 3 or 4.